• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

"Richard Sherman Can't Let Go" (Very Long ESPN Feature Story)

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like Sherm is more than a little thin-skinned and good grief at all that new age bullshit in the article. That are touched on from not only Wilson and Carroll, but the writer of the article.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think The Seahawks are the only team in history to lead the league in fewest points allowed 4 years in a row, and they came very close to making it 5 in a row.
Carrol not only coached those years, he built the team from near scratch.
For some reason their SB against NE is the only one I didn't see in the past 40 or so years, I just wasn't in the mood, I might watch it online sometime. It pass attempt was a bad call because it didn't work, if it had worked, it would have been genius.

I don't know if calling a pass play was a bad call at that point. Calling a pass play that some Pats DBs were clearly ready n waiting for. As they beat Seahawks pass catchers to spots on the field. the pass catchers themselves really needed to get to if the play was to have any chance at success was a pretty bad call though.

So how many if any posters here buy into the notion that Carroll for whatever reason. Was trying to make it so Russell Wilson and not Lynch ended up as SB MVP? I think it's boo boo myself, but I can't front. I can't imagine anyone in the Hawks brass that would rather have Lynch winning MVP over Wilson. Still, I also can't imagine that Carroll would be thinking about any of that shit during the game and especially on that last drive of the Hawks.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like Sherm is more than a little thin-skinned and good grief at all that new age bullshit in the article. That are touched on from not only Wilson and Carroll, but the writer of the article.

Sure Pete lays it on thick, but he believes it. And AGAIN, negative fear motivation coaches have a shelf life.

Carroll let's the adults be adults. You get to be outspoken if you want, you get to dress how you want, you get to listen to the music you want.

Does that mean that there's no consequences if you step out of bounds? Nope.

Pete will also play a rookie FA over you if he's better, and ask Percy Harvin if you can do WHATEVER you want in Seattle.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure Pete lays it on thick, but he believes it. And AGAIN, negative fear motivation coaches have a shelf life.

Carroll let's the adults be adults. You get to be outspoken if you want, you get to dress how you want, you get to listen to the music you want.

Pete will also play a rookie FA over you if he's better, and ask Percy Harvin if you can do WHATEVER you want in Seattle.

Yeah, Carroll has his own style and it certainly has worked for him.

I guess one could say the same about Wilson. By the way, has anyone told Tim Tebow that Russell Wilson is coming for his title of 'Most Adored n Loved Man In American Christianity Today' and he's coming hard.

Sherm lost some cool points in my book today. I can dig it, thinking about losses and shit wondering.....if only......hell, I was cruisin yesterday and out the blue. I thought about a 9th grade basketball game that we lost, but should've won. I never once thew a hissy fit about it 2 years later while playing another game.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sherman needs to grow up. This is coming from a die hard Hawks fan (mid 90s when I was 10) that just got a #/25 Richard Sherman auto card in a box pull recently.

That said, sure... Seattle's defense is elite with exception of the interior D-line which gets melted like swiss cheese (hopefully McDowell fixes that) but give me a break. Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers are going to do ANYTHING against the lowest paid and least groomed (talent is different) OL in the league? Pathetic.

Wilson outside of Graham and a now emerging Baldwin has nothing on the OL and is constantly making plays with his feet.

The call at the 1-2 yard line I STILL say was okay. It was a bad throw and Lockette was "WTF WERE YOU THINKING!?" the wrong guy to receive it but it was fine. Why do I say this? Because pretty much the greatest NFL coach of all time in B.B said he would've done the same thing. Lynch had been stuffed earlier in the game against those situations and RW was the only reason inside the 10 Seattle was scoring. Maybe the reason it didn't work was Bill was anticipating (as a HOF and all time great coach) he'd do the same thing so called that play on his D... maybe just attribute it to GREAT coaching and the situation by NEngland? But no!!! everyone forgets when Jerome 'overrated IMO' Bus fumbled to nearly blow the season/SBOWL for the Steelers. Lynch could've done the same.

The whole "Stupidest call ever" might've been the dumbest overreaction by every announcer/fan ever when Seattle lost. It was a bad throw (should've been lower), to the wrong target (Lockette was a scrub), but outside of that, give me a break. It took numerous fluke PASSES by Wilson to even get there in the first place, not to mention a D that COMPLETELY broke down in the 4th quarter.

Richard Sherman instantly loses points in my view with his douchenozzle comments.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's the Miami Hurricanes' model from their punk champions days. Be yourself, be angry and arrogant, but be on time and work your ass off for the team.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if calling a pass play was a bad call at that point. Calling a pass play that some Pats DBs were clearly ready n waiting for. As they beat Seahawks pass catchers to spots on the field. the pass catchers themselves really needed to get to if the play was to have any chance at success was a pretty bad call though.

So how many if any posters here buy into the notion that Carroll for whatever reason. Was trying to make it so Russell Wilson and not Lynch ended up as SB MVP? I think it's boo boo myself, but I can't front. I can't imagine anyone in the Hawks brass that would rather have Lynch winning MVP over Wilson. Still, I also can't imagine that Carroll would be thinking about any of that shit during the game and especially on that last drive of the Hawks.

They weren't waiting for that specific play. They were well prepared by the coaching staff in film study, and had noticed Lockette 'leaning' on slant plays. Lockette leaned, Butler guessed right, and jumped the route.

Lockette doesn't lean? Probably an easy TD.

I don't buy the MVP agenda.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did a hockey documentary years ago, and interviewed a guy about a particular hard-ass coach. He made the point then that coaches like that eventually lose the room. And they ALL do, eventually. Negative motivation only lasts so long, then guys tune you out.

Reading between the lines in that story, I suspect that Sherman Smith was probably the source for the stuff he wouldn't go on the record for as well.

I think that what sticks in Sherman's craw is that nobody on the O is yelling at guys like he yells at guys.

That's just not Wilson's style. He's going to be doing what he did in the NFCCG against the Packers, keeping guys 'up' even when they've been shitting the bed for 3 quarters.

Good points. Now a days players don't respond well to being yelled, it's just the way it is. 10-15 years ago a hard ass coach could get away with it but not now and that's probably why Pete isn't an in your face coach. It might piss Sherm off but he needs to get over it and focus on his play which was meh last season. As for Wilson, he's always taken the blame for the offense being poor, so Sherm should back off of that.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This team sure seems to have more locker room issues than most? Or at least they have more leaks than others? That comes with letting them act like adults to use your phrasing of it.
As for Harvin. He never materialized/produced for them. Whether that was his doing, the game plan, personality conflicts, or injury/surgery we can only speculate. But it certainly made it an easier decision to trade him to the Jets. Even after the fleecing JS took for it.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think The Seahawks are the only team in history to lead the league in fewest points allowed 4 years in a row, and they came very close to making it 5 in a row.
Carrol not only coached those years, he built the team from near scratch.
For some reason their SB against NE is the only one I didn't see in the past 40 or so years, I just wasn't in the mood, I might watch it online sometime. It pass attempt was a bad call because it didn't work, if it had worked, it would have been genius.

Pete and company had a plan for a rebuild and did it quickly with guys that fit their type of system. Yes Wilson was a diamond in the rough but he still had to learn the system and try to perfect it. Pete put the Seahawks back on the map after they became old and stale in Holmgren's final years there, and Jim Mora Jr's disaster cup of coffee stop. I hate the play Bevell called cause with that many people up on the line it was too high risk. I'm fine with a pass play but it should have been play action to roll Wilson out and put people in motion. I would have been fine running Lynch as well even though he got stuffed twice during the game but could have given him the chance to bulldoze his way through. Like I've always said, Butler made a great play to end a really entertaining game and i've always given the Pats fans props for their team winning.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team sure seems to have more locker room issues than most? Or at least they have more leaks than others? That comes with letting them act like adults to use your phrasing of it.
As for Harvin. He never materialized/produced for them. Whether that was his doing, the game plan, personality conflicts, or injury/surgery we can only speculate. But it certainly made it an easier decision to trade him to the Jets. Even after the fleecing JS took for it.

All teams have locker room issues, it's just depends if the national media feels like covering it or passing on it. Also depends on the team too.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All teams have locker room issues, it's just depends if the national media feels like covering it or passing on it. Also depends on the team too.
Denial, not just a river in Africa, lol.

Hawk fans can't have it both ways. It's bigger than in most or it isn't? To say the national media may be part of the blame, meh? Too many west coast fans especiall 12s (people I deal with on any given day moreso than here on the hoop) tell us how there is an east coast bias that keeps their teams from getting the recognition they deserve. Again so it is or it isn't?

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not denying there isn't a locker room problem, there is a problem that needs to be sorted out before TC starts. Good teams get more coverage good or bad (you should know this as well) then other teams and I never said the national media is too blame, they just report what is going on. The Hawks were never fully on the map as they were inconsistently up and down so they didn't get the east coast coverage, but they do now. Philly sports talk has noticed the Seahawks as a dominate team. I see where they are coming from but you may think it's hog wash cause your from the east coast growing up on the Sox, Pats, Celtics and Bruins.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not denying there isn't a locker room problem, there is a problem that needs to be sorted out before TC starts. Good teams get more coverage good or bad (you should know this as well) then other teams and I never said the national media is too blame, they just report what is going on. The Hawks were never fully on the map as they were inconsistently up and down so they didn't get the east coast coverage, but they do now. Philly sports talk has noticed the Seahawks as a dominate team. I see where they are coming from but you may think it's hog wash cause your from the east coast growing up on the Sox, Pats, Celtics and Bruins.
:hockeysmile:Bruins:eek: you hush your mouth. Thems fightin words:crutch:

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sherman needs to grow up. This is coming from a die hard Hawks fan (mid 90s when I was 10) that just got a #/25 Richard Sherman auto card in a box pull recently.

That said, sure... Seattle's defense is elite with exception of the interior D-line which gets melted like swiss cheese (hopefully McDowell fixes that) but give me a break. Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers are going to do ANYTHING against the lowest paid and least groomed (talent is different) OL in the league? Pathetic.

Wilson outside of Graham and a now emerging Baldwin has nothing on the OL and is constantly making plays with his feet.

The call at the 1-2 yard line I STILL say was okay. It was a bad throw and Lockette was "WTF WERE YOU THINKING!?" the wrong guy to receive it but it was fine. Why do I say this? Because pretty much the greatest NFL coach of all time in B.B said he would've done the same thing. Lynch had been stuffed earlier in the game against those situations and RW was the only reason inside the 10 Seattle was scoring. Maybe the reason it didn't work was Bill was anticipating (as a HOF and all time great coach) he'd do the same thing so called that play on his D... maybe just attribute it to GREAT coaching and the situation by NEngland? But no!!! everyone forgets when Jerome 'overrated IMO' Bus fumbled to nearly blow the season/SBOWL for the Steelers. Lynch could've done the same.

The whole "Stupidest call ever" might've been the dumbest overreaction by every announcer/fan ever when Seattle lost. It was a bad throw (should've been lower), to the wrong target (Lockette was a scrub), but outside of that, give me a break. It took numerous fluke PASSES by Wilson to even get there in the first place, not to mention a D that COMPLETELY broke down in the 4th quarter.

Richard Sherman instantly loses points in my view with his douchenozzle comments.

I remember getting into some discussions after this occurred. I agree that the call was not a bad call in terms of calling a pass play. There were several strategical reasons for calling a pass play there, not limited to the fact that Lynch had already been stopped short a few times during this game (if memory serves).

As for the throw, I don't think it was a "Bad" throw, per se. It just wasn't a "great" throw to be where it needed to avoid the INT. But, you know what...I think that just means that it was a HELL of a play by the CB more than it was a bad play by the QB/WR. To me, it just goes back to the inability in this day and age to simply tip your cap to the other team/player when they make a great play that wins a game like that.

And in that same vein, that is one of Richard's biggest problem (IMO). He's great about being loud and out-spoken when things go well, and wants that tip of the cap in his direction and recognition. Yet He refuses to do the same when the other team comes up on top, makes great plays, etc. That's what I take away from the article, is that he still hasn't accepted that his team simply lost to a team that made one hell of a play. Tip the cap and move on, but he can't.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tell us how there is an east coast bias that keeps their teams from getting the recognition they deserve.

I believe there is an east coast bias. Though not as big or for quite the same reasons some might think. And west coast teams that win and/or are in the playoff hunt/title hunt get plenty props. Like the Warriors, Dodgers and Seahawks. Raiders talk, because the Raiders are finally coming up again, moreso than the move to Vegas has them on or close to everyone's lips of late.

Far as the bias/perceived bias goes. I think the time difference plays a pretty good part in it. When I was living in NY. It fucked my head up every time I'd get ready to go lie to, beg from or mack on some coochie. When I'd see it was 11 pm at night at it wasn't even halftime on the MNF game. Football being played at 11, 12 o'clock at night? What kinda shit is that?

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe there is an east coast bias. Though not as big or for quite the same reasons some might think. And west coast teams that win and/or are in the playoff hunt/title hunt get plenty props. Like the Warriors, Dodgers and Seahawks. Raiders talk, because the Raiders are finally coming up again, moreso than the move to Vegas has them on or close to everyone's lips of late.

Far as the bias/perceived bias goes. I think the time difference plays a pretty good part in it. When I was living in NY. It fucked my head up every time I'd get ready to go lie to, beg from or mack on some coochie. When I'd see it was 11 pm at night at it wasn't even halftime on the MNF game. Football being played at 11, 12 o'clock at night? What kinda shit is that?
I think it's more about an inferiority complex and pure #s. If we use the term "coast" literally look at the shear numbers. (-) the Lakers there have been zeros consistantly dominant teams from the west "coast".