• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Realignment Thread

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It will be tough. UMD's arguments are they voted against it in the first place and the fee is punitive. One issue UMD may face is if they take this to court and lose, they will have to pay more for the legal costs. We'll see, but I imagine this will be a long dragged out process.

They can say what they want, but I think it can be argued, reasonably successfully, that the ACC has to go to a lot of trouble to replace them, and reorganize. There are a lot of financial concerns here. Is it $50 million worth? Given that UMD will initially be getting $24M a year at the Big 10, and has been publicly proclaiming they'll be getting $50M a year at renegotiation time, I think the argument can be made that the financial impact on the ACC is serious.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder if the B1G starting lining this up when the FSU/Clemson to the Big12 rumors were going around? Seeing that Maryland voted against the raised exit fee before ND to ACC was announced, you have to think these discussions had been going on for a while.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cosign. Better to be proactive than reactive. This is how we got to where where we are now with the ACC. The next logical step is moving to a stronger "football" conference.

I disagree here totally. We have no reason to be proactive. If there's really going to be a race to create 16 team super conferences, then conferences like the SEC and Big 10 will court us, not the other way around. We're one of just a few strong football schools out there. FSU, Clemson, Pitt, and us are sitting in a pretty good spot right now. It's other schools that should be worried. (I would include Miami but who knows what they'll be like if the NCAA actually sacks up and punishes them)

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyle Bailey (@TheClubhouseKB) tweeted at 7:56 PM on Tue, Nov 20, 2012:
#Hokies AD Jim Weaver says there "may be potential interest" in talking with the #SEC about future membership. Defers comment otherwise

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyle Bailey (@TheClubhouseKB) tweeted at 7:56 PM on Tue, Nov 20, 2012:
#Hokies AD Jim Weaver says there "may be potential interest" in talking with the #SEC about future membership. Defers comment otherwise

Considering how hush-hush Weaver normally is on these things, he has either officially lost it or he's already been in discussions with Slive.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering how hush-hush Weaver normally is on these things, he has either officially lost it or he's already been in discussions with Slive.

That's what I was thinking. That seems pretty significant to me coming from Weaver.

Rocco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Wonder if the B1G starting lining this up when the FSU/Clemson to the Big12 rumors were going around? Seeing that Maryland voted against the raised exit fee before ND to ACC was announced, you have to think these discussions had been going on for a while.

This became important to the B1G once ND sided with the ACC. The B1G has long wanted ND and became a jilted lover bound to get revenge.

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weaver backtracking quickly:

David Teel ‏@DavidTeelatDP
Just spoke w/#Hokies AD Jim Weaver about #SEC: "I just can't believe people are misrepresenting what I said."

Weaver continued: "There's nothing happening in regard to Virginia Tech going anywhere. I don't know how to say it any clearer than that."

More Weaver: "We've always wanted to be in the Atlantic Coast Conference, and we're pleased to be there."

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see how anyone is misrepresenting it. I don't think he meant we were leaving...just that there could be "potential" interest in leaving. I think we all know VT is happy in the ACC as long as it stays intact.

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Guys... VT is going to do what is best for them as an entire university not just a football program. Not much will come out to the public so all we can do is hope a decision is made...

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
247 is reporting that UNC & UVA are 2 of B1G's top targets should they decide to go to 16 teams.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
no surprise there at all ...

Virginia and North Carolina will be where B1G and SEC expansion finishes. The wildcard is Notre Dame. If they're forced into joining one of the "Big 4", someone is getting left out of the B1G, I'd say. Sounds like the Big12 (partial membership) will always be an option and, who knows, the Pac could be too.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will ask my friend today where UVA fits into the mix but the last I heard there just wasn't much interest on either end. UNC has become a factor since the Maryland deal went down but he still hypothesizes that VT and GT are the top goal right now.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will ask my friend today where UVA fits into the mix but the last I heard there just wasn't much interest on either end. UNC has become a factor since the Maryland deal went down but he still hypothesizes that VT and GT are the top goal right now.

I know you have spoken on this before 46, but it seems like the AAU status of a future school is a pretty big deal to them (B1G). It has even been mentioned in some of the press regarding Rutgers and the Terps. I don't know much about the politics of this "membership" and what you have to prove in regards to having a stellar reputation for research and all that. I thought you had said awhile back that VT is trying to get to this status.

Don't you think that could hurt VTs chances of a B1G invitation?? Right now the only B1G school (including RU and MD) that is not currently an AAU member is Nebraska. I assume they are trying to get AAU membership as well. On the flip side, ACC schools that DO currently have that status are UNC, UVA, GT, Pitt, and Duke.

Thoughts??