• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Realignment Thread

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If UNC were to bail on the ACC, that would essentially be the tipping point for the rest of the conference IMO. I don't think it is necssarily that the ACC couldn't survive (in football) w/out UNC, I think the rest of the conference would be terrified at that point. The AD's for the remaining ACC schools would be lighting up the SEC/B1G/B12 offices like a Jerry tele-thon. Going please, please, please

:pray:

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah .. Unc would be the straw that broke the camel's back...nothing states acc instability like unc bailing....all hell would break loose

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I saw this the yesterday too ... not sure how legit that 247 source (out of Cincy) is:

Cincy, Louisville & UConn to ACC on Monday? | The Key Play

Just for the sake of conversation:

If the ACC picked up all three of those teams (Cincy, Louisville, UConn), it basically tells me:

- they're willing to sacrifice academic integrity at this point
- this would put the ACC at 16 full-time members -- Notre Dame likely told the ACC, upon being pressured, that it had no intention of EVER becoming a full-time member
- they know the writing's on the wall .. this is a total desperation move

FWIW -- there's been a lot of chatter about Kansas to the B1G in the last week. I wouldn't be surprised if they were the next to be invited. Word is that Mizzou may be an option as well but not sure if they would leave the SEC at this point. I've also seen more than one article discussing the possibility of super-conferences being larger than 16 teams. I could see 18 teams or 20 teams per conference working .. not well .. but working.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
if this happens, TOTAL desperation move and Notre Dame as a full member is never gonna happen = take best available option to get out.

rfjeff9

THWG!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,435.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yikes, more of this stuff?

Will everybody please just leave the ACC so GT can win another Conf championship?

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Predicting this conference realignment bullshit has been about as exact a science as Mayan Doomsday scheduling.

Just fucking wait till it happens... then do nothing, because that's all you can do.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The latest: that the ACC is discussing the addition of Louisville, UConn, or ...

wait for it .....

the Naval Academy

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously the ACC is turning into a Dumpster Fire with bringing in shitty teams...

Straight up.

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ACC is straight up ASS. We gotta get outta here. #GodsConference

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
As a football conference the ACC cannot be saved. Almost all of the good football programs are in the big 4 BCS conferences. The gap between the 4 BCS conferences and the ACC/Big East is only going to get bigger. You think VT football is operating at a disadvantage with its rural location, playing it by the rules,etc., just imagine VT still in the ACC after the big 4 are done adding teams. The difference in football revenue and perceived weakness of the conference would make it almost impossible for VT to compete for anything of significance

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The latest: that the ACC is discussing the addition of Louisville, UConn, or ...

wait for it .....

the Naval Academy

Last edited by a moderator:

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Other than your comment about playing by the rule, I will agree with you on that fooz. You can still be competitive and successful and play by the rules. Not to say that you shouldn't operate at the fringe of the rules as long as you stay in bounds.

It's not all about the sports but athletics pays most of the bills and opens up other doors for the university, the local community, and the commonwealth. I feel like the long-term economic and financial implications of being stuck in a worthless ACC can't be ignored.

That being said, I have confidence that the university has contingency plans in motion. If I had to guess, they already have an open door to the SEC and will walk through it only if they need to. I'm not a big fan of them being reactive any longer though and I'm not sure if VT and UVA are working on this together, separately, or everyone is on their own. Judging by the way the ACC invite was handled, I have to think that they're in communications. With Maryland already grabbing up the DC TV market for the B1G, I think it makes people more nervous about VT's future. It was assumed that when the shit hit the fan, that one Virginia team would end up in the B1G and one in the SEC. That may not be a given anymore.

Whatever the case, I don't think it's wise to be reactive any longer. UNC will do what it needs to in the end, regardless of how it affects other schools (including Duke). VT and UVA should do the same.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than your comment about playing by the rule, I will agree with you on that fooz. You can still be competitive and successful and play by the rules. Not to say that you shouldn't operate at the fringe of the rules as long as you stay in bounds.

It's not all about the sports but athletics pays most of the bills and opens up other doors for the university, the local community, and the commonwealth. I feel like the long-term economic and financial implications of being stuck in a worthless ACC can't be ignored.

That being said, I have confidence that the university has contingency plans in motion. If I had to guess, they already have an open door to the SEC and will walk through it only if they need to. I'm not a big fan of them being reactive any longer though and I'm not sure if VT and UVA are working on this together, separately, or everyone is on their own. Judging by the way the ACC invite was handled, I have to think that they're in communications. With Maryland already grabbing up the DC TV market for the B1G, I think it makes people more nervous about VT's future. It was assumed that when the shit hit the fan, that one Virginia team would end up in the B1G and one in the SEC. That may not be a given anymore.

Whatever the case, I don't think it's wise to be reactive any longer. UNC will do what it needs to in the end, regardless of how it affects other schools (including Duke). VT and UVA should do the same.

Cosign my friend. While I don't think VT/UVA is really a package deal, I think it would be wise for both programs to start supporting each other on this end with jumping ship into another conference. I think the ACC is turning into the new Big East for sure. Better to jump ship now and control our destiny and head to the BIG / SEC rather than to be reactive and end up in a Big 12 / PAC 12.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a football conference the ACC cannot be saved. Almost all of the good football programs are in the big 4 BCS conferences. The gap between the 4 BCS conferences and the ACC/Big East is only going to get bigger. You think VT football is operating at a disadvantage with its rural location, playing it by the rules,etc., just imagine VT still in the ACC after the big 4 are done adding teams. The difference in football revenue and perceived weakness of the conference would make it almost impossible for VT to compete for anything of significance

By far one of your best posts sir.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tulane president in March: "My view is the Big East is not a power conference and anyone who thinks they are doesn't know athletics"

Tulane will be joining the Big East

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think that it's inevitable that the big 12 looks to expand and the b1g seems to want to go to 16 also .. Probably hinges on the buyout with Maryland

If no one else is inclined to leave without their brother, fsu will be the catalyst..it's pretty obvious by quotes from their administration that they have no loyalty to the acc and will leave if the money is right

Last edited by a moderator: