• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024-25 Off Season Thread

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buster can ask for whatever he wants, I wouldn't sign him past 2 years/$7 million tops. Tender him his MQO and let the negotiations begin, kind of like how The Legend was paid (2 years roughly $3.1 million AAV I believe?).

He hasn't earned it or showed it although he took a big step forward last season finally. He's still behind for the 2020 draft class, and his disappearance the last quarter of the season and essentially non impact against the Oilers would make me hesitate to give him more, maybe the next contract.

Lafreniere finally made an impact during the POs, he obviously went one before Buster but he scored clutch and timely goals, was a physical presence and finally showed why he went 1OA. Buster didn't do anything from February on. He hurt his own value in a contract year with the no show so I can't see a huge deal coming for him.

That'll leave the Kings with more space for the other moves you're talking about.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TA going even deeper on UFA defensemen, Roy projected as #3 after Montour and Tanev.

Over the last few seasons, Matt Roy has developed into a defensive rock for the Kings. Los Angeles has grown into one of the league’s best defensive teams in recent years and Roy is a big part of that in their top four. Over the last two seasons, the team has earned 0.25 more expected goals per 60 with Roy on the ice, and he has allowed just 2.26 expected goals against per 60. Last season, the Kings earned 57 percent of the goals and expected goals with Roy on the ice. That was while sharing tough-minute responsibilities with the top pair. Drew Doughty’s pair played more difficult minutes, yes, but the difference wasn’t big.

Roy ended up with a plus-4 Defensive Rating on the season, which is right in line with his projection for next season. It’s also the 12th-highest mark in the league among defensemen, sandwiched between Chris Tanev and Esa Lindell. He’s a strong shutdown type who can eat minutes — while not being a drag offensively, either. It’s worth mentioning that while the Kings faltered over the last two playoffs against the Oilers, Roy was far from a problem there. His goal and expected goal rates were above 50 percent both years. To do that against a steady diet of Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl isn’t easy.

Some may balk at a potential $6 million price tag, especially considering he’s 29. But Roy has been a sneaky good top-four option for the Kings. He can play on a top pair and bring out the best in an offensive No. 1.

Not bad at all for a fourth round pick, I just hope he stays in LA on a friendly deal. Big loss if he leaves, plus I'd be nervous every night rolling out Clarke and Spence as 2RD and 3RD.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240606_090518_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20240606_090518_Firefox.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 0

LAKINGSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buster can ask for whatever he wants, I wouldn't sign him past 2 years/$7 million tops. Tender him his MQO and let the negotiations begin, kind of like how The Legend was paid (2 years roughly $3.1 million AAV I believe?).

He hasn't earned it or showed it although he took a big step forward last season finally. He's still behind for the 2020 draft class, and his disappearance the last quarter of the season and essentially non impact against the Oilers would make me hesitate to give him more, maybe the next contract.

Lafreniere finally made an impact during the POs, he obviously went one before Buster but he scored clutch and timely goals, was a physical presence and finally showed why he went 1OA. Buster didn't do anything from February on. He hurt his own value in a contract year with the no show so I can't see a huge deal coming for him.

That'll leave the Kings with more space for the other moves you're talking about.
Thats all true but we are all assuming that Blake wont panic and overpay yet again.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not sure how valid but Kings maybe announcing a rebranding before the draft. Sounds like return to Gretzky-era logo and so forth.

histkng23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly don't get the purpose of the "rebranding" of the team logo/jersey. Personally, I like the "Home Plate" emblem, and the simplicity of their jerseys. Plus, coincided with their most successful era, why move away from that?? Especially, going back a era that, while exciting, was the biggest smoke & mirrors era of the franchise. Seems gimmicky....

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can’t understand why AEG would let Blowby continue running the team? Now that we pretty much all know this is his last year, why allow him to stay? The new GM is going to be settled with a coach they may want to replace and a roster that needs to be fixed. Whether that’s through the draft (though Blowby is really a bad at it), trades (he’s not very good at these too), or free agency (see the other two). And all of these things should be done by the new GM and dare I say an entire new front office.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TA released team broadcast rankings based on fan voting, Kings came in 15th:

15. Los Angeles Kings
The Broadcast: Bally Sports West carries Kings games, with Nick Nickson on play-by-play (Josh Schaefer filling in for select games) and Jim Fox on color. Daryl Evans is an additional on-air personality from ice level.

Local ranking: 14

National ranking: 21

Last season: 12

The results: Alex Faust, who succeeded the legendary Bob Miller as L.A.’s play-by-play caller in 2017, wasn’t renewed last summer despite being popular among fans. Nickson, the Kings’ longtime radio voice, assumed simulcast duties in Faust’s place. Simulcasting radio and TV can be difficult, but the veteran Nickson handled it impressively.

“He’s got the classic announcer voice that takes me back to the Bob Miller days,” said a Kings fan. His voice seems very natural and he isn’t trying too hard like many others around the league.”

Nickson is viewed as a treasure, although some fans still miss Faust.

“I know many Kings fans will boo me for saying this, but Nick Nickson was a downgrade this year as compared to Alex Faust,” argued another fan. “Alex was getting better and better and I think Nick has slowed down the past few years.”

On the color side, Fox is annually regarded as one of the league’s best analysts. It’s challenging to provide deep, insightful analysis on the fly, but Fox has proven to be one of the best in the business at it.

I personally was never a fan of Faust and enjoyed the trio of Fox, Evans and Nickson. Then again I'm also old school so there's that as well. I think they did a good job, it was a unique situation this season with a simulcast involved.

Ducks came in 23rd, and something we always knew mentioned:

Ahlers and Hayward were also complimented for doing a better job this season of being “even and professional.” This is a notable adjustment as Hayward in particular had been criticized for being too strong of a homer in years past.

Anaheim’s broadcast still struggles in national polling and respondents believe its analysis isn’t particularly insightful or cutting edge, but it took a step in the right direction in 2023-24.

Color me shocked.

LAKINGSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was indifferent with Faust. I didnt think he was bad, but he is coming in after a legend so it would have been difficutlt for him to win over the fanbase. With that being said, I think Nickson is more knoewledgeable about the game and does an overall better job. I think having Nickson actually made Fox better. I like it when the call out or mention when the Kings or a certain player isnt performing all that well. With Faust it seemed like he and Fox would just start having a random conversation with they werent playing well.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree it was a difficult position to step into, and initially my thoughts were I will give him the first season and see how he does/improves. I don't believe he did by the end of that season.

There was just not enough flow between the two IMO, Faust would go on tangents about his mom's lasagna recipe or something while play was going on or to fill in dead space. He also was not knowledgeable about the sport, which was the bigger issue to me. It wasn't nearly as bad as Hextall's "checks up" but it was bad.

Nickson more than amply filled that role and between the three it just seemed like a better fit and flow, all 3 played off each other like a natural conversation.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Articles like this confuse me. Not sure why this was recommended to me. Sabres article talking about making a push for Byfield, but it doesn't mention anything about what would be sent in return. Just maybe making a qualifying offer as Byfield is a RFA.

LAKINGSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Articles like this confuse me. Not sure why this was recommended to me. Sabres article talking about making a push for Byfield, but it doesn't mention anything about what would be sent in return. Just maybe making a qualifying offer as Byfield is a RFA.
Weird. Are they assuming that the Kings wont send an offer to QB? Or, if the Sabers do, the Kings wont match? Coorect me if I am wrong but if they send an offersheet to QB and the Kings dont match, dont the Kings get high draft picks? see below

$1,511,701 AAV or less - No compensation$1,5111,701 to $2,290,457 - 3rd round pick$2,290,457 to $4,580,917 - 2nd round pick$4,580,917 to $6,871,374 - 1st and 3rd round picks$6,871,374 to $9,161,834 - 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks$9,161,834 to $11,452,294 - Two 1st's, 2nd and 3rd round picksAbove $11,452,294 - Four 1st round picks

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Because Buster Plays a really good center Position? Seems like if you want to upgrade a position.You should go after a player.That's played the position within the last two years

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're looking at the Kings' cap situation and leveraging an Offer Sheet. But based on his body of work would you really offer the guy $5+ million? Especially for someone who doesn't play C as his primary position? He isn't worth $5 million yet and anything under that the pick returns are meh and the Kings would match no question and start doing cap gymnastics to fit him in.

This reeks of the Tage Thompson situation where the Blues sent him after 3 years in the organization to Buffalo and he exploded for 1.5 seasons but came back to earth this season. Big guys, first round picks, taking longer than usual to develop. Sabres are thinking they can strike lightning in a bottle twice.

Also whoever wrote that article should learn the CBA, he will not be a UFA on a 2 or even 3 year bridge deal - still an RFA (8 years experience/27 years old by June 30, whichever comes first) so he has a ways to go turning 22 this August.

Kind of a silly article really...

histkng23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Blatant obvious admission that Kings had turned into a Country Club Good 'Ol Boy Fraternity under Blake & Luc! Sounds as bad as when Jerry Brown pushed for the High Speed Train in CA just so he could give his political buddies fat government contracts to get $$$ without actually doing anything...