• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

People that root for a team they have no affiliation with

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being knowledgeable about a team and watching games are FAR more of a function of the degree of fandom than geographic proximity or school enrollment are.\

In fact the worst fair-weather fans are usually people that live in the team's city or who went to the school.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been a fan of UVA since the late 70s, but don't ask me about any BB players since Brian Stith. I don't watch BB, so IDK any players. When tournament time comes around i am rooting for UVA.

I've had a warm spot for the Cavs since 1981...managed Anheuser-Busch's ACC Basketball sponsorship back then - had to/got to spend time at all the schools...was treated very well by Terry Holland and UVA media folks, sat behind the bench for a game, met the players and had a couple of drinks with Jim Larranaga afterwards. It's good to see their long-anticipated revival this season and wish them well through R64 and R32. Sorry though, my Spartys will end the Cavs' season in S16.

:suds:

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've had a warm spot for the Cavs since 1981...managed Anheuser-Busch's ACC Basketball sponsorship back then - had to/got to spend time at all the schools...was treated very well by Terry Holland and UVA media folks, sat behind the bench for a game, met the players and had a couple of drinks with Jim Larranaga afterwards. It's good to see their long-anticipated revival this season and wish them well through R64 and R32. Sorry though, my Spartys will end the Cavs' season in S16.

:suds:

Just another time of me living in the worst spot for my fandom. Since I was transferred to the greater Detroit area, I have seen my hockey team go to 2 Stanley Cups against the Detroit team, my baseball team go to 2 playoff series against the Detroit team and now my College team will knock both Michigan schools out of the Tournament.:suds:

I will root for Sparty long before I root for scUM.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing is on the East Coast, there's no programs to root for. For basketball and football. There's probably more Duke fans here than any other school, and it's probably by a large margin. I think there's some St. John's folks, but that's about it.

Pro sports are dominant here.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just another time of me living in the worst spot for my fandom. Since I was transferred to the greater Detroit area, I have seen my hockey team go to 2 Stanley Cups against the Detroit team, my baseball team go to 2 playoff series against the Detroit team and now my College team will knock both Michigan schools out of the Tournament.:suds:

I will root for Sparty long before I root for scUM.

LOL...Detroit is hazard duty...bonus is the worst winter in 50 years. My son occasionally hangs out with one of the Lions' receivers - when the guy escapes DET for ATL.

Attachments

• tn[2] - Copy.jpg
    tn[2] - Copy.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 69

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Born in Syracuse and grew up evenly divided between there, a NYC burb and a DC burb. I've spent most of my adult life in the Detroit area. So I've had a lot of rooting interests and options. I went to a small college and have always been more of a Sparty than UM fan even though the big house is about a 1/2 hour drive away. I always thought it was sort of weird to root for some random team unless you grew up and lived in an area without teams to root for. But whatever floats your boat.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Born in Syracuse and grew up evenly divided between there, a NYC burb and a DC burb. I've spent most of my adult life in the Detroit area. So I've had a lot of rooting interests and options. I went to a small college and have always been more of a Sparty than UM fan even though the big house is about a 1/2 hour drive away. I always thought it was sort of weird to root for some random team unless you grew up and lived in an area without teams to root for. But whatever floats your boat.

Born and raised in the greater Norfolk VA area. They would force feed us the DC teams, but being 4 hours away most of us picked teams that were good at that time.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Born and raised in the greater Norfolk VA area. They would force feed us the DC teams, but being 4 hours away most of us picked teams that were good at that time.

unfortunately for you, you couldn't have picked a worse baseball team to root for.

EVIL!!!!!

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the Eagles, Sixers, Yankees, Notre Dame football and Minnesota basketball, grew up in central PA, and don't give a shit what anybody thinks.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the Eagles, Sixers, Yankees, Notre Dame football and Minnesota basketball, grew up in central PA, and don't give a shit what anybody thinks.

once again, I think you made one MAJOR wrong decision hahaha. actually two, since i dislike ND quite a lot. Nah, three, since I dislike the sixers as a division rival...

man eric, what'd you do???

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really sure what the big deal is. After I graduated from Texas, I took a job in Phoenix and lived in the Scottsdale/Tempe area for about 10 years. Since I couldn't make it back to Austin every weekend for football games, I adopted the Sun Devils as my 2nd favorite college team. Even owned season tickets for 3 years at one point. I didn't take a single class at ASU, but I'm still a fan, so I guess what I'm saying to the OP is suck my chorizo :suds:

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shout out to all those Yankees, Patriots, Heat fans!

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Same here...just different regions. Been a Braves fan since childhood growing up in Illinois; Picked up Sparty and the Red Wings as a teenager in Michigan; Picked up the Falcons living in Georgia since 1980. Still don't give a shit about any NBA team, but I love going to games. Living in the heart of SEC/ACC country you can't help but enjoy great cfb and cbb for what it is...nice though, to hear "Go Sparty" a lot more often these days when I'm wearing the green cap. (wear a Red Wings cap down here and people ask what kind of bird that is.)

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You didn't know I went to the school until I told you.
Hell, even so, do you believe everything you read here?

:L

your attitude reminds me of the Blackhawks thug who took his last swing of the night at Red Wings hat wearing-me in a Chicago bar two blocks from my house. be careful who you hate on.

Read and comprehend the OP, idiot.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I.E. - You didn't attend that school. You weren't born and raised in their vicinity. Your children do not attend that school.

You people....that's right YOU PEOPLE...you irk me to no end.

This applies to pro sports as well.

I agree to certain extent. If those people chose those teams at a young age and have been loyal fans, it doesn't bother me. What I can't stand is when people just pick a team that's performing really well and become a fan in their mid 20's or something.

But the worst by far is the people who consider themselves fans of specific sports at certain schools. You know, those guys who like USC Football and North Carolina basketball. That's complete bullshit.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bunch of fucking rejects

ku-xlarge.gif

nachofum.gif

A4Jg65gCEAE_dS5.jpg-large.jpeg

Sorry, but that bottom pic is possibly the best thing I've ever seen on the internet.

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate the type that have a home team that they root for but that home team is just not that good so they go out and hand pick some other team that is more successful just to make their sorry fragile ego ass feel better about themselves and it gives them something to chirp about even though they have zero affiliation to the school.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really sure what the big deal is. After I graduated from Texas, I took a job in Phoenix and lived in the Scottsdale/Tempe area for about 10 years. Since I couldn't make it back to Austin every weekend for football games, I adopted the Sun Devils as my 2nd favorite college team. Even owned season tickets for 3 years at one point. I didn't take a single class at ASU, but I'm still a fan, so I guess what I'm saying to the OP is suck my chorizo :suds:

I am SO sorry....are you in therapy for that yet?

wiskyisgood12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where do I fit in your frustration level: I didn't attend the University of Wisconsin but I did attend a UW system school. And was born and raised in the great state of Wisconsin.