• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Pre Season - Rams @ Broncos

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's as much the mental aspect of the game as the physical that Dulcich is beating him in.

That is the part when evaluating players is so hard to figure out. Every player coming into the NFL is physically gifted. Now obviously some more than others, but the ones that make it in this league are the mentally strong guys that know the little things to do right. Such as knowing the playbook, reading a defense to know which option routes to run, and working on the aspects of your game that are weak.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, you can tell Albert O is not real reliable, this is his 3rd coaching staff and at least 2/3 have not been impressed with him in camp while knowing the talent is there.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is the part when evaluating players is so hard to figure out. Every player coming into the NFL is physically gifted. Now obviously some more than others, but the ones that make it in this league are the mentally strong guys that know the little things to do right. Such as knowing the playbook, reading a defense to know which option routes to run, and working on the aspects of your game that are weak.

This is where you have to trust their college coaches and scouts to get this information relayed to you. I think a big part of why you see teams often going back to the same schools when drafting is because they build a bond with a coach in which they trust their honesty. I know agents who say Kirk Ferentz is very trustworthy and can filter these things out for scouts/agents when digging up more information. Kirk obviously isn't the only one but I think it is why you see Iowa players having success in the NFL. The guys like Darrell Johnson-Koulianos who was a great college player goes undrafted, why? Because Kirk is honest about him as a player/person so you don't have that guy going early like he probably should have then busting.

College coaches become crucial to NFL scouting. Some are probably just way more trusting then other.

I was once helping a CB with NFL draft stuff and connected him to a good agent... She was all set to take him in, then she called me and said the coaching staff said he was a big mamma's boy, not mentally tough, blah blah.. The guy played well enough to get drafted. Was a top 25 CB in the draft. Went undrafted and never even got into an NFL camp. This was the lock out year which really screwed NFL undrafted free agents but the staff in which he played under really spilled the truth and it killed him from any NFL shot. He did end up playing in the CFL for a few years. But it shows how much influence and input their college coach has on them. If you trust the person telling you the information. However, it is rare a coach would ever give this information out if it wasn't true to a player... Unless of course the player slept with his wife or something. ;) Which would be red flag anyway.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is where you have to trust their college coaches and scouts to get this information relayed to you. I think a big part of why you see teams often going back to the same schools when drafting is because they build a bond with a coach in which they trust their honesty. I know agents who say Kirk Ferentz is very trustworthy and can filter these things out for scouts/agents when digging up more information. Kirk obviously isn't the only one but I think it is why you see Iowa players having success in the NFL. The guys like Darrell Johnson-Koulianos who was a great college player goes undrafted, why? Because Kirk is honest about him as a player/person so you don't have that guy going early like he probably should have then busting.

College coaches become crucial to NFL scouting. Some are probably just way more trusting then other.

I was once helping a CB with NFL draft stuff and connected him to a good agent... She was all set to take him in, then she called me and said the coaching staff said he was a big mamma's boy, not mentally tough, blah blah.. The guy played well enough to get drafted. Was a top 25 CB in the draft. Went undrafted and never even got into an NFL camp. This was the lock out year which really screwed NFL undrafted free agents but the staff in which he played under really spilled the truth and it killed him from any NFL shot. He did end up playing in the CFL for a few years. But it shows how much influence and input their college coach has on them. If you trust the person telling you the information. However, it is rare a coach would ever give this information out if it wasn't true to a player... Unless of course the player slept with his wife or something. ;) Which would be red flag anyway.

I think we are seeing with so many cuts/trades of the 2020 draft class that some of the usual scouting was missed on players with off the field issues. It really is such a crucial part to the evaluation process.

I always wonder what the Memphis coaches said about Paxton Lynch that made so many teams want to trade up and get him. I know people always comment about how the Chiefs are geniuses for getting Mahomes but forget the year before they were in a bidding war with Denver to get Lynch.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too bad they didn’t win the bidding war. Dallas also loved him.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sometimes the best deals are the deals you don't make. Kind of like the Broncos might be very happy they didn't get a deal done for Sutton.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is his 3rd coaching staff and at least 2/3 have not been impressed with him in camp while knowing the talent is there.

I’ve just operated under the assumption that the biggest reason he was drafted here was because he was a familiar target for Drew Lock coming out of Missouri. Now that Lock is gone, the interest in developing him isn’t there.

Like he was drafted to help Lock improve, not because there was belief he’d ever be a top flight TE.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he has shown ability as a pass catcher. He just needs to do the work blocking. I think Payton is kind of 'sending a message' with the depth chart and playing time in preseason right now. Trautman isn't some kind of great TE. But he is what the coaching staff want out there and if you can't do the whole job then you aren't looked at as especially valuable. That's the message.
Last week showed one thing really well you damn well better bring you run Block or bye . I am sure all the players are kind of jacked up about our Running game this year.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wish someone saved Elway from himself.
watching the 9er team Lynch and Kyle has built right now and even with the failed 2 first round picks in 2017 and the Lance deal in 2021 that team is stacked.

icing on the cake is Kittle vs Butt

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another touchdown for McLaughlin, and another pick for Bassey. Hopefully these guys stay as consistent in the regular season.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tony Jones!!!!!

Unfortunately I don’t see him making the team. But definitely going on the practice squad if no one steals him.