• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Realignment Thread

Rocky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I would much rather share a stadium with B1G fans than SEC fans. Not trying to have SEC nuts rubbed on anyone's face in Sharky's after we beat them

Put me on the SEC wish list.

I could make day trips to LSU, Miss St, ole miss, and Bama from my home.

Besides, the SEC knows how to tailgate with the best of em.

They should play on Sunday in the SEC, because it really is like a religion.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is something I could definitely see the 4 super conferences doing down the road... It has certainly been an idea that has been tossed around. I personally like the idea of breaking away from the NCAA.

I disagree Matt. I think this has been mentioned somewhere here before lately, but if not, its worth mentioning again.
I like the 4 team superconference model because I think it would weed out some of the fluff, and get it down to the best (say 64) teams in the country. There are a few BCS schools that would get left out, but I don't think VT would be one of them. It would be closer to an NFL model. I don't think it would take away from the regular season, because there be a de facto 8 team playoff at the end of the season. However...
If these superconferences break away from the NCAA completely there would be no governing body on what these teams could do and the rules that they have (or at least supposed to) play by. These superconferences would turn into nothing more than a farm-league where kids did not have go to school, and most importantly, the teams/boosters could PAY these kids to come play for their team. The biggest money teams would get the best players (Texas, 'Bama, OSU, Michigan, ND, USC, etc.) and the teams didn't have quite as much money would get the scraps. I think VT would be somewhere in the middle of the pack on that one. Not saying some teams could not compete in that scenario, but it would be even harder than it is now. I don't want college football to turn into MLB (that's ONE of the reasons I am not a big MLB fan..plus they play way too many damn games).

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
yep -- and based on what I've read, it will not happen. The NCAA takes care of a lot of things (namely compliance) that these conferences want nothing to do with. It would ruin college football and I'm definitely not for it. CFB players have this fire, play for the love of the game, and for the opportunities that it provides (education) and may provide in the future. That's why CFB players play harder and with more passion than NFL players ... because every play and every game counts. The NFL flat out SUCKS in comparison to CFB .. and I have no interest in watching CFB become an amateur-NFL league.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I disagree Matt. I think this has been mentioned somewhere here before lately, but if not, its worth mentioning again.
I like the 4 team superconference model because I think it would weed out some of the fluff, and get it down to the best (say 64) teams in the country. There are a few BCS schools that would get left out, but I don't think VT would be one of them. It would be closer to an NFL model. I don't think it would take away from the regular season, because there be a de facto 8 team playoff at the end of the season. However...
If these superconferences break away from the NCAA completely there would be no governing body on what these teams could do and the rules that they have (or at least supposed to) play by. These superconferences would turn into nothing more than a farm-league where kids did not have go to school, and most importantly, the teams/boosters could PAY these kids to come play for their team. The biggest money teams would get the best players (Texas, 'Bama, OSU, Michigan, ND, USC, etc.) and the teams didn't have quite as much money would get the scraps. I think VT would be somewhere in the middle of the pack on that one. Not saying some teams could not compete in that scenario, but it would be even harder than it is now. I don't want college football to turn into MLB (that's ONE of the reasons I am not a big MLB fan..plus they play way too many damn games).

The problem is it won't be the best 64 teams in the country. It's be 64 teams playing in the 4 best conferences. Big difference. And it won't be close to the NFL playoff model. In fact, it won't be close to any playoff model. It'll be it's own model that compounds the problem it currently has. It will not be fair when say a Boise State who is definitely a top 64 team, is not included (hypothetically) in one of the 4 super conferences, but Kentucky or Indiana will be (no offense to those schools).

A playoff only works if everyone has equal opportunity to make it into the playoff. All pro teams provide that opportunity. If the playoff is only for those 4 conferences then it doesn't help the other teams. Even with the NCAA tournament, the teams outside of the 68 still have the opportunity to make it into the tournament. With super conferences, a playoff would only work for the 4 conferences.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are screwing it all up even worse with this playoff. It needs to be the top 8 teams in the BCS go to a 3 week playoff. Its not that difficult.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Every FBS team in the country should have the opportunity, no matter how remote, to play in the national championship game. Creating an environment that allows only the "best" teams from the four "best" conferences to play for the NC is just plain wrong.

Breaking away from the NCAA will cause the eventual destruction of amateur collegiate football. At what point will colleges just totally abandon the concept of student-athletes and just start paying kids to play ball with no requirement to attend classes or earn degrees? I am personally NOT interested in watching NFL farm teams play for colleges.

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didnt say it was my idea... But the idea has come up. Also, how someone said the NCAA handles things like compliance. Most of that work is done by the universities. And plus, they wouldnt need compliance anymore, bc they wouldn't have to comply to the NCAA rules.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is it won't be the best 64 teams in the country. It's be 64 teams playing in the 4 best conferences. Big difference.
I agree with this Bigesse. But life is not fair. There are 4 conferences that will survive..we all know who they are and there will be a little bit of room for expansion IN those conferences. Teams would be scrambling to stay in. These 4 conferences will consider the BEST schools to go after in regards to (in order) 1) How much more $$$ will they make us. 2) Football strength, history, strength of following 2b or 3) Academics.

And it won't be close to the NFL playoff model. In fact, it won't be close to any playoff model. It'll be it's own model that compounds the problem it currently has. It will not be fair when say a Boise State who is definitely a top 64 team, is not included (hypothetically) in one of the 4 super conferences, but Kentucky or Indiana will be (no offense to those schools).
Sure it would be very much like the NFL model..only with more teams overall and less playoff teams. 4 conferences, 2 divisions in each conference = 8 playoff teams. Hell, I would be all for top two in each division play giving the total 16.

A playoff only works if everyone has equal opportunity to make it into the playoff. All pro teams provide that opportunity. If the playoff is only for those 4 conferences then it doesn't help the other teams. Even with the NCAA tournament, the teams outside of the 68 still have the opportunity to make it into the tournament. With super conferences, a playoff would only work for the 4 conferences.
There are also 32 pro-teams and 120 FBS teams. The 16 team playoff has been talked about and is shot down repeatedly. I agree but it doesn't seem that this is realistically going to happen. Trust me man, I am all for keeping the NCAA football just the way it is, and having a 16 team tourney at the end of the year (just like FCS) and settling it all on the field. The only problem with that is that SOMEONE will always get left out and someone will be bitching about it. That is why to a degree I am much more in favor of having a "win your division you are in" kind of deal. If you don't win your division, you are out..PERIOD. (I don't give a damn if you are 10-1 Auburn and the only game that you lost against was #1 Alabama..if you don't like it.. piss on Bear Bryant's statue...I get so fucking tired of hearing Bilas and Vitale whining about who got in and who was left out at the end of March every year..as if VT or any other 65-70th team actually had a shot at winning it all...

Last edited by a moderator:

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didnt say it was my idea... But the idea has come up. Also, how someone said the NCAA handles things like compliance. Most of that work is done by the universities. And plus, they wouldnt need compliance anymore, bc they wouldn't have to comply to the NCAA rules.

Exactly..do you think that would be a good thing??

Texas = Texas Rangers
Alabama = New York Yankees
USC = LA Dodgers
Notre Dame = Boston Red Sox
Michigan = Chicago Cubs

Virginia Tech = Washington Nationals

Pitt = Pittsburgh Pirates, Pittsburgh hasn't had a winning season in like what..30 years??

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think an 8 and then 16 team playoff is going to happen eventually.

I think the ratings for the 4-team playoffs are going to turn heads and make the BCS/NCAA wise-up. Then they won't be able to help themselves. First double it... after all, what's just one more week? Have those games be at the higher seed's home field, get to sell one extra game at 4 spots, maybe even get individual sponsorships...

Then 16...

Much like the NCAA basketball tourney.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think that 8 is a good compromise but obviously that won't happen anytime soon. 16 is too many and cheapens the regular season. If need be, cut a non-conference game and cut out all of the cupcakes to account for the extra games.

first, make the polls only based off of tangibles (sos, rpi, conf rpi, number of wins) .. take the idea of a loss "hurting" you in sos out the window but reward teams that get quality wins in some way. this keeps the scheduling of GOOD OOC games in play.

ANY conference champ in the top 10 of the final polls is in (ranking so that some schmuck of a team that lucks into and wins the CCG doesn't just slide in). the remaining spots are taken by highest ranked non-conference champs...it's as simple as it gets

There are ways to get EVERY team the POSSIBILITY. Giving equal access per se will eventually even the playing field in some ways though, and some conferences just don't want that.

I like the idea of conference champs getting in, with that ranking caveat. A winner of a CCG shouldn't be automatically in the playoff though. no system is going to be perfect but giving the top 4 teams the spots regardless of conference affiliation already wreaks of conspiracy and corruption, especially with the BCS ranking system the way it currently is.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I like the 4 "super conference" 8 division model.

Like others have said: the conference championship game basically acts as the first round. The 4 winners go onto rnd2 while the other 60 teams carry on with bowls etc etc.

I think the 64 super conference teams should be their own division and the "left out" teams can form their own as well. they could come up with a system to pick a champion and prob even get contracts with some of the lower level bowls.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I've heard a model that has a 4 team playoff with the top 4 in the BCS (or whatever ranking) picked, which have to be (a) either a conference champion or (b) have their conference champion in the top 4 as well.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the 4 "super conference" 8 division model.

Like others have said: the conference championship game basically acts as the first round. The 4 winners go onto rnd2 while the other 60 teams carry on with bowls etc etc.

I think the 64 super conference teams should be their own division and the "left out" teams can form their own as well. they could come up with a system to pick a champion and prob even get contracts with some of the lower level bowls.

Exactly! This is what I am talking about. 8 teams out of a 64 team field..that would be a good enough shot for everyone..and would still preserve the regular season. I think if you go beyond that (with 64 teams) it would take away from the regular season. Now for what FBS has right now (120 teams) I think 16 is a good number.

Rocky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The NCAA has indeed acted with heavy handedness at times, soft gloves at other times, not at all many times, and seems to be in the pockets of certain schools and conferences all the time.

Any talks of breaking away from the NCAA has always been to replace the NCAA with something not as ridiculous when it comes to certain things, like recruiting, transferring, rules enforcement, punishment, etc. There are inconsistencies and unfairness all over the place. The NCAA represents all sports, and many rules and regs are due to fringe sports requirements, which sometimes apply to all sports.

A football only sports organization, with football only rules and regs, would be simple to write, simple to enforce, and simple to comply with.

I do believe that such an organization would ultimately be in the best interest of big time college football.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A football only sports organization, with football only rules and regs, would be simple to write, simple to enforce, and simple to comply with.

Simple? Ummm... no.

Rocky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simple? Ummm... no.

Yes, thats my opinion. All the hard stuff already exists, in the current NCAA rules and regs (of which I have a copy right here on my computer)

Ive read through much of the rules, and they are pretty damn good, except that they are written to support ALL sports, not just football.

Its more on the enforcement, organization, interpretation, policing, and running of the day to day affairs of the NCAA that is broken. Too big to be efficient, too big to be unaffected by ancillary sports, and too big to be policed and enforced with any fairness.

A smaller organization, with narrower responsibilities, and fewer non-football considerations, would indeed be a simple thing to put together.

Why do you think the opposite?

Rocco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The problem with the idea of 4 16-team super-conferences is finding 4 more teams for the Pac-12. They aren't taking just anyone and there aren't many options for them. That's a huge limiting factor. Plus the B1G isn't going to add just anyone. They waited for 2 decades with 11 teams before getting the team they wanted.

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are countless NCAA rules that are compete horse shit. For example... you aren't allowed to send out brochures about your school in color. Everything has to be in black and white. They see printing in color as unfair to some schools.