• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Realignment Thread

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So where do the other non football expenses come from? Vt is able to pull a significant profit yet their net income from football and total AD spending was relatively the same as clemson and their profit from basketball was relatively the same...sounds like they're too much money on Olympic sports to me....reduce spending equals balanced budget? It would be nice if vt could have works class non revenue sports like the Stanfors, FSUs, and Notre Dames of the world, but the fact is they don't have the money to do so, and neither does Clemson

A lot of it had to do with upkeep of the aquatics facility; now that the teams no longer exist, some comes from the recent baseball stadium expansion, but more from the keeping the crew team from having to row with wheels on their boats. Lake Hartwell has been down significantly the past 5-6 years and they continually have to move the course and dredge the course. The ACC Championships have been held there multiple times in the past decade and it ain't cheap to maintain the upkeep. Clemson also pumps a lot of money into the track and field teams.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of it had to do with upkeep of the aquatics facility; now that the teams no longer exist, some comes from the recent baseball stadium expansion, but more from the keeping the crew team from having to row with wheels on their boats. Lake Hartwell has been down significantly the past 5-6 years and they continually have to move the course and dredge the course. The ACC Championships have been held there multiple times in the past decade and it ain't cheap to maintain the upkeep. Clemson also pumps a lot of money into the track and field teams.

Ouch....

NCAA Division I 2012 Outdoor Track & Field Championships - Final Standings
1) Florida 50
2) LSU 48
3) Texas A&M 40
4) Florida State 38
5) Virginia Tech 33
6) Auburn 30
40) Clemson 6

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Swofford was down at Clemson today. More or less begging Clemson to stay from what I've read.

Clause in sec/big 12 champions bowl stipulates that there must be a conference championship game in both leagues for it to occur. Big 12 is getting their hand forced by slice. EXPANSION IS COMING PEOPLE!!! Slive is a badass!

Fsu, Clemson, GT, and Louisville to big 12. Brings 4 natural rivalry games to the big 12/SEC
as they want to be intertwined. VT to Gods Conference makes a VT/WVU rivalry fall into that category as well. School #16 for SEC's /their rival still TBD.

Still a chance it happens this summer, but probably next (in time for 2014 reworking of conference networks, playoffs, etc)

Rocco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Swofford was down at Clemson today. More or less begging Clemson to stay from what I've read.

Clause in sec/big 12 champions bowl stipulates that there must be a conference championship game in both leagues for it to occur. Big 12 is getting their hand forced by slice. EXPANSION IS COMING PEOPLE!!! Slive is a badass!

Fsu, Clemson, GT, and Louisville to big 12. Brings 4 natural rivalry games to the big 12/SEC
as they want to be intertwined. VT to Gods Conference makes a VT/WVU rivalry fall into that category as well. School #16 for SEC's /their rival still TBD.

Still a chance it happens this summer, but probably next (in time for 2014 reworking of conference networks, playoffs, etc)

Are you getting your info from Brian Ethridge at the Baylor 24/7 site? He's posted about 3 different times this summer dates where he said an expansion announcement would definitely be made according to his sources and whiffed every time.

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ouch....

NCAA Division I 2012 Outdoor Track & Field Championships - Final Standings
1) Florida 50
2) LSU 48
3) Texas A&M 40
4) Florida State 38
5) Virginia Tech 33
6) Auburn 30
40) Clemson 6

We all appreciate your valuable contribution to the conversation. Maybe your football team will show up next year? :think:

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh man Ballyboy that was a lowblow. Good thing most of us know you from the ESPN days and you are good people. :)

Seeing how Clemson came between VT and a possible MNC game last year I have a hunch Clemson will be getting the lunchpail VT team most of us have come to love over the years.

:kk:

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I can't talk trash to a fan of a team that smoked us twice. I just can't do it.

Maybe we'll change our signals or playbook this year. That should eliminate part of the Clemson advantage.

When you only have 5 plays, and they know all of those and when you're going to use them, it's very difficult.

It would be nice to have a couple of "unpublished" plays. Then again, OUR team needs to know them. We saw in the Sugar Bowl what happens when you try a trick play that your own team doesn't know.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh man Ballyboy that was a lowblow. Good thing most of us know you from the ESPN days and you are good people. :)

Seeing how Clemson came between VT and a possible MNC game last year I have a hunch Clemson will be getting the lunchpail VT team most of us have come to love over the years.

:kk:

We shall see sir, at least this year we have the luxury of playing you at home...

I can't talk trash to a fan of a team that smoked us twice. I just can't do it.

I wouldn't take offense at all; it's all part of being a fan sir!

1) they cheated

2) just watch the "clemson virginia tech big hits 2007" video on youtube, it will make you feel much better.

:laugh:

Well considering Clemson fans were doing it even before last year, I would not object if you did.

:confused2: not sure how many Clemson fans actually did that, and if you're referring to other message boards, I wouldn't put much stock in those assholes.

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe we'll change our signals or playbook this year. That should eliminate part of the Clemson advantage.

When you only have 5 plays, and they know all of those and when you're going to use them, it's very difficult.

It would be nice to have a couple of "unpublished" plays. Then again, OUR team needs to know them. We saw in the Sugar Bowl what happens when you try a trick play that your own team doesn't know.

Well, at least Stinespring has been demoted; I can very easily recall the years of the infamous Rob Spence "bubble screen" offense :L

And besides, you have Mike O'Cain as the QB coach; obviously he's the one sending us the play books and signals :wink:

Whatsupppppppp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Five consequences of a college football playoff that nobody is talking about | Saturday Down South

1. The gap between the “have” and “have-not” programs in college football is widening, and the number of “have” programs is shrinking.

The big question is what happens with the ACC. As the spread between the haves and have-nots widens, the football powers in the ACC will likely feel the pressure to seek a better conference that will reward its status as a football power.

Teams like Clemson, FSU and Virginia Tech don’t deserve to be on the same financial level as Duke, NC State and Syracuse.

The ACC will break at some point. The economics are unavoidable.

2. Most bowls will become like the NIT basketball tournament
3. Expect to pay more for your cable bill
4. Some football programs will likely go under
5. The NCAA is increasingly irrelevant

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You'd think that between football and basketball, the ACC would do alright.

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You'd think that between football and basketball, the ACC would do alright.

The "bigger" programs will ultimately be fine (don't confuse "bigger" with successful here). Football programs like VT, Clemson, FSU, Pitt, and to some extent NC State, GT, and maybe Miami (if they can avoid imploding) and basketball schools like UNCheat and Duke can generate the revenue regardless of conference affiliation (provided they are in a conference). The fan support/brand of these type of schools will be more than enough to save them, but it's going to be interesting to see what happens over the next decade.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well .. Now there's rumor that acc and B1g could be strumming up a deal similar to the b1g/pac12 deal that fell through. If that were the case then the acc would likely back up to 8 conference games

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well .. Now there's rumor that acc and B1g could be strumming up a deal similar to the b1g/pac12 deal that fell through. If that were the case then the acc would likely back up to 8 conference games

^^^and that would be a great thing for the acc

:nod: It would give us guaranteed competition year in and year out, and hopefully stop the insanity of going to a 9 game conference schedule.

Whatsupppppppp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ultimately, ACC becomes basketball conf, merging with Big East

4 major football confs, 16 teams each, 8 per division, with div playoffs and conf playoffs.

the remaining football schools become irrelevant FCS type schools.

Only basketball powers (that are still outside the four new football confs) remain in the black. ACC Big East becomes the basketball monster.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ultimately, ACC becomes basketball conf, merging with Big East

4 major football confs, 16 teams each, 8 per division, with div playoffs and conf playoffs.

the remaining football schools become irrelevant FCS type schools.

Only basketball powers (that are still outside the four new football confs) remain in the black. ACC Big East becomes the basketball monster.

Why would they merge? The Big East has already become a basketball conference.