• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

People that root for a team they have no affiliation with

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ummmmm....that would be me. Never attended college period.

So I guess I'm not allowed to root for a college team...unless what....that college is in my county of residence?

Did you attend a college?

No, I did not. I was born in Cincinnati. I live in Cincinnati. I root for Cincinnati.

Kids these days have no pride in their city. It's a shame.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3) I saw Damon Stoudamire play as a frosh at Arizona when I was 7. I was also a little lefty point guard and loved Mighty Mouse. I have been a diehard Arizona fan since. I could have attended Kentucky, UNC, Indiana and it wouldn't have changed my allegiance one iota. I happened to go to Colgate too, making it very easy on me.

Played against that little bugger in HS. He went to Wilson Hi. That dude could board with the bigs in HS. He had incredible hops back in the day. A part of his game that quickly went away in College and NBA. Ultimately helping him work on his 3 ball which made him who he was.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
March madness is a totally different animal than pro-sports... everyone is a bandwagoner... But thats the fun of march madness... With teams constantly changing, and with so many games being televised, we will like the teams that we like watching...

As for pro teams, there are 7 different type of fans

1. The I rooted for this team as a kid, now i am loyal to them...
2. The I was always a fan of a local team
3. The I rooted for a different team as a kid, but with age i became a fan of this team..
4. The I Dont have one team i root for, i just like the game
5. I am not a big fan of the sport, so i will only like the teams that are good for a long time.
6. I like rooting for the underdog, even if i have no alliegence to them
7. Fan of the local team only if the local team is good..

Once my Cincinnati teams are out of their respective playoffs (which is always early) I root for the underdog. ALWAYS without fail. Screw the majors.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I partially agree with this, though mostly its just the damn Creighton fans that think they can cheer for our football team but then turn around and talk crap about our basketball program. Or is it the Husker football fans cheering for Creighton in basketball? Either way, they piss me off.

antone112

who gives a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,290.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am the best fan ever and everyone that is different than me is wrong.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I did not. I was born in Cincinnati. I live in Cincinnati. I root for Cincinnati.

And to me personally, that is loyalty 101. ANd you should take pride in that. I like it. I live in Oregon. Blazer fan, Duck alumn.

But since I could walk we were Raiders and A's fans as there is no MLB or NFL in the state. Gotta pick some West Coast team I suppose. So, it was the Oakland teams. I actually have attended several games down there. Even had Raider half season tix for nearly 10 years. ANd yes, I dropped the tix. I am not that much of a glutton for punishment.

Cincinnati, I worked for Cintas for 9 years. At their First Aid and Safety division out here.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And to me personally, that is loyalty 101. ANd you should take pride in that. I like it. I live in Oregon. Blazer fan, Duck alumn.

But since I could walk we were Raiders and A's fans as there is no MLB or NFL in the state. Gotta pick some West Coast team I suppose. So, it was the Oakland teams. I actually have attended several games down there. Even had Raider half season tix for nearly 10 years. ANd yes, I dropped the tix. I am not that much of a glutton for punishment.

Cincinnati, I worked for Cintas for 9 years. At their First Aid and Safety division out here. Great company Cincinnati proud.:yahoo:

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to be honest I don't want to think hard enough to make an intelligent guess. I would imagine we are talking UW, but it could be WSU too...

California Bears.

It's cool when they make it, but they just don't have a well run program. I feel like nobody cares about sports in general there. I did see the Arizona game this year though.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
California Bears.

It's cool when they make it, but they just don't have a well run program. I feel like nobody cares about sports in general there. I did see the Arizona game this year though.

dagger

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I.E. - You didn't attend that school. You weren't born and raised in their vicinity. Your children do not attend that school.

You people....that's right YOU PEOPLE...you irk me to no end.

This applies to pro sports as well.

Gargle my nutsack Kramer

Blaise Winter

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I lucked out in Wisconsin in that there are pro football/basketball/baseball teams in-state, and 4 D1 college basketball teams. Well, "luck" might not be the right word when it comes to the Bucks, but I never went through the act of finding an allegiance. Though I might care more about hockey if there were an NHL team - most people here go a few miles into the IL or MN border for their teams, but I can't see myself rooting for rival state's squads under any conditions.

I didn't go to a D1 college so I can cherry-pick and follow Wisconsin, Marquette, Milwaukee and Green Bay without stressing the fact that these are often bitter rivals amongst alumni.

I'm obviously fine with someone picking whatever team they wish, especially if they don't live in a region with a sports team they can root for; however, for whatever reason, it really bothers me when a person within a region with a team instead roots for the Yankees, or Duke, or the Lakers, etc. Just seems like a douchey low-character move.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I grew up in a house that did not watch sports. At all. Ever. Also we moved every couple years (military). I played sports and loved basketball, but never watched it. I got my first exposure in middle school when my friends started talking about it.

Then march madness came and everyone was filling out their brackets. Someone asked me who I had winning it all. I looked at the bracket knowing absolutely nothing... I picked #4 seed Arizona.

This prompted some laughter but I defended my choice and stuck with it. I watched every game, falling in love with college basketball and that great Arizona team.

It was 1997. They won the national championship. In the 17 years since I've been as big of an Arizona fan as anyone.

Incidentally, I ended up doing some graduate work for my Masters at the U of A.

There are many ways to become a fan of a team. Who cares how it happens.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
give it up...indeed

it really bothers me when a person within a region with a team instead roots for the Yankees, or Duke, or the Lakers, etc. Just seems like a douchey low-character move.

guess my wife and I and several thousand other MSU alums here in Atlanta are all 'douchies' beneath contempt. fuck that shit...I'm perfectly happy to share fandom with anybody who...ISN'T A DOUCHE! and anybody who thinks otherwise...IS A DOUCHE!

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
guess my wife and I and several thousand other MSU alums here in Atlanta are all 'douchies' beneath contempt. fuck that shit...I'm perfectly happy to share fandom with anybody who...ISN'T A DOUCHE! and anybody who thinks otherwise...IS A DOUCHE!

You went to the school. You're exempt.

Brocktagon

the handsome super genius
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry, I don't agree with that at all. I like 2 NY teams, Mets and Rangers. The rest, I can't stand and will never root for them.

this ^^^ is why i'm friends with johnny :suds:

honestly, who the hell wants to be a lowly jets fan?? :laugh3:

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ive covered this many times but here it goes again.

I moved around as a kid ALOT.

Packers - family tradition and my family is from Kentucky
White Sox - livied in Chicago and my first ever baseball game was at Comiskey and I got free tickets for perfect attendance in school!
Wings - lived in Jackson, Michigan when I first started to watch and like hockey and it stuck.
Gators - moved from Illinois to Jacksonville, Florida and saw Billy Donovan speak and have been hooked on the Gators since.

All of this moving was before I was out of elementary school.

Some will say I'm a bandwagon fan but I dont care...I like who I like for the reasons I listed above and many more. I have been very fortunate as a fan in my life.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im okay with it as long as people keep up with their team. Now if you're just wearing a Yankees hat because Jayz wears a Yankees hat then you suck

Brocktagon

the handsome super genius
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im okay with it as long as people keep up with their team. Now if you're just wearing a Yankees hat because Jayz wears a Yankees hat then you suck

i'm friends with 3 patriots/Yankees fans and 2 stoolers/Yankees fans.

it's annoying :doh: