• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Realignment Thread

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Virginia Tech is well in its way to AAU status and in its report to trustees and visitors where it laid out its plans and gkals for 2015-2020, AAU application and acceptance is big. I was able to read through this as my family has several distinguished alum and it all seems very viable and VT is notorious for being conservative in setting goals in these things. I assume this document has made it to Jim Delaney and the presidents of the B1G schools. Fwiw, the research done at VT is very appealing to certain member schools up there. It is no longer about ivied walls and tweed jackets. People want to see tangible research, and the vet school, bioinformatics system, new med school as well as ties to USDA, FDA and DOD and their associated grants are all very appealing. VT is very much a rising stock right now but you all know that just by driving around campus and seeing the construction.

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't believe I'm even asking this, but what's the rumor mill saying about FSU and Clemson? The B1G is 100% out for those two, but anything on the B12 or SEC fronts?

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't believe I'm even asking this, but what's the rumor mill saying about FSU and Clemson? The B1G is 100% out for those two, but anything on the B12 or SEC fronts?

I would imagine that the B12 AND SEC schools (notable USC-e and UF) hope they would end up in the B12, if or when, future re-alignment and 16 team superconferences happen. I'm not so sure the same could be said for those two schools?? Either way, they will be the first 2 schools courted heavily from the ACC IMO. I feel like VT should not be left out either.

Somewhat OT--Spoke with a local radio personality on his show the other day about the Maryland move. I think this guy is in the know much more than the general public. Maybe he just can't say much?? I told him I thought Notre Dame accepting full membership was the "wild card" concerning the future of ACC football and that the ACC was going to turn into the Big East basketball conference. He kind of shrugged it off like the loss of MD was not that huge of a deal. He was talking about "the future 16 team superconference (4)" and almost acted like the ACC might be be one of those. I was a bit baffled by that.

I think it is just a matter of time before ACC football will be in complete disarray (a few more years). Once Clemson or FSU jump ship...the dominos will begin to fall and quickly.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have heard UNC showing interest but UVA did not show much to the B1G for what it's worth.

I wonder how much the Maryland move, and UNC interest, would change UVA's position.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no surprise there at all ...

Virginia and North Carolina will be where B1G and SEC expansion finishes. The wildcard is Notre Dame. If they're forced into joining one of the "Big 4", someone is getting left out of the B1G, I'd say. Sounds like the Big12 (partial membership) will always be an option and, who knows, the Pac could be too.

I've figured ND was keeping its options open and maintaining independence as long as it could, but locking itself into independence (which is essentially what the case would be if they don't join any of the big 4 moving to 16) is another matter. That will be interesting to watch. If ND decides to go B1G, I'm with 46 that it would make more sense for them to take VT as the 16th. If ND sticks to their guns, I would not be surprised to see UVA and UNC be the B1G choices.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will ask my friend today where UVA fits into the mix but the last I heard there just wasn't much interest on either end. UNC has become a factor since the Maryland deal went down but he still hypothesizes that VT and GT are the top goal right now.

you think they'd be willing to drop the contiguous states deal to take GT?

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Notre Dame is a game-changer. If somehow, Swoff could get them to agree to enter the ACC as a full member, all bets are off << but I don't see that happening.

I think that if the SEC wanted FSU, they'd already have them.

The Big12 is the only viable option for FSU and Clemson.

At this point, I just hope that VT lands somewhere if these superconferences come to be. I hate to say it -- but I hope UVA does too. I think it would be good for the state.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a minor technicality IMO .. Just draw a line through that bullet point in the bylaws and done

I don't know. I could see them doing away with it, sure, but I don't see it as a minor issue.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
The contiguous states thing is mostly travel based, with alittle tradition/culture aspect. That tradition and culture aspect went out the window IMO with Rutgers and Maryland. They're big state research schools, but the student bodies are much different. Everyone except PSU will fly to those schools (Minimum 500 miles / 9 hours from just Ohio State to Rutgers). With ATL right there, I can't imagine a travel issue (heck flying to a GT game is easier than driving from Richmond).

I wouldn't expect GT into the B1G though. It's an interesting exercise, but I really think there's easier money to be made for that conference. Then again, Rutgers and Maryland didn't seem like the best choices out there either so...

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we went to the big ten, not only would be stuck in boring, shitty, gay big ten... Uva would end up in the SEC. And bud foster would then be losing count of the losses in the football series... And on top of getting pounded every year by uva for eternity, imagine how much it would suck to have to hear them talk shit on our ass conference all the time.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see UVA suddenly out recruiting VT if they're in the SEC and we're B1G. B1G schools have had good success in our recruiting ground. If we continue to have better coaching (funny saying that after this year, but it's still true) and stay competitive in the conference (which will be easier for us to do in the B1G than for UVA to do in the SEC by a long shot) then VT should do just fine in state.

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see UVA suddenly out recruiting VT if they're in the SEC and we're B1G. B1G schools have had good success in our recruiting ground. If we continue to have better coaching (funny saying that after this year, but it's still true) and stay competitive in the conference (which will be easier for us to do in the B1G than for UVA to do in the SEC by a long shot) then VT should do just fine in state.

i agree. honestly, the B1G is a very attractive conference for players to play in i'd imagine given the history of the programs in it. playing against michigan, ohio state in particular would be very attractive, and historically it is certainly near or at the top. i think i'd prefer the B1G personally because of the region and i also think we could compete from day 1 there, where in the SEC i think we would struggle for a while.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd vote for B1G, as I like the academics as well as some of the teams VT would get to face.

It's a shame that UMD pulled the underhanded "sell out early" approach.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some media reporting that additional ACC to BigTen expansion news may be expected next week. UVA? UNC?