• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Realignment Thread

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Conference Wishlist -

1) B1G
2) #Godsconference (sigh)
3) 15 +1 team ACC
4) BIG XII (why are they still calling themselves that?)

5) fuck, I dunno... the Premiership?

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
yeah -- totally disagree with the notion that UNC won't leave .. if super-conferences come about, UNC will not be left out, even if that means leaving Duke behind. They may be stubborn, arrogant, and full of pride -- but they're not stupid ... thing is they don't have to get in a rush. Aside from Notre Dame, they are probably the biggest "get" out there (with FSU as a close 3rd). I think UNC ends up in the B1G if they leave (with LOAFERS) and VT/NC State end up in the SEC. This may not be indicative of the desire of the conferences or schools individually -- just makes the most sense to me.

I must say that Rutgers to the B1G is a head-scratcher. I would think they'd go for Pitt or Cuse first.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm telling you, UNC will never give up control over their own conference. Why leave? Already one of the top basketball schools in the country regardless of which conference, they have a great athletic department that consistently wins in Olympic sports (especially soccer), nation-wide fan base with continued appeal, and no more than casual desire to have a top flight football program. Very little benefit for them to leave for any conference.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
mo' money .... moving to the B1G wouldn't hurt UNC's basketball brand or their athletic reputation but it would generate much more football revenue ... money talks

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You Hokies haven't been around long enough to understand the thought processes that run rampant in Chapel Hill :L

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm telling you, UNC will never give up control over their own conference. Why leave? Already one of the top basketball schools in the country regardless of which conference, they have a great athletic department that consistently wins in Olympic sports (especially soccer), nation-wide fan base with continued appeal, and no more than casual desire to have a top flight football program. Very little benefit for them to leave for any conference.

Because football is the money-making sport. If you go from having a team that is making a profit from their football team to a team that is losing money because they are a mid-major football program what does that do to the other sports like soccer and field hockey?

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FINALLY YOU GOONS ARE HEARING ME ON #GODSCONFERENCE !!!!!!!

I think this happens..... Partially hope, must admit.

SEC invites us. Says they are good at 15. Big ten then adds 7-75 and one more (could be cuse, gt, uva)

Then the SEC basically has their pick of the lot for number 16. This will also make unc realize..., oh shit!!! And then UNC becomes SEC number 16.

Big 12 ends up with fsu, clemson, nc state, ga tech, and also could see them adding louisville, and one other of who is left to get to 16. (My call is miami)

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because football is the money-making sport. If you go from having a team that is making a profit from their football team to a team that is losing money because they are a mid-major football program what does that do to the other sports like soccer and field hockey?

UNC will not have that problem; their revenue is mostly generated through basketball. Top 50 Most Profitable FBS Football and Men’s Basketball Programs

UNC generated over 24 million (13 of it being from basketball) combined with football and basketball during the '10-11 season while still in the ACC. With their level of influence over the ACC and its direction, I will reiterate that they have little incentive to leave, especially when Pitt and Syracuse arrive to boost those round ball numbers.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True, but UNC B-Ball also makes infinitely more $$$$ than most NCAA basketball programs. I don't think they will be the first to jump ship, but it would not surprise me to see them bolt under dire circumstances (as MattB put it).

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UNC will not have that problem; their revenue is mostly generated through basketball. Top 50 Most Profitable FBS Football and Men’s Basketball Programs

UNC generated over 24 million (13 of it being from basketball) combined with football and basketball during the '10-11 season while still in the ACC. With their level of influence over the ACC and its direction, I will reiterate that they have little incentive to leave, especially when Pitt and Syracuse arrive to boost those round ball numbers.

So how much money would Carolina be losing if they decided to stay in a basketball conference and relegate themselves to a non-BCS level football program?

There are a whole lot of C-USA football programs that just arent profiting...
C-USA Financials ’10-’11

They can't lose 11 million dollars of annual profit and expect to keep their Olympic Sports going at the same rate. Football is a big deal...

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So how much money would Carolina be losing if they decided to stay in a basketball conference and relegate themselves to a non-BCS level football program?

There are a whole lot of C-USA football programs that just arent profiting...
C-USA Financials ’10-’11

They can't lose 11 million dollars of annual profit and expect to keep their Olympic Sports going at the same rate. Football is a big deal...

Not enough for them to cede their stranglehold on a conference and sacrifice basketball competition. The ACC will move forward, likely with 14-16 teams, but will not have Clemson, VT, or FSU as a part.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
UNC's basketball revenue was 3rd amongst schools in NCAA with roughly $24 million

They were in the mid-40s for football revenue (around 22 mil)

What does that tell you?

Yes -- these numbers don't take increased football expenses into account but as one earlier poster stated ... UNC football being decimated (and it will be in a shitty ACC) and the ENTIRE AD bottom line drops. Eventually, it affects other sports, including basketball. Leave for the B1G and frankly, I don't think their basketball brand is hurt AT ALL. There is no reason to stay. Money overrides control. With no money, there will be no control.

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dismissing the historical ramifications so quickly, are we not? UNC has never made any moves that have split them and Duke apart, and no amount of realignment money is going to do so. They made their bed long before any of this came about, and if you think the alumni from Chapel Hill are going to allow the destruction of a bitter rivalry without massive, Texas-like concessions you need to reexamine the situation. Even if the current ACC falls apart, UNC and Duke are simply not going to end up in separate places. Their brands combined with alumni support will be enough to guarantee the survival of whatever remains of the ACC.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UNC's basketball revenue was 3rd amongst schools in NCAA with roughly $24 million

They were in the mid-40s for football revenue (around 22 mil)

What does that tell you?

Yes -- these numbers don't take increased football expenses into account but as one earlier poster stated ... UNC football being decimated (and it will be in a shitty ACC) and the ENTIRE AD bottom line drops. Eventually, it affects other sports, including basketball. Leave for the B1G and frankly, I don't think their basketball brand is hurt AT ALL. There is no reason to stay. Money overrides control. With no money, there will be no control.

I don't think people understand that even if the ACC stays "in tact" that the conference be a mid-major program. The basketball program will profit in any conference, and i can't envision any kind of scenario in which the basketball brand would be damaged.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dismissing the historical ramifications so quickly, are we not? UNC has never made any moves that have split them and Duke apart, and no amount of realignment money is going to do so. They made their bed long before any of this came about, and if you think the alumni from Chapel Hill are going to allow the destruction of a bitter rivalry without massive, Texas-like concessions you need to reexamine the situation. Even if the current ACC falls apart, UNC and Duke are simply not going to end up in separate places. Their brands combined with alumni support will be enough to guarantee the survival of whatever remains of the ACC.

I don't think you know the history of the Duke - UNC rivalry. UNC - NC State was the biggest rivalry before Coach K and Dickie V. I don't think alumni would have an issue with Duke being in another conference, especially considering K can't coach forever. There is no telling what direction Duke will move in after Ks departure.

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duke basketball will continue to prosper after Coach K leaves, just like UNC's did when Smith left.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does VT have a package deal clause with BrieandChard?

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Dismissing the historical ramifications so quickly, are we not? UNC has never made any moves that have split them and Duke apart
it hasn't had to .. for the UNIVERSITY'S future financial viability, it will have to -- if other universities bail

and no amount of realignment money is going to do so. They made their bed long before any of this came about
oh yes ... enough money will make it so or more likely the scenario, the fear of being left out of MORE money and not having the chance to play for a natty -- Notre Dame will eventually be in the same predicament.

and if you think the alumni from Chapel Hill are going to allow the destruction of a bitter rivalry without massive, Texas-like concessions you need to reexamine the situation
Who's to say that the rivalry can't continue?

Even if the current ACC falls apart, UNC and Duke are simply not going to end up in separate places. Their brands combined with alumni support will be enough to guarantee the survival of whatever remains of the ACC.
Their college basketball brands (together or not) can compliment each other just fine with them being in separate conferences. In the end, UNC will do what they have to do.

Trust me -- nothing would please me more (as a VT fan) for them to stick to their guns. In the long run, their entire athletic department would suffer drastically for it ... I just don't see them going down with a sinking ship...a little premature to say the ship is sinking -- but if it does, don't look for UNC to stick around.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duke basketball will continue to prosper after Coach K leaves, just like UNC's did when Smith left.

I wouldn't be so sure about that, and im not the only one.