• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Preseason 2023 Camp Thread

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has anyone heard the name Randy Gregory in camp so far? Is he hurt yet?

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did tweak something the other day, Payton said it wasn’t serious. I believe he does have an INT so far.
Thanks, I honestly had not heard his name mentioned. Hopefully Payton and Joseph can get some good production from him.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has anyone heard the name Randy Gregory in camp so far? Is he hurt yet?

I was at the practice where he had an interception/TD. The Broncos have been easing him back from injury. Payton has a schedule set up for injured players so he has been getting some days off. I think part of it is Broncos know what they have in Gregory and Clark so giving them time away isn't as big of a deal plus gives them a chance to see some of the younger guys get snaps with the top defense.

I do have my doubts that Gregory will stay healthy the entire season though as he has been limited in practice and still somehow suffered an injury.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mix of good and bad today at training camp...

The bad: Brandon Johnson and Mike McGlinchey had to be taken to the training room to get looked at. Both walked in so that is good news and Troy Renck reported he had heard Johnson should be fine.

The good: The offense once again had a pretty good day. Wilson hit Hinton on a 3rd and goal situation for a nice TD then followed that up with a 71-yard 2-minute drill that ended with a Sutton TD catch from 14-yards out.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PJ Locke is pushing Caden Sterns for the 3rd safety spot. Caden Sterns with a great day.

Marvin Mims has been getting better each day.

Bonitto, McLaughlin, Cooper all continue to get praise on a daily basis.

The WR room after Tim Patrick currently looks like this and it is far from over but

Jerry Jeudy
Courtland Sutton
Marquez Callaway
Marvin Mims (Should pass up Callaway at some point)
Brandon Johnson
Kendall Hinton
LilJordan Humphrey
Jalen Virgil
Michael Bandy
Montrell Washington
Taylor Grimes

TBD- KJ Hamler (See what happens to him after his heart thing is cleared up, either way he isn't healthy)

Appears Virgil and Washington are slipping. I think we saw it coming with Washington as he is really only there to do one thing and apparently it wasn't good enough last year.

Virgil sadly isn't have the same type of camp he had last year.

Brandon Johnson continues to take off where he left off prior to his injury last year. He also made some plays for us late in the season last year to gain some playing experience.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PJ Locke is pushing Caden Sterns for the 3rd safety spot. Caden Sterns with a great day.

Marvin Mims has been getting better each day.

Bonitto, McLaughlin, Cooper all continue to get praise on a daily basis.

The WR room after Tim Patrick currently looks like this and it is far from over but

Jerry Jeudy
Courtland Sutton
Marquez Callaway
Marvin Mims (Should pass up Callaway at some point)
Brandon Johnson
Kendall Hinton
LilJordan Humphrey
Jalen Virgil
Michael Bandy
Montrell Washington
Taylor Grimes

TBD- KJ Hamler (See what happens to him after his heart thing is cleared up, either way he isn't healthy)

Appears Virgil and Washington are slipping. I think we saw it coming with Washington as he is really only there to do one thing and apparently it wasn't good enough last year.

Virgil sadly isn't have the same type of camp he had last year.

Brandon Johnson continues to take off where he left off prior to his injury last year. He also made some plays for us late in the season last year to gain some playing experience.

Johnson was 1st guy up after Tim Patrick for that 3rd WR spot and hasn't really given it up. His injury today gave some other guys a chance with Mims, Calloway, Grimes, and Hinton getting more run with the 1's.

I've heard a lot of really good things about Grimes with I think even Payton giving him praise recently in an interview. Not sure it will be enough to make the roster, but should land him at worse on the PS.

Personally, I'm going to be very nervous if Washington is our punt returner again this year. He has some big play ability and even had a long TD catch today in practice, but I watched him in punt drills and he was not very sure handed. Told my wife to watch the difference between him and Mims when catching a punt. Almost every punt would bounce either off the hands and into the chest or off the chest then into his hands and I think Washington dropped 1 or 2 the day I was there. Mims that ball doesn't move once it hits his hands.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Johnson was 1st guy up after Tim Patrick for that 3rd WR spot and hasn't really given it up. His injury today gave some other guys a chance with Mims, Calloway, Grimes, and Hinton getting more run with the 1's.

I've heard a lot of really good things about Grimes with I think even Payton giving him praise recently in an interview. Not sure it will be enough to make the roster, but should land him at worse on the PS.

Personally, I'm going to be very nervous if Washington is our punt returner again this year. He has some big play ability and even had a long TD catch today in practice, but I watched him in punt drills and he was not very sure handed. Told my wife to watch the difference between him and Mims when catching a punt. Almost every punt would bounce either off the hands and into the chest or off the chest then into his hands and I think Washington dropped 1 or 2 the day I was there. Mims that ball doesn't move once it hits his hands.

Grimes is nearly a lock for the PS. Even with a lot of WR's on the roster but he is a Payton guy and he does like him. With the numbers at WR he basically has no chance to make the active roster barring him giving us no choice but he isn't at that point right now.

Callaway is a Payton guy and while not flashy he is dependable and knows what Payton is wanting on offense. Brandon Johnson could leap him down the line but until he gets more familiar with Payton and his expectations, Callaway is going to be a guy Payton relies on. Johnson really looks like he can play in this league. This is the second camp in a row under a second coaching staff where he has been impressive.

Jalen Virgil is the guy I am a little worried about. He needs to have a nice PS. He looked great last year. Gave the staff no choice but to keep him with his last two PS games. Right now my question becomes how many WR's do we keep on the PS (just like last year) and if he even sticks around to see it. I could see him easily signing with the Jets PS or being claimed by Hackett because he really liked him last year. I don't think Virgil will sign to our PS assuming he does end up getting released like it appears to be right now. Payton is probably a little more invested into Grimes then Virgil and Virgil probably is smart enough to know that when Hackett comes calling him (worst case to his PS) he probably follows him after the relationship they built last year with the love Hackett showed him.

I don't think Montrell Washington will end up making this roster. I do like him though. He just hasn't made enough plays as a PR to really warrant a roster spot. I still think he could be similar to Isaiah McKenzie once he clicks. He has a good camp earlier after the draft but really doesn't add a lot of value to an already deep WR core and while he could be a good return man he has shown enough to keep him just as a return man. I love his ability to make plays and what he can do with the ball in his hands but again he seems to have fallen out of favor under a new staff. He still has a chance though, still a lot of time left just going to be hard for him.

I wonder like Virgil is there would be any interest for him in joining Hackett once he is released here. These guys will have PS opportunities calling and probably feel more loved by the coach who brought them in. Will be interesting what guys we keep around after cuts.
Hinton seems like the one guy that no matter what coach comes in he does enough to keep around weather that is starting on the PS or active roster but he just seems to be well liked by any coach that comes in here. I don't think he is the type of guy that any coach is going to depend on but he is the guy that everyone would like to keep around and have in the back pocket.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grimes is nearly a lock for the PS. Even with a lot of WR's on the roster but he is a Payton guy and he does like him. With the numbers at WR he basically has no chance to make the active roster barring him giving us no choice but he isn't at that point right now.

Callaway is a Payton guy and while not flashy he is dependable and knows what Payton is wanting on offense. Brandon Johnson could leap him down the line but until he gets more familiar with Payton and his expectations, Callaway is going to be a guy Payton relies on. Johnson really looks like he can play in this league. This is the second camp in a row under a second coaching staff where he has been impressive.

Jalen Virgil is the guy I am a little worried about. He needs to have a nice PS. He looked great last year. Gave the staff no choice but to keep him with his last two PS games. Right now my question becomes how many WR's do we keep on the PS (just like last year) and if he even sticks around to see it. I could see him easily signing with the Jets PS or being claimed by Hackett because he really liked him last year. I don't think Virgil will sign to our PS assuming he does end up getting released like it appears to be right now. Payton is probably a little more invested into Grimes then Virgil and Virgil probably is smart enough to know that when Hackett comes calling him (worst case to his PS) he probably follows him after the relationship they built last year with the love Hackett showed him.

I don't think Montrell Washington will end up making this roster. I do like him though. He just hasn't made enough plays as a PR to really warrant a roster spot. I still think he could be similar to Isaiah McKenzie once he clicks. He has a good camp earlier after the draft but really doesn't add a lot of value to an already deep WR core and while he could be a good return man he has shown enough to keep him just as a return man. I love his ability to make plays and what he can do with the ball in his hands but again he seems to have fallen out of favor under a new staff. He still has a chance though, still a lot of time left just going to be hard for him.

I wonder like Virgil is there would be any interest for him in joining Hackett once he is released here. These guys will have PS opportunities calling and probably feel more loved by the coach who brought them in. Will be interesting what guys we keep around after cuts.
Hinton seems like the one guy that no matter what coach comes in he does enough to keep around weather that is starting on the PS or active roster but he just seems to be well liked by any coach that comes in here. I don't think he is the type of guy that any coach is going to depend on but he is the guy that everyone would like to keep around and have in the back pocket.
excellent

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Former Bronco news.

Marlon Mack out for the season (again)
Devine Ozigbo signs with the Lions
Shelby Harris signs with the Browns

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Few other things to add.

Still time left but it appears Christopher Allen isn't showing the impact we all had hoped for when we signed the talented injury prone OLB after the draft last year and stuck him on IR.

Haven't heard much out of JL Skinner. Art Green hasn't seemed to impress as much as some of us thought he might when we saw him sign undrafted.

Still lots of time left.

I find it somewhat odd that with Albert O he has been here 3 years and we sorta give him the shaft on the depth chart and list him behind the undrafted rookie FA but with Jaleel McLaughlin he has had the better camp of the RB's ahead of him but giving those guys a different kind of treatment when it comes to rolling out the unofficial depth chart. Again, depth chart now means nothing but it also means something at the same time. In McLaughlin's case it means nothing in Albert O's case it means something... I will leave it at that.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Few other things to add.

Still time left but it appears Christopher Allen isn't showing the impact we all had hoped for when we signed the talented injury prone OLB after the draft last year and stuck him on IR.

Haven't heard much out of JL Skinner. Art Green hasn't seemed to impress as much as some of us thought he might when we saw him sign undrafted.

Still lots of time left.

I find it somewhat odd that with Albert O he has been here 3 years and we sorta give him the shaft on the depth chart and list him behind the undrafted rookie FA but with Jaleel McLaughlin he has had the better camp of the RB's ahead of him but giving those guys a different kind of treatment when it comes to rolling out the unofficial depth chart. Again, depth chart now means nothing but it also means something at the same time. In McLaughlin's case it means nothing in Albert O's case it means something... I will leave it at that.

My guess is with McLaughlin there are a lot of things they like about his game, but are also trying to send a message that he has a lot more left to do if they feel comfortable cutting the other guys and keeping him. I watched him as a pass blocker at camp and it was not pretty. I know they won't use him that way a ton, but it is still a skill they need to trust if he does find his way onto the field. He also from what I understand has had some screw ups play call wise, but that is expected with any rookie.

Thinking of the TE position having Dulcich 2nd on the depth chart I would say is significant. I think he will be the most impactful TE by seasons end, but I have heard the coaches are trying to send him a message that his blocking has not been good enough as well. I know he has put in a lot of work in this area over the offseason, but sounds like he is still struggling to be consistent as a blocker.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, McLaughlin aint going to touch many pass blocking situations at his size that is for sure. Agree, as an undrafted rookie before the first PS game you don't really leap frog him on the depth chart before the PS game, it could send a little bit of a mixed message. I think Albert O is where he is because it is a little bit of a last ditch effort for some motivation for him to be motivated to work from behind I don't think motivation is an issue for Albert but sometimes players step up when situations change.

Thing that sucks for McLaughlin is he isn't a special teams guy and typically you want your 3rd RB to be able to play special teams much like Lance Ball, Devontae Booker, Mike Boone in years past. It is the exact reason why Royce Freeman couldn't stick around here. He was our #3 RB with no value on special teams. Tony Jones has special teams ability and the guy in front of him Tyler Badie does have some experience and pretty good college career as well as making a few plays late last year... You gotta have a guy like McLaughlin not feel comfortable if he sees his name #3 on the depth chart before the first PS game, whereas Albert O is the opposite you gotta make him angry and try and go get it.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, McLaughlin aint going to touch many pass blocking situations at his size that is for sure. Agree, as an undrafted rookie before the first PS game you don't really leap frog him on the depth chart before the PS game, it could send a little bit of a mixed message. I think Albert O is where he is because it is a little bit of a last ditch effort for some motivation for him to be motivated to work from behind I don't think motivation is an issue for Albert but sometimes players step up when situations change.

Thing that sucks for McLaughlin is he isn't a special teams guy and typically you want your 3rd RB to be able to play special teams much like Lance Ball, Devontae Booker, Mike Boone in years past. It is the exact reason why Royce Freeman couldn't stick around here. He was our #3 RB with no value on special teams. Tony Jones has special teams ability and the guy in front of him Tyler Badie does have some experience and pretty good college career as well as making a few plays late last year... You gotta have a guy like McLaughlin not feel comfortable if he sees his name #3 on the depth chart before the first PS game, whereas Albert O is the opposite you gotta make him angry and try and go get it.

I will say I really do like Tyler Badie. He was my pick before training camp kicked off as the #3 RB for this team. Came in and didn't look completely lost at the end of the season. Heck even had a TD catch on a swing pass to help the Broncos beat the Chargers.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say I really do like Tyler Badie. He was my pick before training camp kicked off as the #3 RB for this team. Came in and didn't look completely lost at the end of the season. Heck even had a TD catch on a swing pass to help the Broncos beat the Chargers.

Same. @Mingo knows I really liked the Badie signing late last year. Sneaky signing, IMO... Plucked him off the PS with some roster room when the Ravens couldn't find a place to make room for him. Really impressive college RB that blossmed his final season at Missouri after being in a crowded backfield most of his career with Damarea Crockett and Larry Rountree.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same. @Mingo knows I really liked the Badie signing late last year. Sneaky signing, IMO... Plucked him off the PS with some roster room when the Ravens couldn't find a place to make room for him. Really impressive college RB that blossmed his final season at Missouri after being in a crowded backfield most of his career with Damarea Crockett and Larry Rountree.

If Javonte is fully healthy again then honestly this could be one of the better backfields the Broncos have had in a long time. Hated that Gordon couldn't get his fumble issues under control as the pairing of him and Javonte could have been deadly but fumbles weigh heavily in RB value. I really do like Perine though for this system and add in an explosive option like Badie or McClaughlin then this will be a nice mix for teams to have to prepare for.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. Perine is the perfect #2 RB to have on your roster and a guy even with his experience doesn't have a lot of wear and tear. Let's hope we see the old Javonte back sooner rather then later. You know what they say about a bad knee injury like his. You really turn to old form the second year back from the injury. Agree on Gordon. I see a lot of folks acting like he is a terrible RB.. Gordon is a very good RB if you take away the fumbling issues but after last year, that just grew tiring and with our struggles you had to make that move. I wish him well on the Ravens.