• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Report: Patriots used deflated balls

#1BostonFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.40
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point this just gives everyone more reason to root for the Seahawks, which is going to be hard to do. I've stayed clear of these threads, so I'll probably continue.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Under inflated balls?
Oh stop.
Let's talk football.

Mr Steeler

ReMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course it is. The point is it made no difference in the game.[

So if the refs see a player holding they don't throw a flag if it doesn't affect the outcome of the play? I don't think so scooter. If they broke the rules they should be punished in whatever way the league says. The way I read it it's just a minor fine, so what's the big deal?

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LOL... This video cracks me up...

Last edited by a moderator:

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This whole thing is so weird. Never even heard of this issue before. It reminds me of the discussions surrounding the standardizing of the golf ball for all players. Ultimately, what kept prevailing is the notion that if that bloke beat you with that ball, why don't you use it? Wouldn't the simplest thing be for QBs to have pretty much any pressure they wish? If Luck wants a softer or harder ball, let him use what he wants. If Wilson wants the thing like a rock, let him pump it up. No QB is going to want to toss a pancake and none will want a bloated beach whale so why regulate it at all?

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,341.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mark Brunell said deflated balls would make a huge difference. He'd be able to throw it 10 yards further.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This whole thing is so weird. Never even heard of this issue before. It reminds me of the discussions surrounding the standardizing of the golf ball for all players. Ultimately, what kept prevailing is the notion that if that bloke beat you with that ball, why don't you use it? Wouldn't the simplest thing be for QBs to have pretty much any pressure they wish? If Luck wants a softer or harder ball, let him use what he wants. If Wilson wants the thing like a rock, let him pump it up. No QB is going to want to toss a pancake and none will want a bloated beach whale so why regulate it at all?

It's an interesting question. What is the purpose of regulating... if each team gets to use their own balls? The only thing I can think of is that the defense has a right to the football and would be handling the opposing teams football on a turnover... but that seems minor.

As of today, though, the regulation is there. So if one team chooses to alter the ball beyond the rules... they do gain an advantage over the other team who is following the rules.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's an interesting question. What is the purpose of regulating... if each team gets to use their own balls? The only thing I can think of is that the defense has a right to the football and would be handling the opposing teams football on a turnover... but that seems minor.

As of today, though, the regulation is there. So if one team chooses to alter the ball beyond the rules... they do gain an advantage over the other team who is following the rules.

I agree with that but for now the regulation is there.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough....Pats fucked up no doubt.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Using that line of reasoning, why not let them go back to taking a bath in stick-um before the game, let batters use aluminum bats, let of'ers use fish nets for gloves again, let pitchers scuff the ball, ...

The reason they have these rules is they don't want games to be decided by one team out-equipmenting the other. It's silly to argue. NFL has their rules with balls and the Pats thumbed their noses at it. It's a rule that doesn't need to be changed.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't read all the posts, however there could be an explanation for all this. If the balls were inflated in a hot room to 12 1/2 pounds and then taken outside in the cold, the air pressure would eventually become less.....just a thought.

Mr Steeler

ReMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Using that line of reasoning, why not let them go back to taking a bath in stick-um before the game, let batters use aluminum bats, let of'ers use fish nets for gloves again, let pitchers scuff the ball, ...

The reason they have these rules is they don't want games to be decided by one team out-equipmenting the other. It's silly to argue. NFL has their rules with balls and the Pats thumbed their noses at it. It's a rule that doesn't need to be changed.

Even further, whether or not the rule needs to be changed is a discussion for another day, the fact is that it is the rule right now.