• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

People that root for a team they have no affiliation with

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where do I fit in your frustration level: I didn't attend the University of Wisconsin but I did attend a UW system school. And was born and raised in the great state of Wisconsin.

as long as you aren't GreatDayne nobody will be mad at you

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I.E. - You didn't attend that school. You weren't born and raised in their vicinity. Your children do not attend that school.

You people....that's right YOU PEOPLE...you irk me to no end.

This applies to pro sports as well.

I looked up imbecilic in the urban dictionary and it gave me a link to this post.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing is on the East Coast, there's no programs to root for. For basketball and football. There's probably more Duke fans here than any other school, and it's probably by a large margin. I think there's some St. John's folks, but that's about it.

Pro sports are dominant here.

Where are the Duke fans? Other than redseat I haven't seen them.:noidea:

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being knowledgeable about a team and watching games are FAR more of a function of the degree of fandom than geographic proximity or school enrollment are.\

In fact the worst fair-weather fans are usually people that live in the team's city or who went to the school.

This is so true and I really could not give a shit why someone is a fan of a team as long as they are loyal and know what the hell they are talking about with that team.

I mean if you were a lakers fan during the 3peat and now are mysteriously a heat fan then we got some gripes.

I mean I didn't go to Marquette(or even try for that matter but they have always been my favorite college basketball team and at the end of the day I know literally everthing you could possibly know about the program....including the fact we couldn't even make the NIT this year :doh:

long story short, as I said. Who cares how/why someone is a fan as long as they are consistent. Shit even though its kinda annoying you can be a fan of one of the top teams in every sport, that just better not change during a bad year.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a Marquette fan too and that's good enough for me Mr.Hockey, the difference is I am owning it under my avatar.:nod: Crystal ball is looking good for Diamond Stone. Go MU.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These treads are usually filled with two sides of an argument which are equally stupid. Position A says "Only alums or locals can be fans." Position B says "Being an alum or local doesn't make you a better fan."

Both positions are wrong. Being a student of a university definitely enhances fandom. They are representing your school. You go to class with the players. You share the same traditions. You walk by the arena and you feel the energy of your campus as your team wins. The same is true (to a lesser extent) for locals. Alums are always tied to the school and will always see the jersey as representing them.

That said, you can be a great fan even if you have none of these connections. If you genuinely feel pain at losses and unadulterated joy at wins, you are a good fan. A degree or local connection may enhance this experience, but its not the only path.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a Marquette fan too and that's good enough for me Mr.Hockey, the difference is I am owning it under my avatar.:nod: Crystal ball is looking good for Diamond Stone. Go MU.

lol I had them there for a while but since you can only pick 3 teams I make changes. I do it based on whose in season and which 3 are most relevant(so I guess I bandwagon that way!!!)

This gopher avatar is completely hockey related btw. Don't worry there will never come a time they are not my favorite college bball team(and second favorite sports team overall)

As for Stone man I am hoping it works. Were always so close on the big blue blood recruits but just happen to miss(see Charles Matthews). Turning our yearly solid 4 star recruiting classes into 4 stars sprinkled with program changing 5 stars is what will get us back to being a true force.

Not that we havn't had a great deal of success aside from this year as it is.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably different for everybody, in some way. Growing up in Texas when I did, in NFL, it was Cowboys. Go to church, come home and Cowboys and Tom Landry are on. Later, Houston Oilers had a little run, but Cowboys still ruled. Houston area people now have the Texans.

Try being a Cowboys fan in the last 18 years, kinda rough.

As for NBA, we really had no one when I was growing up. Eventually, we got the Spurs and the Iceman. Later, the Rockets were big. Now you got the Mavs too.

In my family, the Longhorns were the big deal. Those were my sports heros as a kid. That's where I went, and who I follow.

Got no grudges with anybody else, doing whatever they want. People grow up in different areas, and the world is certainly different today. Just pick a team, and stand behind em, is all I'd say.

Jim Rome is Flaming

Check that, Chris Everett
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not where I live, just off Lake Michigan, great neighborhood, moved here on purpose when I could have moved anywhere in the country, and I've travelled a lot over the years. Summerfest straight-up sucks unless you're a 21 year old lunkhead or aging boomer. You clearly don't know what you're talking about, and I'll bet that "Milwaukee WI" under your name actually means you're a high schooler in Waukesha or some other lame 'burb, if you even live in the Milwaukee area at all.

Summerfest is the best entertainment there is in Milwaukee, hands down. You're an idiot if you think only young drunks and "aging boomers" like it.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a KC Chiefs fan. Have been for years. I have never seen them play live. I don't own any Chiefs gear. I watch them every week. Haven't lived in KC since I was like 3 years old. I am a Chiefs fan because, well, fuck you OP.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where are the Duke fans? Other than redseat I haven't seen them.:noidea:

They're around.

NCAAB is not big in NYC/Philly area, but if you do see some fans, it's usually Dukies. Syracuse too.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I root for ioea but attended yale and minnesota. Im a vubs fan which fits geographically but I also cheer for the lakers because growing up my dad was a celtics fan so I went opposite. Im a falcons fan because I didnt.want to cheer for the bears/packers/vikiings/chiefs like everyone else in ioea and I like atlantas uniforms. Lol

BearDownUA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As others have said, as long as your knowledgable about your team, and are there for the highs and lows, who the hells cares which team you have. You have every right to be a fan of whoever you want.

From Iowa, no professional teams at all, in the NFL its pretty much all NFC north fans and a few KC fans, picked my team very early on, unwisely, and stuck by them for the lows and the very lows. I didn't get into baseball till late in middle school, and my dads main client was Cannon cameras ten minutes from Shae so I was able to see 3-4 games in person a year in NY.

Arizona fan since Salim Stoudamire and ending up going to school and graduating from UA.

Fuck the NBA.

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My son goes to Brillion High School in Wisconsin and is on the football and basketball team. Thats who I root for so this doesnt apply to me. LOL. Get fucked fag!!

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My son goes to Brillion High School in Wisconsin and is on the football and basketball team. Thats who I root for so this doesnt apply to me. LOL. Get fucked fag!!

My father works for Appleton Papers (now named Apvion I believe). Is the plant still there or did they close it? They laid off 75% of the workers here a few years ago.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1) I hope you aren't actually a hateful SOB
2) If you are, I hope your son doesn't turn out like you.