• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Phillies winning again

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You all know the Phils are going to beat us, right?

Our pitching won't look this good vs their offense. Them with homefield. Braves not a big hitting club, then also out Prado and Jones, and Conrad giving us games.

But I will be extremely happy with this year if we beat the Braves. Heck I'm already happy.

We are probably 20-1 against to beat the Phillies.

Not pantshatting. Reality.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shut up Nolan. ;)

While I don't think it's likely at all. I know the Giants CAN beat the Phillies, but I have the Phillies down as heavy, heavy favorites. Probably at 67% chance they beat the Giants. The Giants seem to like those odds though if this season is any indication :D

You can't take series as absolutes. Each team plays each other differently. Each series is a unique beast.

Last edited by a moderator:

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shut up Nolan. ;)

While I don't think it's likely at all. I know the Giants CAN beat the Phillies, but I have the Phillies down as heavy, heavy favorites. Probably at 67% chance they beat the Giants. The Giants seem to like those odds though if this season is any indication :D

Just 2-1 Phillies? I'd like to think this is a reality based board. My 20-1 was Nolanish.

I'd say for real, 5-1.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just 2-1 Phillies? I'd like to think this is a reality based board. My 20-1 was Nolanish.

I'd say for real, 5-1.

I'd say 75% would probably be the highest in my humble opinion. I know the postseason is a much different animal but look at the Giants record against the Phillies the last 3 years. Then consider how much better the Giants lineup is now. I stand by my "unrealistic" post.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say 75% would probably be the highest in my humble opinion. I know the postseason is a much different animal but look at the Giants record against the Phillies the last 3 years. Then consider how much better the Giants lineup is now. I stand by my "unrealistic" post.

Oh man...I haven't checked but did the Phillies have Halladay and Oswalt for that whole 3 years?

Giants 'much better lineup' can't score for shit vs the Braves. And you can be damn sure the Phillies won't have as much trouble scoring on us. Also, they won't trade for Conrad.

nateistheshi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If the Reds come back this game and make a series out of this then the Phillies will either throw out a Blanton-like scrub hoping to win anyway (unlikely) or they will go with Halladay on short rest. If this happens then it pushes back when Halladay starts in the NLCS and it'll add some more innings onto his arm if they throw him on short rest again in the NLCS.

His aura of invincibility will fade if he gets overused by Charlie Manuel. That's our opening. We need to Reds to step up this game for us and we need to win tomorrow. If this happens then I'd put the Phillies at about 60% favorites, if not then 70% seems more accurate. Keep in mind their pen is average at best, and while our offense is average at best, if our pitching holds up then are definitely able to hold our own. I won't be delusional though, the Phillies are favorites against anybody this year.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh man...I haven't checked but did the Phillies have Halladay and Oswalt for that whole 3 years?

Giants 'much better lineup' can't score for shit vs the Braves. And you can be damn sure the Phillies won't have as much trouble scoring on us. Also, they won't trade for Conrad.

No, but they had Cliff Lee last year and Oswalt and Hamels have had their struggles (and good games pitched against) with the Giants as well. All I'm saying is, matchups play differently when teams faceoff. But hey man, it seems like you really want to be "right", so have at it. You win, the Giants only have a 16.6% chance instead of a 25% - 33% chance to be win (like I was saying). Afterall, we ought to maintain the realism on this board since we all knew how realistic a Giants playoff birth would be before the season started.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, but they had Cliff Lee last year and Oswalt and Hamels have had their struggles (and good games pitched against) with the Giants as well. All I'm saying is, matchups play differently when teams faceoff. But hey man, it seems like you really want to be "right", so have at it. You win, the Giants only have a 16.6% chance instead of a 25% - 33% chance to be win. Afterall, we ought to maintain the realism on this board since we all knew how realistic a Giants playoff birth would be before the season started.

Buddy, don't get all butt hurt....I have no idea if I'm 'right'. Phillies have the whole package (except the bullpen....but then again, our awesome pen has been, um, not awesome). I will be thrilled to be wrong, but the reality is there.

I agree each series is its own thing, and what the teams look like now could change, sure. Just telling it how I feel.

Nate's post above makes sense, we wanted the Reds to stretch the Phils and create the opening he describes. But they look like they won't.

I hadn't even mentioned...look how the Phils are handling the highest scoring offense in the NL...now predict how they will handle our offense which....isn't.

I said Phils-Yankees a month ago and it stands.

5-1 against (which is 20% not 16.6%).

nateistheshi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Buddy, don't get all butt hurt....I have no idea if I'm 'right'. Phillies have the whole package (except the bullpen....but then again, our awesome pen has been, um, not awesome). I will be thrilled to be wrong, but the reality is there.

I agree each series is its own thing, and what the teams look like now could change, sure. Just telling it how I feel.

Nate's post above makes sense, we wanted the Reds to stretch the Phils and create the opening he describes. But they look like they won't.

I hadn't even mentioned...look how the Phils are handling the highest scoring offense in the NL...now predict how they will handle our offense which....isn't.

The Giants fan in me wants to see this happen, hell the Giants fan (much more dominant part) in me wants to see that series go 5 and our to go 4. The baseball fan in me wants the Phils to sweep tonight and us to win tomorrow so we can see a Lincecum vs. Halladay matchup, following historical performances by each of them nonetheless.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LOL, I'm getting butt hurt??? Look at my initial post. I was joking with you about being Nolan (I really was TOTALLY KIDDING). The rest of my post was just an opinion in which I actually agreed with you that the Phillies were heavy favorites. Now go and look at your response to my post saying that my opinion wasn't reality based.

I'd agree and I've been telling everybody at my work that it doesn't matter what happens, the Phillies are coming out of the NL. That was before the Giants or Padres had decided who was going to the big dance.

If the Giants get past the Braves, I'll be ecstatic. After that, anything else is a bonus. By the way, it's all good man, it takes a lot to make me angry.....unless you're SD_Envy. :D

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My .02?

Any team is "beatable". Especially in the post season of any sport.

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far, every Red's player seems to be swinging for the fence and connecting to nothing.

Sweet!!

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, I'm getting butt hurt??? Look at my initial post. I was joking with you about being Nolan (I really was TOTALLY KIDDING). The rest of my post was just an opinion in which I actually agreed with you that the Phillies were heavy favorites. Now go and look at your response to my post saying that my opinion wasn't reality based.

I'd agree and I've been telling everybody at my work that it doesn't matter what happens, the Phillies are coming out of the NL. That was before the Giants or Padres had decided who was going to the big dance.

If the Giants get past the Braves, I'll be ecstatic. After that, anything else is a bonus. By the way, it's all good man, it takes a lot to make me angry.....unless you're SD_Envy. :D

OK back atcha, thought you were a little HF-ish with the 'so fine be right' rhetoric. I know you were joking about me being Nolan.

But here's the best part....I AM NOLAN!!!! BWAHAHAHAH!!!

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK back atcha, thought you were a little HF-ish with the 'so fine be right' rhetoric. I know you were joking about me being Nolan.

But here's the best part....I AM NOLAN!!!! BWAHAHAHAH!!!

lol, I'd actually prefer it if you were Nolan, then at least I'd know he was just an act. Now if you were SD_Envy, we'd have to have an online battle ;)

I can be an HF from time to time though. Depends on what mood I'm in, lol.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks and go eat a dick okay? :)

What's an "HF"??

lol, feck off.

It's an old saying from the ESPN Giants board. It stands for "humorless fuck" to those that don't pick up on sarcasm :D

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
haha Thanks Filo!

Game time tomorrow for your boys is at what time now...8 est?

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
haha Thanks Filo!

Game time tomorrow for your boys is at what time now...8 est?

All good man, I think the game tomorrow is at 7pm eastern tomorrow. It was going to be later if the Phils lost tonight.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
need to get one more W and can talk about phillies

But I would give the Giants a punchers chance with the Phils.

Right fist = Lincecum Left fist = Sanchez

Bullpen showing leaks (I know its really just Romo and a little Wilson) diminishes their chances by alot.