• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Realignment Thread

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have to announce by August 15 of this year to be allowed to withdraw from ACC for 2013-2014 season.

iv_hokie12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have to announce by August 15 of this year to be allowed to withdraw from ACC for 2013-2014 season.

I wonder what happens to the Alabama game if this happens? Still played, but as the opening in conference game? But yes. If we go into August 15 in limbo it could have the opposite effect on this class.

TagAndBrag

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I wonder what happens to the Alabama game if this happens? Still played, but as the opening in conference game? But yes. If we go into August 15 in limbo it could have the opposite effect on this class.

I'm sure the Bama game would be pretty much like GT this year. I get your point about limbo, but I have two counterpoints:

- if it's clear we aren't staying in the ACC, anything else would be an upgrade for in-state guys (region doesn't matter)

- "limbo" didn't hurt UNC or Miami's recruiting

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This has happened before with the PAC 12 when they decided to expand and there was a game scheduled between cal and Colorado before Colorado was in the pac 12. the game counted for records, but not as a conference game. My guess is that might also be the case if we were in the SEC at that point.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has happened before with the PAC 12 when they decided to expand and there was a game scheduled between cal and Colorado before Colorado was in the pac 12. the game counted for records, but not as a conference game. My guess is that might also be the case if we were in the SEC at that point.

It would also depend on the division we landed in. If we were in the same one as Bama then it would likely count. If we were opposite then it may not count as a conference game. The PAC12 game was against cross division teams.

Also there might be another conference game added to the schedule since there are more teams in the conference (9 conf, 3 non conf) so it may count either way.

Might be completely irrelevant if we go B1G

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
This whole realignment junk is the same every year. 95% is pure speculation and/or tall tales. There is no conference armageddon!

I'm sure that representatives of Virginia Tech are working as hard as others to form plans and partnerships for any scenario. I'm sure Tech officials have conversed with other schools and conferences, if only to maintain a relationship. There is no doubt that Tech has alot to offer a conference, and conferences have a lot to add to Tech athletics. However, it will be a slow process, IMO. As a whole, conferences will continue to be picky with expansion candidates. In return, the schools are thinking long and hard about priorities. This will mean slow aquisitions rather than the huge dooms day scenarios some envision. Virginia Tech won't wake up one morning "left out in the cold", and will have plenty of time to transition, if needed. With that said, I think more planning will occur before the next moves are made on a national level.

If you doubt that Tech doesn't have the skills to handle expansion, remember the ACC expansion. Tech slow plays, works with the situation as it happens, and is a firm supporter of the Big East deep into the process. When shit goes down, Tech lines itself up for the upgrade, and is the CLEAR winner of the 2004 expansion. Every expansion since has not hurt Tech, and therefore no action was needed. Now leveraging Virginia isn't an option if we were to pursue another move, but the fact is that there are very few names ahead of VT in the ACC, Big East, or even Big 12 WRT football. Tech is also improved in almost every way athletically and academically, compared to 2003. Don't expect Tech to be the first to leave, but I'm confident if change eventually happens, there will be options.

FSU seems to be the next big market catch available right now, but the last couple of years Texas seemed to be available too. Notre Dame also pops up every year with rumors, but we all know that they are perfectly content as an independent and very little can change that. At one point people speculated that the P10 and BE would split the B12, now those same people claim that the B12 is raiding the ACC. There is too much misinformation out there right now, and too many made up "sources". This is business: it's not instantanous, emotional, or without weighing significant risk, and the public won't know the facts until the two parties want them to.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're just worried you'll have to abandon your screen name.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
You're just worried you'll have to abandon your screen name.

LOL, Definitely a rep here. I don't think I have considered that before now though.

Let it be known to all SportsHoopla Hokies that I call dibs on any future conference abbreviation followed immediately by "_HOKIES"

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A little ESPN vid. Apparently Miami has recently committed to staying in the ACC <cough cough..bullshit>. VT is mentioned several times here as a very attarctive target for ANY of the major conferences outside of the ACC (minus maybe the PAC12).

Miami Committed To ACC - ESPN Video - ESPN

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anybody better wants Miami right now. SEC won't take another Florida school. There's no way B1G or Pac are interested. That leaves the B12, and I don't think they're high on the U at the moment. Those last 3 words perhaps being key. They can afford to wait a bit and see how hard the NCAA comes down on Miami and how well Miami rebuilds their football program. Depending on how that goes, maybe.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anybody better wants Miami right now. SEC won't take another Florida school. There's no way B1G or Pac are interested. That leaves the B12, and I don't think they're high on the U at the moment. Those last 3 words perhaps being key. They can afford to wait a bit and see how hard the NCAA comes down on Miami and how well Miami rebuilds their football program. Depending on how that goes, maybe.

Is there any word that the NCAA is even investigating right now? So far it's all talk from Shapiro... how much evidence he kept would be interesting to see... but this looooooooonnnnnnnggggg delay has let Da U run the paper shredder for almost a year.

What will be left to investigate when the NCAA finally decides to serve notice? Then it will be a year or more until they finish that investigation and propose a penalty... which will be appealed... the conference shuffle will probably precede all of that.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there any word that the NCAA is even investigating right now? So far it's all talk from Shapiro... how much evidence he kept would be interesting to see... but this looooooooonnnnnnnggggg delay has let Da U run the paper shredder for almost a year.

What will be left to investigate when the NCAA finally decides to serve notice? Then it will be a year or more until they finish that investigation and propose a penalty... which will be appealed... the conference shuffle will probably precede all of that.

huh? The NCAA has been investigating for over a year now. It's not just all talk from Shapiro.

Miami Hurricanes sanctions - Sun Sentinel

Yes, it will be a while yet until the investigation concludes. Whether or not the conference shuffle will conclude first remains to be seen (although I wouldn't be surprised if it does). At the least the B12 can afford to keep their ears open for a bit longer before inviting Miami. They've got other schools to focus on first anyway. Their top priority has to be getting to 12 so they can have a championship game, and Miami will not be one of the first 2 in.