• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

preseason passing TDs = 0

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yes, I did see some color in our offense last night, the fade to Braylon, the flex pocket, etc. One thing that stuck out quite a bit to me was when the announcer said (and I think I heard this correctly) that Harbaugh expects his QB's (Smith) to change plays at the LOS. If Smith doesn't think the play called is the best one for the defense then check out of it. What???? Smith calling an audible instead of a timeout, what the hell is that - football?

When we get VD, Edwards, Crab, and Gore all on the field at the same time in the red zone it will be a different story.

Right now about the best we can hope for Go 49ers!!

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree 100%.

I begin each season the same way, with hope, but I am not allergic to reality either.

agree with both of you. not to be a downer but just can't ignore the change in structure and shortened off-season. while the team can get the base schemes down, its the details that'll get them (early on).

when will they start getting better is anyone's guess? main thing is they keep buying in and not 'point fingers' like fans.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
When we get VD, Edwards, Crab, and Gore all on the field at the same time in the red zone it will be a different story.

no doubt it'll help but it still starts with QB and next, O-line.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
agree with both of you. not to be a downer but just can't ignore the change in structure and shortened off-season. while the team can get the base schemes down, its the details that'll get them (early on).

when will they start getting better is anyone's guess? main thing is they keep buying in and not 'point fingers' like fans.

I hear you, deep... My guess is, we will see a lot of running plays early on as the Niners try to install their full offense. As long as they don't get too far behind on the score board, they will simplify the passing attack to minimize the big errors and use their defense to stop/slow down the opposing team. I am hoping that they can install the offense at a faster rate but it will be tough

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I did see some color in our offense last night, the fade to Braylon, the flex pocket, etc. One thing that stuck out quite a bit to me was when the announcer said (and I think I heard this correctly) that Harbaugh expects his QB's (Smith) to change plays at the LOS. If Smith doesn't think the play called is the best one for the defense then check out of it. What???? Smith calling an audible instead of a timeout, what the hell is that - football?

Maybe they'll even try out this new fad of using a hard count at the line of scrimmage in hopes of drawing out the blitzers, and from there calling out protection orders.

Babysteps.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I hear you, deep... My guess is, we will see a lot of running plays early on as the Niners try to install their full offense. As long as they don't get too far behind on the score board, they will simplify the passing attack to minimize the big errors and use their defense to stop/slow down the opposing team. I am hoping that they can install the offense at a faster rate but it will be tough

well said.

yep, its hard for fans to buy into this cause it'll look 'conservative' as hell. but if we hope to win, start by minimizing our own mistakes (turnovers and penalties).

Z-Comeback

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Maybe they'll even try out this new fad of using a hard count at the line of scrimmage in hopes of drawing out the blitzers, and from there calling out protection orders.

Babysteps.

I seem to recall Smith being successful at that last season? But with Singletary's QB Carousel it obviously wasn't consistent

edit
Now that I think about it, the hard count he used was pretty good at getting the line to jump offsides...don't recall if it actually helped discover blitzers

Last edited by a moderator:

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah, Smith was doing a good job of drawing the other team offsides, but then our friend Anthony Davis started jumping the gun and it wasn't used as much.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Babysteps.

As long as they are in a right direction, I'll take any steps I can get.

You know, honestly, until this whole thing about hard counts was brought up recently, I had never noticed the absence of them...:shocked:

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Yeah, that's true. I think the team is always genuinely very positive.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I seem to recall Smith being successful at that last season? But with Singletary's QB Carousel it obviously wasn't consistent

edit
Now that I think about it, the hard count he used was pretty good at getting the line to jump offsides...don't recall if it actually helped discover blitzers

I'll have to stop hiding behind the couch during the game :behindsofa: