• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Pre Season - Rams @ Broncos

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Payton said he would play a few starters for Game 3 but not many.

Jeudy is getting an MRI on his hamstring. Say some prayers. This is getting old and we haven't even started the season yet.

Jeudy expected to miss several weeks with a moderate hamstring injury. Will arguably miss the first game or two. Marvin Mims, you're up.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeudy expected to miss several weeks with a moderate hamstring injury. Will arguably miss the first game or two. Marvin Mims, you're up.
I don’t know if Mims is ready to be the number 2 guy currently. Without unimpressive Hinton has been this year he might be just by default.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The tricky thing is going to be the fact that we have to keep Jeudy on the active roster and still make WR cuts which are already hard... A PS WR is surely going to be elevated off the PS for week 1 I would assume.

Brandon Johnson and Marvin Mims will need to step up assuming Johnson is healthy. Hinton and Washington have been with our team but it is also a new offense but Hinton's experience especially may make him valuable for week 1. This impacts our entire team now because do you cut a WR and hope he makes it back to the PS so you can elevate him week 1 or so you cut another position with the Jeudy injury and not tinker with the practice squad part of the equation. I trust Payton and company will be a little crafty with the injury.

Oh yeah and we also have Marquez Callaway a 4th year WR who knows Payton's offense and should be good to contribute with Jeudy out. I just pray the injury isn't longer then a few weeks into the regular season.

Jeudy-Injured- 1
Sutton- 2
Mims- 3
Johnson- 4
Callaway- 5
Hinton (do we have to release him then elevate? Or do we keep him on active roster until Jeudy is back?)
Washington (With Mims needing to play a larger role to start the season at WR we may take Mims off focusing off PR for awhile as a rookie who needs all time and energy he can to step up at WR, what do we do here?)
Humphrey (He has been with Payton)

Bah bah bah.. We have options but how we handle the roster overall now with the Jeudy injury brings a new twist.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think we would want Hinton on the outside with his experience with it being early in the year. We will see though.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Parker Gabriel of the DPO:
They are 17 days out from their season opener against Las Vegas. If Denver thinks Jeudy can get back somewhere within the first two or maybe even three weeks, it could carry him on the 53-man roster and hope the recovery goes quickly.

If not, however, they could put him on injured reserve after Aug. 30 when roster is set at 53, free up a roster spot and then designate him to return as early as Week 5 against the New York Jets. NFL teams can designate up to eight players to return from injured reserve over the course of the regular season, but only if they are placed on the list after the initial roster cutdown on Aug. 29.

The risk of not placing Jeudy on injured reserve to start the year is that his rehab takes longer than hoped, he misses four games anyway and takes up a roster spot while doing so. The risk of returning him to play too early, of course, is an aggravation to the muscle that costs him a bigger chunk of the season.

The temptation is to just carry Jeudy even if he might push toward the four-week mark because of his talent and play-making ability. Already without Patrick, Hamler and second-year man Jalen Virgil (ACL tear), the Broncos might figure that roster spot is worth occupying if it means getting him back even a week early.

Depending on how Payton and general manager George Paton view their depth at other positions, the Broncos could opt to carry an extra receiver at the start of the regular season — seven instead of six or six instead of five — if they want to avoid an IR placement for Jeudy.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am hopeful we don't put him on short term IR.
If it is a definite going to miss 4 weeks of the season then I get it.
If you aren't sure then I would keep him active... You also save a short term IR designation by doing that. But if you no it is going to be longer then you might as well. I don't see us carrying 7 WR's to start the season with the PS rules and I don't think any of our WR's cut get claimed off waivers that early in the season so we can just elevate one if we need to.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am hopeful we don't put him on short term IR.
If it is a definite going to miss 4 weeks of the season then I get it.
If you aren't sure then I would keep him active... You also save a short term IR designation by doing that. But if you no it is going to be longer then you might as well. I don't see us carrying 7 WR's to start the season with the PS rules and I don't think any of our WR's cut get claimed off waivers that early in the season so we can just elevate one if we need to.
I’ve seen some stuff saying he might be back by week 2 in which case we’ll be ok but it still sucks to miss him for opening day.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the NFL averages about 176 hamstring injuries a year. The average return time for those players is 13 days. Given this isn't factoring in severity of the injury just all hamstring injuries in general.

I will say this about Jeudy and I hesitate to say this since I don't know him personally. He seems like a player that exaggerates a bit when he does get hurt. Some players it seems like every time they get nicked up it looks like it will be season ending only for it to be somewhat minor and they are back sooner than most think. I could be completely wrong on that.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the NFL averages about 176 hamstring injuries a year. The average return time for those players is 13 days. Given this isn't factoring in severity of the injury just all hamstring injuries in general.

I will say this about Jeudy and I hesitate to say this since I don't know him personally. He seems like a player that exaggerates a bit when he does get hurt. Some players it seems like every time they get nicked up it looks like it will be season ending only for it to be somewhat minor and they are back sooner than most think. I could be completely wrong on that.

I think he has low pain tolerance.

I mean to be fair to him he has had some painful injuries. Remember the one week 1 injury vs the Giants he was carted off and it was a legit injury he missed a good month, then last year.. However, I always felt the same thing it seems like when he gets hurt it looks REALLY bad judging off his reaction.

Now as far as getting a cart for a hamstring injury in camp that is very natural to bring a cart out for anything at practice. I mean they bring the cart out for heat cramps in camp.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he has low pain tolerance.

I mean to be fair to him he has had some painful injuries. Remember the one week 1 injury vs the Giants he was carted off and it was a legit injury he missed a good month, then last year.. However, I always felt the same thing it seems like when he gets hurt it looks REALLY bad judging off his reaction.

Now as far as getting a cart for a hamstring injury in camp that is very natural to bring a cart out for anything at practice. I mean they bring the cart out for heat cramps in camp.
Oh agreed. When I heard about the injury though my first response wasn't panic like "Oh crap we've lost 2 key receivers for the year!" My actual first thought was "I bet he is back within a few weeks."

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh agreed. When I heard about the injury though my first response wasn't panic like "Oh crap we've lost 2 key receivers for the year!" My actual first thought was "I bet he is back within a few weeks."

Yeah. I mean the good thing is it is a hamstring so unless it is torn it isn't "real serious". I think if it was a knee/ankle or anything lower body there would be a need for panic. My first reaction was "several weeks" when you hear hamstring, but you can't help but be a little worried at the possibility of it being torn. (especially with the way injuries have gone for us the past several years)Hamstrings still suck and they can linger and in some cases like Hamler they can be very frequent and always a batter for certain players but unless torn it is an injury you are going to usually be back from sooner rather then later.

I thought the same thing with Jeudy though. Seems like every time he is injured it looks a little worse then it is. This one I thing was pretty normal with the cart and all but previous injuries judging by his reaction I always get the feeling it is a serious injury. Which he did miss multiple weeks with the ankle and bounced right back after the shoulder.

Ankle vs the Giants, shoulder vs the Texans...

I've only ever tweaked a hamstring when playing football and it was painful but healed quickly. I imagine a moderate hamstring pull is painful enough.

listopencil

I've Seen Better Days
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well..now I really want to watch this next preseason game, to see what they do without Jeudy in there. I've seen Dulcich out there and Wilson isn't really feeding the ball to him. I'd like to see that change against the Rams. If Jeudy is only going to miss the first couple of games (I hope) then they can get by if the TE's pick up some targets. Also, I had a heard that Albert O had some good practices. Get him out there. Use him and Dulcich to pick up the slack.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listo,

I was reading the same thing on Albert O... Guy seems a little motivated these last few days with his @ss on the chopping block. Our final 6 cuts are so are going to be really hard. Seemed like up until last year our cuts were too easy. lol

Hoping we can make a trade or two and get a late round pick or two for someone just to not lose them off waivers. Like Malik Reed last year. We will see.

I am really antsy about the cuts.

listopencil

I've Seen Better Days
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he has shown ability as a pass catcher. He just needs to do the work blocking. I think Payton is kind of 'sending a message' with the depth chart and playing time in preseason right now. Trautman isn't some kind of great TE. But he is what the coaching staff want out there and if you can't do the whole job then you aren't looked at as especially valuable. That's the message.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. I mean the good thing is it is a hamstring so unless it is torn it isn't "real serious". I think if it was a knee/ankle or anything lower body there would be a need for panic. My first reaction was "several weeks" when you hear hamstring, but you can't help but be a little worried at the possibility of it being torn. (especially with the way injuries have gone for us the past several years)Hamstrings still suck and they can linger and in some cases like Hamler they can be very frequent and always a batter for certain players but unless torn it is an injury you are going to usually be back from sooner rather then later.

I thought the same thing with Jeudy though. Seems like every time he is injured it looks a little worse then it is. This one I thing was pretty normal with the cart and all but previous injuries judging by his reaction I always get the feeling it is a serious injury. Which he did miss multiple weeks with the ankle and bounced right back after the shoulder.

Ankle vs the Giants, shoulder vs the Texans...

I've only ever tweaked a hamstring when playing football and it was painful but healed quickly. I imagine a moderate hamstring pull is painful enough.

Yeah I worry more about the recurring issue of hamstring injuries than the length to heal from it. I've had a pretty bad hamstring pull and my biggest issue was that about a week or so later it started feeling really close to being good to go. Went for a long run and ended up reinjuring it. Took me about 6-months with all the ups and downs of not letting it heal all the way to finally feel normal again. So I would expect with Jeudy this will be an ongoing issue where they will just have to manage it. A 90% Jeudy is still better than most guys out there so hopefully he can tough through it some.

I'm a little less worried about the Jeudy injury in big part because of 3 things...1) Sean Payton. His scheme doesn't always need the top tier talent to make it work. He has an ability to get guys open just by the scheme alone. Heck he bragged about how in one game he had 4 undrafted players score a TD. 2) This team is going to lean into the run game anyway. Every move this offseason has been about enhancing the run game. 3) The Broncos can get away with things for a few weeks without Jeudy just using different formations. You already talked about it with Albert O showing some ability. You have Dulcich that has done well receiving wise in training camp. So Broncos can go some bigger formations and rely less on the WR position to make it work. Heck they ran a ton of FB and 21 personnel this last preseason game with a lot of success. So like I said they could use a lot more formation set ups to help negate the loss of Jeudy for a while.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he has shown ability as a pass catcher. He just needs to do the work blocking. I think Payton is kind of 'sending a message' with the depth chart and playing time in preseason right now. Trautman isn't some kind of great TE. But he is what the coaching staff want out there and if you can't do the whole job then you aren't looked at as especially valuable. That's the message.

Yeah, and as I have always said I think the issue that doesn't make Albert O "special" as a pass catcher is he doesn't get good separation. He can catch and he can hurdle, he has good athletic ability but when you aren't a good blocker and you don't separate there are a lot of TE's like you out there and teams are always looking to upgrade from those types. Dulcich gets separation and can be used split out and in multiple ways. Albert O doesn't have that same versatility. Needs to get better at 1 of those 2 things to separate himself from the other average TE's in the NFL.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, and as I have always said I think the issue that doesn't make Albert O "special" as a pass catcher is he doesn't get good separation. He can catch and he can hurdle, he has good athletic ability but when you aren't a good blocker and you don't separate there are a lot of TE's like you out there and teams are always looking to upgrade from those types. Dulcich gets separation and can be used split out and in multiple ways. Albert O doesn't have that same versatility. Needs to get better at 1 of those 2 things to separate himself from the other average TE's in the NFL.

I've also heard there are some issues of trusting Albert O to be in the right spot. Part of why coaches have kept him off the field is he doesn't read the defense well and/or doesn't always understand the play call either leading to bad plays because he isn't doing his job right.

listopencil

I've Seen Better Days
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Right, that's exactly it.

listopencil

I've Seen Better Days
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've also heard there are some issues of trusting Albert O to be in the right spot. Part of why coaches have kept him off the field is he doesn't read the defense well and/or doesn't always understand the play call either leading to bad plays because he isn't doing his job right.

It's as much the mental aspect of the game as the physical that Dulcich is beating him in.