• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Realignment Thread

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
West
nebraska, iowa, minnesota, wisconsin, northwestern, illinois, purdue, indiana

East

ohio state, penn state, michigan, michigan state, rutgers, maryland, VT, pitt

how sick would that be? man, i hope we leave.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
VT doing nothing while the ACC crumbles around them reminds me of Beamer doing nothing over the last few years when weaknesses in his coaching staff were obvious. Is there going to be a point where being in the ACC is as bad as being a VT football fan in 2012?

Peace, fooz. Enjoy the game this weekend. Go Hokies.

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
West
nebraska, iowa, minnesota, wisconsin, northwestern, illinois, purdue, indiana

East

ohio state, penn state, michigan, michigan state, rutgers, maryland, VT, pitt

how sick would that be? man, i hope we leave.

I kinda hope VT goes to the Big Ten too, but i think these divisions would be lopsided. East so much better than the West

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Skipped a bunch of posts but I'm assuming its mostly like all the other VT reactions in that "omg, we need to leave the conference because we're a football school". Why? Because Maryland just left for the Big 10? Please. Maryland is shit. They haven't been relevant in anything since 2002 and their AD is mismanged so badly that money starts to evaporate when you're within 100 yards of campus. Chill out. This is about Maryland having fucked themselves over more than it is anything else.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I kinda hope VT goes to the Big Ten too, but i think these divisions would be lopsided. East so much better than the West

Considering my neighbor is a huge Sparty fan and his other neighbor a big penn state fan, it would kick ass talking serious shit with these guys ... Tree is no shortage of osu and Michigan homers round here either

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Skipped a bunch of posts but I'm assuming its mostly like all the other VT reactions in that "omg, we need to leave the conference because we're a football school". Why? Because Maryland just left for the Big 10? Please. Maryland is shit. They haven't been relevant in anything since 2002 and their AD is mismanged so badly that money starts to evaporate when you're within 100 yards of campus. Chill out. This is about Maryland having fucked themselves over more than it is anything else.

mainly because of the direction of the ACC, not because maryland left necessarily. this will likely cause other teams like FSU and clemson to try and leave, and it seems the ACC is looking to add a basketball school like uconn.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
mainly because of the direction of the ACC, not because maryland left necessarily. this will likely cause other teams like FSU and clemson to try and leave, and it seems the ACC is looking to add a basketball school like uconn.

So what if they add UConn? Maryland is a basketball school too. This is a total non issue. Just because Maryland left, FSU isn't going to say "oh shit, we better run". FSU doesn't give a fuck about Maryland. Their decision to leave is totally independent of a school like Maryland. Panic if and/or when a football school actually leaves the conference. Maryland leaving isn't that.

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UCONN > Maryland... This doesn't change the ACC. A bigger move will need to be made for the conference realignment dominoes to start falling. Until SEC or B1G decide they want 16, nothing will happen. Who knows when that will happen, though.

This talk about VT to SEC, and ACC collapse happens every time someone leaves a conference, but ACC hasn't moved. I do admit that the ACC is fragile and once FSU, Clemson, or VT leave, the conference will deteriorate and football will be irrelevant in the ACC. If the 4-16 team super conference theory holds up, ACC is likely gone, but we still have a while until that comes along.

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont think you are getting what im saying. a founding member of the ACC leaves, that to me seems like a sign of instability. the teams the ACC is rumored to be looking at are either basketball schools or mediocre schools in football and basketball. FSU and clemson were rumored to almost have left last summer for the big 12, fsu and clemson are football schools in a basketball conference, this just gives them more incentive to leave. if and when that happens, things will get pretty wild again.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont think you are getting what im saying. a founding member of the ACC leaves, that to me seems like a sign of instability. the teams the ACC is rumored to be looking at are either basketball schools or mediocre schools in football and basketball. FSU and clemson were rumored to almost have left last summer for the big 12, fsu and clemson are football schools in a basketball conference, this just gives them more incentive to leave. if and when that happens, things will get pretty wild again.

Founding status doesn't mean shit. There isn't a physical structure where if you pull a structural beam, the whole thing collapses. This changes nothing on any front. This doesn't give FSU any more incentive to leave than they already had.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Depending on how cheap maryland gets out of this, it very well could be relevant. And I have a feeling if the big 12 had wanted to expand, FSU wouldve left. I expect the big12 to expand back to 12, at a minimum and FSU is at the top of their list and may leave. It seems as. If the b1g finally threw in the towel which means that they may be the first to expand, possibly forcing notre dame's hand at the same time. If ND is forced into a 16 team superconference, there's a 90% chance its the b1g. I think the next domino to fall will be on the big12, unless maryland gets off very cheap. Rutgers is gone today too

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Stop freaking out people. Like WildTurkey correctly said, Maryland is not important to this conference right now, besides rivalries. The common links between Maryland and Rutgers are that (1) their football stinks, (2) their athletic budgets are blood bath red, and (3) their schools are in the middle of hugely populated areas irregardless of the few people that care about them. This is basically the B1G equivalent of companies setting up their "corporate headquarters" in a mail box in the Caymans. It's money.

The ACC can even up with UConn or even improve with Louisville athletically. There is also the unpopular, but IMO not horrible, choice of unbalancing the divisions using the same model as the MAC.

I'm not worried about about a mass exodus because of this move. FSU has no more incentive now than a week ago, and even if Maryland worms out of the buy out, still no more incentive than the spring when rumors flew. I put Clemson in the same boat there, and I honestly don't think VT is competing for a particular spot with them. Even if the B10, B12, and SEC all went to 16, there are 10 spots.

For now, I'm enjoying the short drives, FSU and Clemson football games, UNC and Duke basketball games, and being in the same conference as our instate rival.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cosign. Better to be proactive than reactive. This is how we got to where where we are now with the ACC. The next logical step is moving to a stronger "football" conference.

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depending on how cheap maryland gets out of this, it very well could be relevant. And I have a feeling if the big 12 had wanted to expand, FSU wouldve left. I expect the big12 to expand back to 12, at a minimum and FSU is at the top of their list and may leave. It seems as. If the b1g finally threw in the towel which means that they may be the first to expand, possibly forcing notre dame's hand at the same time. If ND is forced into a 16 team superconference, there's a 90% chance its the b1g. I think the next domino to fall will be on the big12, unless maryland gets off very cheap. Rutgers is gone today too

I believe, this will be the key to it all. IF Maryland gets out of most of the exit fee, FSU will look at the Big12. FSU President Barron has already said he will be watching Marylands legal challenge against the ACC:

“The ACC lawyers are absolutely convinced it's binding,” Barron said. “If Maryland challenges it, I'll be watching closely to see if that works.”
Florida State president calls ACC 'strong' but says he'll watch Terps' exit-fee fight - CBSSports.com

For right now, though, neither FSU nor Big12 can afford that fee. Big12 does not have the same amount of cash that the B1G has, and I haven't heard of any FSU boosters who are willing to sell 1.5 million shares of stock to get them out of the ACC.

Also, anybody know how long this bickering over the exit fee will take? If it takes a year, then that's 1 year that nothing will happen.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont see how they will be able to fight the exit fee but we will see

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The ACC just has to show some plausible way that the fee can be explained by actual damages.

It will be interesting to see if they can do that, given the dollars involved all around.

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont see how they will be able to fight the exit fee but we will see

It will be tough. UMD's arguments are they voted against it in the first place and the fee is punitive. One issue UMD may face is if they take this to court and lose, they will have to pay more for the legal costs. We'll see, but I imagine this will be a long dragged out process.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if the B10, B12, and SEC all went to 16, there are 10 spots.

Thats interesting. I wonder who the ten teams would be, and who would get left out.

FSU
Clemson
Notre Dame
Georgia Tech
Virginia Tech
Pittsburgh
UNC
NC State
Louisville
Cincinnati
Virginia
Connecticut
Boston College

Duke, Wake, Temple, and South Florida will most likely be left out along with 5 of the schools listed below the line.

iv_hokie12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forty,

I don't want to put you on the spot but what happened with the Big 10 and Maryland. You were so sure that the story was bunk.