• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Realignment Thread

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i see it being 4 conference champs as long as they are ranked in the top 6....now if a champ is not ranked in the top 6 then a "wc" team can get in.... that will be the compromise i see happening..(it also leaves a little sliver of a chance for ND to stay indy which they probably want even if it means not making the play-offs to often)

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The question is how this is determined? Who gets to weigh in at the big boy table? Does everyone get an equal vote? I guess it confuses me that not every conference gets to weigh in but what about d1 football has ever been perfectly fair (about the bcs) ??

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm thinking the system will include the teams ranked 1 through 4, regardless of whether or not those teams are conference winners. We caught a glimpse of that this past year with Alabama jumping over conference winner Oklahoma State. Do I personally think that's fair? No, I don't.

If you play well all season and win your conference, you deserve a shot at the 4-team playoff. But which conferences will be included? Will it be based on the rankings of each of the conference winners with the highest-ranked teams getting a berth? Or will it once again be based on which teams can bring the most money to the table?

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think it depends on "who gets a vote" ... I can't find anything concrete but I think that the ACC has a seat at the table. It's known that the SEC and Big12 are for the "top 4" but I'm pretty sure that the Pac, B1G, and ACC would want conference champions tied in somewhere. I think it'll be somewhere in between where the automatic qualifiers are conference champions ranked in the top X ... and then the rest are taken at-large based on ranking.

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I the only one that thinks nothing will happen? I guess I think it's too good to be true, but I dont think FSU and Clem are Big 12 bound and I dont think VT is SEC bound. I'll believe it when I see it.

Big Red Said

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The question is how this is determined? Who gets to weigh in at the big boy table? Does everyone get an equal vote? I guess it confuses me that not every conference gets to weigh in but what about d1 football has ever been perfectly fair (about the bcs) ??

It is being discussed in earnest... that there could be a committee created to elect said teams. Kind of like they do in round ball... No matter what direction this all goes, there will still be questions and or subjective input that will not please all.

Big Red Said

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I the only one that thinks nothing will happen? I guess I think it's too good to be true, but I dont think FSU and Clem are Big 12 bound and I dont think VT is SEC bound. I'll believe it when I see it.

Something will happen... just don't know how big this something will be, or timing... but the present status will not stand beyond 2014.

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talks between Clemson and fsu are going on, regardless of what they are saying publicly. The fans, donors, etc of both schools want this move very badly. And bc its mutually beneficial, it will eventually happen. The new big 12 commish takes over mid June. Votes on bcs system are June 20th. Will be last tumblers. I also have come across the info that VT has met with sec officials at the greenbrier in WV. Obviously I wasnt there to see these meetings, but I believe it. We will not go anywhere until another school leaves, but there is so much vitriol from Clemson and fsu supporters that I don't see any way that there aren't defections from ACC. Maybe some hail Mary will come in late in the game, but as of now, I don't see said hail Mary coming.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You are not alone. I have a feeling we have a new ACC deal brewing and this may have been a lot of posturing and leverage. I feel like nothing will happen this summer.

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that is In fact correct forty six, then this all could be for not. But why would the tv networks renegotiate with us?

iv_hokie12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that is In fact correct forty six, then this all could be for not. But why would the tv networks renegotiate with us?

FSU may be trying to get a better deal from the ACC, which would almost certainly benefit the football schools including us.

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What "better deal" are u referring to? The conference isn't going to agree on giving vt, Clemson, fsu a higher percentage of bowl revenue. I had read that the idea had already been voted down by ACC presidents.

Rocky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN stands the risk of looking really bad if FSU leaves the ACC.

Collusion is on the legal table, and lawyers aint cheap. Just fighting a charge is costly.

So, its really in alcon's best interest to fix the mess created by Swofford.

Its really tricky though, because the major parties will never admit to anything untoward.

The ACC board should shitcan Swofford, threaten legal action, thereby forcing all parties to a powwow, light up the peace pipe, and settle this mess.

ESPN saves face (and forestalls legal action), ACC keeps FSU, FSU gets some more bucks, we all stay put, at least until late next fall, when FSU disappoints the world once again, and loses to Tech in the ACC championship game, at which time FSU looks to one of the dumber conferences once again.

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fsu/clemson are gone......all this backtracking and big 12 people saying we are "happy at 10" is the same as every expansion...last year the sec was saying the same things,and the big the year before :D

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What "better deal" are u referring to? The conference isn't going to agree on giving vt, Clemson, fsu a higher percentage of bowl revenue. I had read that the idea had already been voted down by ACC presidents.

The football schools are flexing on the Tobacco Rd. cabal.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Talks between Clemson and fsu are going on, regardless of what they are saying publicly. The fans, donors, etc of both schools want this move very badly. And bc its mutually beneficial, it will eventually happen. The new big 12 commish takes over mid June. Votes on bcs system are June 20th. Will be last tumblers. I also have come across the info that VT has met with sec officials at the greenbrier in WV. Obviously I wasnt there to see these meetings, but I believe it. We will not go anywhere until another school leaves, but there is so much vitriol from Clemson and fsu supporters that I don't see any way that there aren't defections from ACC. Maybe some hail Mary will come in late in the game, but as of now, I don't see said hail Mary coming.
I saw that 5 sentence piece of crap blog post too but didn't bother to post a link. It's laughable and has no information other than, basically, "vt meeting with sec at the greenbrier". I'm not saying it will or won't happen but that blog post provided zilch to support either and seems to be pure bullshit

The notion that bowl and bball tourney revenue will not be equal...plausible .. Could have been a power move and it seems like fsu definitely showed its sack

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think regardless of a greenbrier meeting, the meetings have happened. I've just gotten an update with some high ups within texas am and they stated its more about when, then if at this point. A waiting game to make sure of a clean break and all ducks in a row. And obviously need Clemson and fsu to officially make the jump. June 18th, june 20th and the days thereafter are the dates to keep an eye on.

Last edited by a moderator:

jgHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are not alone. I have a feeling we have a new ACC deal brewing and this may have been a lot of posturing and leverage. I feel like nothing will happen this summer.

i don't like that coming from you 46...i had my hopes up...:(

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calls to and from VT but no "meetings" with any conference.