• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Project your team's lineup out of camp

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it depends on the player. Some will shine in a role like while others regress. Also, more ice time, regardless of the competition, is better for development at 19.

That's true, it is a case by case basis and I could see the argument for more ice time.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
I don't get this notion that putting someone on the 4th line stunts their growth. I personally think the 4th line is the perfect place for an inexperienced prospect. They will get the feel of NHL level competition without having the pressure of performing like a top 6 forward. I think being on the 4th line or 3rd defensive paring would be more beneficial to a young player's growth than putting them in the AHL where they will have the pressure to perform and won't even have the opportunity to get a feel of NHL level competition. Just my opinion tho, most NHL teams (including my Penguins) seem to disagree with my position.

Say you've got a player who has been playing a creative, offensive, leadership role for his entire career.
He gets to the NHL as a fresh rookie, and all of a sudden is playing 7 minutes a game with a plumber and a thug.
So if he gets the puck he has no one to pass to, and if his linemates get the puck they can't get it to him.
A successful shift starts in your own zone, and if you get the puck you dump it in when you hit center and hustle to the bench.

I am all for making a guy concentrating on the defensive part of the game when he gets to the next level of play, but it can't be at the cost of stifling his creativity and nose for the net.
- Ottawa's path with Spezza is an decent example of doing that the right way
- Edmonton's recent of example of Linus Omark is doing it the wrong way. they get a 2nd chance with him, looks like

I'd rather have a player dominate in Jr, adapt and dominate in AHL, and then it's a smaller step to the NHL 3rd or 2nd line.

Last edited by a moderator:

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Say you've got a player who has been playing a creative, offensive, leadership role for his entire career.
He gets to the NHL as a fresh rookie, and all of a sudden is playing 7 minutes a game with a plumber and a thug.
So if he gets the puck he has no one to pass to, and if his linemates get the puck they can't get it to him.
A successful shift starts in your own zone, and if you get the puck you dump it in when you hit center and hustle to the bench.

I am all for making a guy concentrating on the defensive part of the game when he gets to the next level of play, but it can't be at the cost of stifling his creativity and nose for the net.
- Ottawa's path with Spezza is an decent example of doing that the right way
- Edmonton's recent of example of Linus Omark is doing it the wrong way. they get a 2nd chance with him, looks like

I'd rather have a player dominate in Jr, adapt and dominate in AHL, and then it's a smaller step to the NHL 3rd or 2nd line.

That's true, I get the point about ice time. I guess as a Pens fan it's frustrating seeing all these prospects we keep hearing about have to play in the AHL while guys like Glass & Engelland are regular roster guys.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NY Islanders

Strome Tavares Moulson
Bouchard Nielsen Okposo
Bailey Nelson Grabner
Martin Cizikas Clutterbuck
Colin MacDonald is an extra forward,

Hamonic MacDonald
Visnovsky Strait
Hickey Donovan
Carkner

Defense will be interesting. The org. really likes Strait for some unknown reason. Reinhart, Calvin De Haan & Ryan Pulock will challenge for roster spots.

Nabokov
Poulin/Nilsson

The starting job is Nabby's. The backup spot is up for grabs.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NY Islanders

Strome Tavares Moulson
Bouchard Nielsen Okposo
Bailey Nelson Grabner
Martin Cizikas Clutterbuck
Colin MacDonald is an extra forward,

Hamonic MacDonald
Visnovsky Strait
Hickey Donovan
Carkner

Defense will be interesting. The org. really likes Strait for some unknown reason. Reinhart, Calvin De Haan & Ryan Pulock will challenge for roster spots.

Nabokov
Poulin/Nilsson

The starting job is Nabby's. The backup spot is up for grabs.

Yeah, lots of good young talent as well as a lot of speed on that team. Really like what the Isles achieved last season, hope they build from that momentum for next season. Not an Isles fan but I do want them to return to respectability. Sort of 50/50 on that blue line, but really talented team. Tavares is no doubt a stud, but I also like the job Jack Capuano did with that team. Really got the most out of them and I expect him to build on that for the years to come. Islander fans have a lot to look forward to no doubt.

JustAsking

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That's true, I get the point about ice time. I guess as a Pens fan it's frustrating seeing all these prospects we keep hearing about have to play in the AHL while guys like Glass & Engelland are regular roster guys.

I may be the only Penguin fan on here that values what Glass brings to the team... he's not paid to score goals... he's paid to be physical... he's the only Penguin to crack the top 30 in hits among forwards last year... losing Matt Cooke makes him even that much more valuable to the team. 2nd on the team is Adams... I like the line Glass-Vitale-Adams... it's the Pens sandpaper line, not their scoring line. The 3rd line is the line that concerns me... I don't know what they are, they don't score and are not overly physical. The 1st, 2nd, and 4th lines are good to me.

Regarding Engelland... I hope he doesn't start all the games... but he will be needed against some teams, plus he's the cheapest defenseman in the entire system... which is important this season.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sub Grabovski for Ribeiro. Make playoffs as low seed. Go out in 1st or 2nd round.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Sigggghhhh.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sub Grabovski for Ribeiro. Make playoffs as low seed. Go out in 1st or 2nd round.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Sigggghhhh.

The Caps, IMO at aleast, need someone to be a difference maker on D. Maybe Mike Green regains his form and provides that; when's his contract year?

Otherwise I kinda agree with your assessment. Grabovski in for Ribeiro should be an upgrade for you. Grabovski can go out there in a lot more situations that Ribs can.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Caps, IMO at aleast, need someone to be a difference maker on D. Maybe Mike Green regains his form and provides that; when's his contract year?

Otherwise I kinda agree with your assessment. Grabovski in for Ribeiro should be an upgrade for you. Grabovski can go out there in a lot more situations that Ribs can.

It's weird to say that considering that's been the hallmark of the Caps since they found that Langway guy. They've always had an absolute stud (or two) back there. Remember, there was a time when they felt Scott Stevens was expendable.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, lots of good young talent as well as a lot of speed on that team. Really like what the Isles achieved last season, hope they build from that momentum for next season. Not an Isles fan but I do want them to return to respectability. Sort of 50/50 on that blue line, but really talented team. Tavares is no doubt a stud, but I also like the job Jack Capuano did with that team. Really got the most out of them and I expect him to build on that for the years to come. Islander fans have a lot to look forward to no doubt.

Defense & goaltending are the question marks. They have plenty of young defenseman coming. It's just going to take a year or two. Nabby is the man once again this season. Next year I expect Snow to sign one of Miller, Hiller, Elliott or Halak as a free agent. I think Nilsson has more potential than Poulin at this point. They did draft two possible studs in goal. We'll just have to see if they pan out, which won't be for a few years.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defense & goaltending are the question marks. They have plenty of young defenseman coming. It's just going to take a year or two. Nabby is the man once again this season. Next year I expect Snow to sign one of Miller, Hiller, Elliott or Halak as a free agent. I think Nilsson has more potential than Poulin at this point. They did draft two possible studs in goal. We'll just have to see if they pan out, which won't be for a few years.

I don't think their goaltending is too bad. Everyone rags on Nabokov for giving up all those goals in the 1st round, but I think he actually played better against us than Craig Anderson, who is one of the top goalies in the league and who plays for a better defensive team than the Islanders. Also, think Kevin Poulin has a lot of potential. Maybe they give Poulin more starts, try to keep Nabby fresh for the playoffs, things will be better. Only thing about them that they need to improve on is the defense. I think that was their biggest weakness last season and they actually appear weaker in that regard on paper. Not saying they can't improve on D this upcoming season, just sayin' it looks like their soft spot going into next season.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Opening Night:

Dubinsky - Anisimov - Gaborik
Foligno - Johansen - Umberger (Who will be relegated to smaller role when Horton is ready)
Atkinson - Letestu - Calvert
Boll - Jenner - Comeau

Spares: Umberger (Eventually), Collins, Skille. I expect Rychel to get a look, but will spend the year in the A trying to get chemistry with Wennberg and Audy-Marchessault (next year's third line - three years from now; first line)

Johnson - Murray
Nikitin - Tyutin
Wisniewski - Erixon/Prout (depending on if they need speed or grit)

Spares: Golubef, Savard

Goal:
Bob
Tabasco

I feel very good about this coming year. That should not be an easy lineup to play against.

I couldn't account for some injuries, but I didn't do too bad:
FORWARDS
Locks (11): Artem Anisimov, Cam Atkinson, Matt Calvert, Blake Comeau, Brandon Dubinsky, Nick Foligno, Marian Gaborik, Boone Jenner, Ryan Johansen, Mark Letestu, R.J. Umberger.
Looking good (1): Jack Skille.
Bubble (2): Michael Chaput, Ryan Craig.
njured (4): Cody Bass, Jared Boll, Nathan Horton, Derek MacKenzie.

I don't get why MacKenzie is always in the mix. I think Comeau is better and was more impressed by Skille in the preseason. Maybe if Skille gets in and plays well then it's bye bye Derek.

The surprise is the idea of Jenner maybe getting first line time with Doobie and Gabby. He made a LOT of space for them when he played up there.

Jenner - Doobie - Gabby
Anisimov - Johansen - Umby/Foligno (Until Horton)
Calvert - The Test tube - Atkinson
Foligno / Umby - Comeau - Skille

DEFENSEMEN
Locks (6): Jack Johnson, Ryan Murray, Nikita Nikitin, Dalton Prout, Fedor Tyutin, James Wisniewski.
Looking good (1): Tim Erixon.
Bubble (3): Cody Goloubef, Ilari Melart, David Savard.

Cody G may just be an odd man out forever. Savard skates better and Melart hits harder. And that's a tough top six to crack as it is. Shame, kid's a good player. And Nikitin knows he's in danger. Supposedly he's playing with a hairline fracture in his foot.

GOALTENDERS
Locks (1): Sergei Bobrovsky.
Bubble (2): Mike McKenna, Jeremy Smith.
Injured (1): Curtis McElhinney.

I wasn't comfy with Tabasco at all. Now he's hurt and two serviceable replacements show up outta nowhere. I prefer Jeremy, just because that's my son's name and he would love a Jackets goalie with the same name. Either one is fine.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I couldn't account for some injuries, but I didn't do too bad:
FORWARDS
Locks (11): Artem Anisimov, Cam Atkinson, Matt Calvert, Blake Comeau, Brandon Dubinsky, Nick Foligno, Marian Gaborik, Boone Jenner, Ryan Johansen, Mark Letestu, R.J. Umberger.
Looking good (1): Jack Skille.
Bubble (2): Michael Chaput, Ryan Craig.
njured (4): Cody Bass, Jared Boll, Nathan Horton, Derek MacKenzie.

I don't get why MacKenzie is always in the mix. I think Comeau is better and was more impressed by Skille in the preseason. Maybe if Skille gets in and plays well then it's bye bye Derek.

The surprise is the idea of Jenner maybe getting first line time with Doobie and Gabby. He made a LOT of space for them when he played up there.

Jenner - Doobie - Gabby
Anisimov - Johansen - Umby/Foligno (Until Horton)
Calvert - The Test tube - Atkinson
Foligno / Umby - Comeau - Skille

DEFENSEMEN
Locks (6): Jack Johnson, Ryan Murray, Nikita Nikitin, Dalton Prout, Fedor Tyutin, James Wisniewski.
Looking good (1): Tim Erixon.
Bubble (3): Cody Goloubef, Ilari Melart, David Savard.

Cody G may just be an odd man out forever. Savard skates better and Melart hits harder. And that's a tough top six to crack as it is. Shame, kid's a good player. And Nikitin knows he's in danger. Supposedly he's playing with a hairline fracture in his foot.

GOALTENDERS
Locks (1): Sergei Bobrovsky.
Bubble (2): Mike McKenna, Jeremy Smith.
Injured (1): Curtis McElhinney.

I wasn't comfy with Tabasco at all. Now he's hurt and two serviceable replacements show up outta nowhere. I prefer Jeremy, just because that's my son's name and he would love a Jackets goalie with the same name. Either one is fine.

They have some good choices for backups with McKenna & McElhinney. I don't know too much about Jeremy Smith tho.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I may be the only Penguin fan on here that values what Glass brings to the team... he's not paid to score goals... he's paid to be physical... he's the only Penguin to crack the top 30 in hits among forwards last year... losing Matt Cooke makes him even that much more valuable to the team. 2nd on the team is Adams... I like the line Glass-Vitale-Adams... it's the Pens sandpaper line, not their scoring line. The 3rd line is the line that concerns me... I don't know what they are, they don't score and are not overly physical. The 1st, 2nd, and 4th lines are good to me.

Regarding Engelland... I hope he doesn't start all the games... but he will be needed against some teams, plus he's the cheapest defenseman in the entire system... which is important this season.

You make some good points about Glass, JA,... My problem with Tanner Glass is that he counts 1.1 million against the salary cap, and he's probably worth no more than 700k(amount that Adams makes). He just isn't worth that amount of money for what he provides this team.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have some good choices for backups with McKenna & McElhinney. I don't know too much about Jeremy Smith tho.

I don't either, but he's been solid. I don't think the Jackets problem is going to be on the backend this year. They just need a goalie as steady as the D. The real question mark is where is the scoring coming from? If Jenner makes it with Gabby and Dubie, then I am really worried about Umberger being able to keep up with Johansen and Anisimov.

As long as they work as hard as they did last year, whatever happens will be fine.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah offense might be the issue. They really remind me of the Rangers the way they're built.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jackets made their final moves today, couple curve balls.

Assigned to Springfield: Jack Skille, Cody Goloubef, Michael Chaput, Ryan Craig, Jeremy Smith, Mike McKenna, Will Weber and Ilari Melart.

Golubef, Skille, Smith, Craig and McKenna have to clear waivers. I expect someone will take a crack at Golubef.

Seems Tabasco and MacKenzie are healthy enough to play.

Erixon and Savard made it.

And it means Ryan Murray and BOOM Jenner are officially NHL'ers.