• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

pederson is still an idiot

L.Freamon

Formerly FWFW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The giants did nothing for 3 quarters. Eagles ran themselves up 14, and basically let the giants hang around because they ran the whole time instead of getting chunk yards in the passing game. The difference here is I'm not complaining. Pederson does what he does to give the team the best chance to win. He has great feel and was out calling Spags with just the run game going in every direction with every back.
Funniest post i read all day.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The giants did nothing for 3 quarters. Eagles ran themselves up 14, and basically let the giants hang around because they ran the whole time instead of getting chunk yards in the passing game. The difference here is I'm not complaining. Pederson does what he does to give the team the best chance to win. He has great feel and was out calling Spags with just the run game going in every direction with every back.

I'm surprised Ertz isn't getting more criticism. His fumble put the Giants right back into the game. And it was an extremely weak fumble.

I like Ertz -- but he's got to protect the football. He put the team in a shitty situation. Without that fumble, who knows what happens -- but I suspect the Eagles would have had a nice drive and hopefully came away with some points. Instead, the Giants went from down 14 to tied in the blink of an eye.

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, pederson has a 'great feel' .. for holding a clipboard.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm surprised Ertz isn't getting more criticism. His fumble put the Giants right back into the game. And it was an extremely weak fumble.

I like Ertz -- but he's got to protect the football. He put the team in a shitty situation. Without that fumble, who knows what happens -- but I suspect the Eagles would have had a nice drive and hopefully came away with some points. Instead, the Giants went from down 14 to tied in the blink of an eye.
Ertz is soft but Pederson and Wentz were good enough to overcome it.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, pederson has a 'great feel' .. for holding a clipboard.
Bitches like you have been complaining from day one.

You'll complain during the super bowl victory too because that's what bitches do.:nod:

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bitches like you have been complaining from day one.

You'll complain during the super bowl victory too because that's what bitches do.:nod:

attachment.php

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

People make mistakes... But while he fumbled - he also worked his ars off. He also dropped one in the endzone, then came right back and scored on the following play. You won't find someone on the team that makes no mistakes. Ertz is the least of our problems, and we don't need to create ANOTHER issue when we have another. TE is fine. Ertz is fine.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ertz is soft but Pederson and Wentz were good enough to overcome it.

you say this.. then complain about others beaching??? REALLY????

You seriously need to get rid of that ole school Philly habit of just wanting to throw the best players under the bus. Ertz is one of our best players. Get off his back already.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You seriously need to get rid of that ole school Philly habit of just wanting to throw the best players under the bus. Ertz is one of our best players. Get off his back already.
Lol Ertz is soft. He's fine, but he's soft. Get over it.

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And it is still fair to criticize him for the fumble, less so for the dropped TD (which was as much on Wentz at least) as on Ertz.

I also think Wentz is not as soft as many prortray him to be. And for those referencing last year, the rib injury he suffered at the beginning of the year was such that it could easily have become life threatening.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have never heard anyone call Wentz soft.

Ertz is what he is: a big wide receiver playing TE. He's not and will never be a tough guy.

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have never heard anyone call Wentz soft.

Ertz is what he is: a big wide receiver playing TE. He's not and will never be a tough guy.

Typo... I meant Ertz... and Ertz is much tougher than you think;

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's been said by tons of people already, myself included, we are perfectly fine running the ball. it just needs to be consistently called! pederson has done so the last 2 games and look at the results..

giants game: 39 carries/193 yards/4.9 average. 5 players with runs of 11 or more yards.

chargers game: 42 carries/214 yards/5.1 average. 4 players with runs of 10 or more yards.

we've been able to win 2 close games. wentz has gone a combined 38-62 for 418 yards, 2 TD and 0 INT.

one of the biggest plays in my opinion in the chargers game was when they were up 19-17 with 13+ minutes left. clement rushed for 4 to set up a 2nd and 6. instead of going right back to the pass, they handed off to blount and he busted it for 68 yards. they ran the ball 7 times that drive and passed twice (an incomplete and a sack.)

this is the type of play calling the eagles need game after game. i'm pretty shocked pederson stuck with it. if he would have went heavy pass, like usual, i have no doubt they would have lost the game in the end due to sacks, a costly INT, or 3 and outs.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dougie was on point calling plays for much of yesterday. The Chargers are bad, yes, but they were totally off balance at times.

And...Doug stuck with the run! Amazing what happens when you run the ball consistently huh? Teams wear down, and you win close games by controlling the time of possession when it counts.

Somewhere Chip Kelly is scratching his head...

I'd like to see more straight-ahead blocking at times, but the line is doing its job very well, and some of the outside plays, like the stretch they seem to keep calling where the back lines up to the left of Wentz and then runs to the right, are really working very well.

The three-headed monster we have at RB also really seems to be working. None of these guys individually is a special talent, but combined Doug is doing a good job of keeping them fresh while getting them enough reps to get into the flow of these games, and really contribute this season.

I really like what I have seen from Clement so far. He runs very well inside in short yardage situations. He has enough patience and burst to square up and hit creases and enough power to push the pile forward.

Blount is basically a battering ram with good feet, but you can see he lacks speed at this stage in his career. I think he is best used in a committee getting 10-15 carries a game.

Smallwood is the passing game back now obviously and he seems OK in that role. I am still not crazy about him but he seems to be playing well and has the most quickness out of this bunch for sure.

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, but again...

First of all, the success of the running game these last two games and the failure the previous two games had comparatively little to do with Doug Pederson sticking with the run (like some of the brain dead maintain and advocate as the one and only viable approach to a game, no matter what actually works and has success), and much to do with other things like:

- The Giants and the Chargers are the worst two teams against the run. The Redskins and KC are much better against the run.

- The O-line played much better, almost from the start, against the Chargers and Giants. Not only replacing Seumalo helped, but the rest of the O-line has played better as well.

- The RB's themselves seemed to run better (more intensity/decisiveness) than in the first two games). Blount looked slow the first two games.

I am getting sick and tired of the idiots that think that running the ball 35+ times a game every game is the way to success - and abuse every statistic available and ignore all context to 'prove' their point. Even if the running game is going nowhere, and the short passing game is pretty much carving up the opposing defense, the way to success and the only proper way to call plays is to run the ball over and over... Often most of the runs in games they cite as evidence came in late when the leading team was running out the clock - and the lead of the game was created by passing the ball. Similarly they consider draws and delayed runs as 'evidence' that one should run the ball, even if those are the types of runs clearly set up by a successful passing game.

Hell, many of these are the same idiots who immediately after the KC claimed that the Hunt TD-run (and generally the success of KC) was a direct result of KC 'sticking with the run', even though that was obvious and easily dismissed BS, as Reid ran even less than Pederson, and Hunt's run was set up by a Hill end-around (a play these same 'experts' want Doug Pederson be hanged for if he calls it).

Second, I am getting sick and tired of the idiots (by and large the same), who continually moan about Pederson passing too much and will not run the ball, especially after two games where the running game was NOT working, and the opposing team's weakness was the pass defence. In Pederson's first season, the run-pass ratio over the whole season was right in the middle of the pack. This shows that Pederson ran the ball last season when viable, and there is/was no reason to assume he would not run the ball this season.

Was it nice to see the Eagles run the ball effectively? Certainly. Will it be better long-term for the Eagles (and Wentz) if they continue to run the ball effectively? Certainly. Should they always run the ball? No. It depends on how the O-line is doing, the RB's are doing, and where the weaknesses of the opposing defense lies.

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And...Doug stuck with the run! Amazing what happens when you run the ball consistently huh? Teams wear down, and you win close games by controlling the time of possession when it counts.

Somewhere Chip Kelly is scratching his head...

I agree with you about Chip Kelly scratching his head.

BTW, TOP for the Eagles through four games:

Week 01: 34:16
Week 02: 30:19
Week 03: 37:32
Week 04: 39:18

So the Eagles won the TOP in every game, though closer against the two best teams they faced (also the two teams much better against the run).

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see more straight-ahead blocking at times, but the line is doing its job very well, and some of the outside plays, like the stretch they seem to keep calling where the back lines up to the left of Wentz and then runs to the right, are really working very well.

Straight up running is not - by and large - the strength of this team or of the O-line. Not sure how effective it is against some of the schemes used by opposing defenses.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dutchbird. Here is my problem with your entire argument. After the first 2 games Pederson himself came out and said the Eagles needed to run the ball more. He also said that the running game needs to be better. That the team needed to fix it. Those were his words not any fans. He became more committed to the run and it showed in the results.

Teams are not pinning their ears back pass rushing every play. They have to respect the run. Oh.....and K.C. gives up 4.3 yards per rush. The Giants give up 4.6 the Chargers 4.8. So K.C is not as stout as you think they are.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course, it helps to run against bad run defense teams, and I think that (and covering up for the injured D) motivated some of the play-calling.

I disagree on straight-ahead runs not being the strength of our o-line. Other than Kelce, all our linemen now are good drive blockers, and with Sproles out, our best backs are clearly power runners.

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dutchbird. Here is my problem with your entire argument. After the first 2 games Pederson himself came out and said the Eagles needed to run the ball more. He also said that the running game needs to be better. That the team needed to fix it. Those were his words not any fans. He became more committed to the run and it showed in the results.

Of course Pederson came out and said so. Because he is well aware that the run-pass ratio, and a non-existent running game is NOT the way to survive and be successful over a whole season. Pederson was talking long term.

Short term - winning that particular game - calling pass and pretty much abandoning the run was probably the way to go. In particular against Washington, (2nd in the NFL against the run through 3 weeks), and with the way the O-line was NOT run-blocking, also against KC.

And no-one said the lack of running game was not a problem going forward. NO-ONE. The running game in the first two games WAS broken; for many reasons, of which Pederson not sticking with the run because he is Pederson and only wants to pass (as some people believe) was the least of the issues. The run-blocking by the O-line was atrocious, for one. Whenever it was not, the RB's were not running as they ought. Sole exception - somewhat - being Sproles.

I find it utter stupidity that people are calling for Pederson to call 25+ runs when (a) the running game is OBVIOUSLY not working that game, and (b) the weakness of that defense is the pass, and (c) the pass is actually working that game. As has been pointed out by many authors, running for the sake or running is not how things work in the NFL as it currently is - that is something that dates back to the 1980's, if not the 1940's and 1950's.

Teams are not pinning their ears back pass rushing every play. They have to respect the run. Oh.....and K.C. gives up 4.3 yards per rush. The Giants give up 4.6 the Chargers 4.8. So K.C is not as stout as you think they are.

Yup. And we all saw the KC game, where people with common sense saw the running game was NOT working at all; the sole aspect that was working was Sproles outside runs (off tackle and side-line), and even there more often than not it involved Sproles making the play because there were defenders in the backfield. The sole runs up the middle that seemed to work were draws - that are set up by the pass.