• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Realignment Thread

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I wonder if they do decide to split out bowl/bball tourney revenue if the ACC will give VT some dough retroactively. rhetorical question but damn, these numbers are lopsided:

Teel Time: Should ACC adjust bowl sharing to benefit teams such as VT, Clemson, FSU? - dailypress.com

I love that the ACC provides monetary stabilization for the league. There is a very strong case, IMO, for equal share to enable more competition. FSU and UNC are always going to make more than BC and Wake in all other ways, yet those two programs can compete for championships (atleast for short periods of time). Tech "left" money on the table with the ACC revenue sharing deal, but so many years down the road, Tech could benefit enough from others to turn around a tough stretch.

There is no doubt that FSU and others are worth more than the average ACC team. I could go for a slight change in revenue sharing to compensate them more for their value. However, when it comes to conferences, they are worth more than the some of their parts with stable cash flow. For that reason, the B12 and Big East models will never exceed the SEC and B1G.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This is all you need to know people. With every recent move (A&M and Missouri to SEC, WVU to Big 12, Syracuse and Pittsburgh to ACC) the ACC is looking worse and worse as a $$$football$$$ conference. No football school wants to join the ACC. Why would they want a downgrade? FSU and Clemson are already wanting out. The next move by any team in any conference is probably going to be the one that pushes them out. Then all heck breaks loose

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Without a better TV deal I want out of the ACC asap.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Food for thought....

Saturday Down South‏@SDS
The Southeastern Conference announced profits of $241.5 million, $20.1 million distributed per school.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Food for thought....

Saturday Down South‏@SDS
The Southeastern Conference announced profits of $241.5 million, $20.1 million distributed per school.

UK's AD is laughing and making it rain right now. 20 mil for a shit program that only cares about hoops.

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big ten commissioner Jim delany has changed his stance. came out and said that he thinks the best four team should be in the playoff, not conference champions. Likely big ten looks to expand now. ACC is toast. Look for schools like UVA, umd, BC to be on the market. I wouldn't say it's too far fetched to see unc and or duke look into/go as well. Say what u want about how unc and duke would never leave the ACC, but u can be sure that they won't let themselves end up on an island without a legitimate conference. So long shitty ACC

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big ten commissioner Jim delany has changed his stance. came out and said that he thinks the best four team should be in the playoff, not conference champions. Likely big ten looks to expand now. ACC is toast. Look for schools like UVA, umd, BC to be on the market. I wouldn't say it's too far fetched to see unc and or duke look into/go as well. Say what u want about how unc and duke would never leave the ACC, but u can be sure that they won't let themselves end up on an island without a legitimate conference. So long shitty ACC

Nothing is going to happen until the playoff picture has been officially painted. Then after that it will depend on what the Big 12 and FSU/Clemson does. If they jump, then and only then will the other conferences start making moves. I'd then look for the B1G to contact VT over the schools you listed. We will be a top choice for them and I think VT BoT would rather be in the B1G than the SEC. Just my $.02

m477hokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be much more interested in moving to the B1G than the SEC - I just think the academics are better and while I know people will mention monetary benefits, I think perception is just as important, and I perceive the B1G schools as having academic prowess over the SEC. The ACC obviously does as well.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be much more interested in moving to the B1G than the SEC - I just think the academics are better and while I know people will mention monetary benefits, I think perception is just as important, and I perceive the B1G schools as having academic prowess over the SEC. The ACC obviously does as well.

The B1G schools got $24.6 million each last year. Thats not too bad

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I would much rather share a stadium with B1G fans than SEC fans. Not trying to have SEC nuts rubbed on anyone's face in Sharky's after we beat them

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Just fanning the flames as I would rather join SEC than the (current) B1g: not many people are mentioning any money but TV money. I would think that VT would be eligible for a lot more grant/research $$$ in the Big10. I think i remember 46 or someone mentioning that in one of the other threads.

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The B1G is a much more sustainable and steady conference. The SEC as it is running right now is headed to an SMU/SWC like ending, IMO. That is why I prefer the B1G.

The government also invented thunderstorms to cover up the noise of space wars.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
The B1G is a much more sustainable and steady conference. The SEC as it is running right now is headed to an SMU/SWC like ending, IMO. That is why I prefer the B1G.

This echoes my thoughts as well. People often forget Tech (and most of the current ACC) was once in the same conference as the core of the SEC. The Southern Conference was too big and there were too many self interests in the way. Further proof of these difficulties was Tulane and Georgia Tech leaving the conference for independence in the 60s (Sewanee also de-emphasized athletics 1940).

The Big Ten has been together for over a century! Only one school (Chicago) has stopped playing in the Big Ten, although there is still an academic relationship with the conference. Since Chicago de-emphasized athletics in 1946, the Big Ten has only added Michigan State, Penn State, and Nebraska (three schools that are atleast somewhat similar to Tech's mission). It's easily the most stable collection of universities and athletic programs in FBS.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am a cynical bastard... so I would imagine, if the whole of the SEC was exposed for what is widely rumored to be an extensive conspiracy of NCAA violations and coverups... they would recruit a couple of more bigger (possibly likewise dirty or already sanctioned) programs and then form an "amateur" football conference/league of their own where they could pay players whatever they wanted.

I could see Ohio State, USC(w), UNC, maybe Texas, Miami and some others, considering this option. If the money was right... why not? Fuck the NCAA and their rules (especially if they're going to slowly and ineffectually enforce them - see UNC). There's enough of a dedicated following in the SEC to make this amateur league a real threat to the NCAA. There's apparently enough money in the South to attract the top talent in the country, imagine now if they could outright PAY kids to play football straight out of high school? And it was above-board and legit? They could get anyone they wanted. The players wouldn't even need to go to class! How many highly-recruited players would turn down money immediately out of high school???

... the "Fuck the NCAA" threat is real enough to me to explain why the NCAA has stayed away from the smoldering activities within the conference (see Cam Newton hand slap, Alabama extensive pictorial exploration of an inappropriate booster/player relationship, etc, etc).

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is something I could definitely see the 4 super conferences doing down the road... It has certainly been an idea that has been tossed around. I personally like the idea of breaking away from the NCAA.