• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Patriots trade WR Cooks to Rams for 23rd overall pick

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This seems like a lose-lose.

Pats should be in 'win now' mode and the WR/TE class coming out is awful. Rams shouldn't overvalue Cooks.

Bellichick probably has some guy he'll get from the Browns practice squad that will make the pro bowl next year but the Rams are reaching and I think this is a rare wtf move for them.
NE is in win now mode. Offense hasn't been an issue. How quickly people forget NE starting players like Reche Cadwell, Bethel Johnson, David Givens... Their current receiver corps is fine. I wish they kept Amendola but oh well. Like you mentioned the next Edelman/Welker are out there just waiting for a chance to excel in NE.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They just let a better WR go in Watkins...

I don't get the fascination with Cooks given they JUST did that on the Rams' part.
He caught 65 balls last year. He was better with Brees the previous year. To give up a fist for a slightly above average receiver seems very risky especially without an extension in place.

Also, Cooks going from Brees to Brady to Goff? Is it possible the QB had a lot to do with his numbers.

At least the Rams are going all in. If they walk away with a Lombardi all is well. Anything less with some of the moves they have been making is unacceptable.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He caught 65 balls last year. He was better with Brees the previous year. To give up a fist for a slightly above average receiver seems very risky especially without an extension in place.

Also, Cooks going from Brees to Brady to Goff? Is it possible the QB had a lot to do with his numbers.

At least the Rams are going all in. If they walk away with a Lombardi all is well. Anything less with some of the moves they have been making is unacceptable.
If I were a fantasy owner of Cooks I'd be selling so fast right now before someone took a deep dive into Cooks. He's not dominant at what he does and has a weak intermediate game compared to other featured receivers. Lot of concerns as far as fit goes. NE made out really well here.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You would think so, but they also let go of Watkins after it was pretty easy to anticipate it may not be the most productive pairing year 1 given the timing of the trade and new offense. Gotta ask what the deal was with Richardson in Seattle given the deal he got while we're at this.

Can't remember the specifics of the Watkins deal....weren't there some other player(s) and lower draft picks involved? If so, the Cooks deal seems more straightforward.....unless the Rams believe he's totally underwhelming.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't remember the specifics of the Watkins deal....weren't there some other player(s) and lower draft picks involved? If so, the Cooks deal seems more straightforward.....unless the Rams believe he's totally underwhelming.
EJ Gaines, who did pretty well for the Bills actually, I think. Rams ended up dealing surplus at DB so it didn't matter to them, the pick is a much more real loss, however.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NE is in win now mode. Offense hasn't been an issue. How quickly people forget NE starting players like Reche Cadwell, Bethel Johnson, David Givens... Their current receiver corps is fine. I wish they kept Amendola but oh well. Like you mentioned the next Edelman/Welker are out there just waiting for a chance to excel in NE.

I bet Dallas would trade you Cole Beasley for a good deal. WOuldn't imagine it would cost more than a 4th, maybe Cole + Dallas 6th for your 4th? We don't need him now and he would thrive in NE system. I'd pay up to $20 to draft him next year in the NE system.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That WR depth is only plentiful because you guys have Brady. With average QB play that wouldn't be a very good list.
I'd say it's more the system Brady has helped build. Jimmy G and Jacoby Brissett did fairly well. Don't you remember all the hater threads depicting it as the system?

I have no issue losing Cooks. Wish they had kept DA but he priced himself out of NEs comfort zone unfortunately. I hope NE goes Defense with both 1st round picks. Take a QB later or wait it out and get one in FA when TB hangs them up.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cooks will be extended, book it. Goff and Cooks have been working together this offseason and share the same agent.
At a minimum of $14M plus a year, I doubt it.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say it's more the system Brady has helped build. Jimmy G and Jacoby Brissett did fairly well. Don't you remember all the hater threads depicting it as the system?

I have no issue losing Cooks. Wish they had kept DA but he priced himself out of NEs comfort zone unfortunately. I hope NE goes Defense with both 1st round picks. Take a QB later or wait it out and get one in FA when TB hangs them up.

Nick. Foles.

NE QB of the future. Nick does his best with no pressure, when he is told what he needs to go out and do and he does it. He is good staying out of the limelight like Bill wants, and he is coachable. Put him in the NE system and he could do just fine replacing Brady. He won't be Brady, but he can do Brasy-esque things back there in Bill's system.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So were they the same sucker last year, giving up what they gave for him.
NE had him for two years if they had chose. NE also moves up 8 spots in the first round. Not sure I see the comparison?

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So unless I am missing something

Edelman (off an ACL tear)
Hogan
Britt
Mitchell
Dorsett
Patterson

Not a very good group of WR's right now. TBF Patterson I presume is there more for KR's than anything.
Don't forget to add Gronk and the RBs. This all before the draft and camp. I'll admit on paper it's not the greatest team of WRs, but then again when has TB12 had that? NE fans are good with this deal.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wentz wasn’t great going deep last year but I’d have no issue with the Eagles bringing in more deep threats. Not sure if the situation is similar with Goff but ability is not a question with Wentz.
Yes but are you willing to give up a 1st for a one year rental?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Patriots' acquisition of the No. 23 overall pick from the Rams in exchange for Brandin Cooks "was all about" trying to trade up for a quarterback in this month's draft.

A member of the Patriots' organization told La Canfora he would "certainly not" be surprised if the Cooks trade was made to acquire more ammo to move up in the draft. La Canfora admitted his "total hunch" is the Patriots may be eyeing Baker Mayfield due to his mobility and top-notch accuracy. Coach Bill Belichick realizes he needs to find Tom Brady's successor, and this QB-deep draft offers one of the best chances to find that guy. However, there will be a ton of competition to move up in the draft. New England has two firsts and two seconds. Tom Brady is officially on suicide watch.

Source: Jason LaCanfora Twitter

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet Dallas would trade you Cole Beasley for a good deal. WOuldn't imagine it would cost more than a 4th, maybe Cole + Dallas 6th for your 4th? We don't need him now and he would thrive in NE system. I'd pay up to $20 to draft him next year in the NE system.
I like that thinking but not sure I could give up that 4th? Maybe Beasley and Dallas 5th for NEs 4th?

More to follow on draft day. If BB trades those (2) #1s or (2) #2s for more picks maybe I give up the 4th. What's Beasley's current contract status?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL Network's Steve Wyche reports the Rams plan to sign contract-year WR Brandin Cooks to an extension prior to the season.

Jared Goff and Cooks have been training together this offseason and share the same agent, so perhaps there have already been discussions with Cooks' representation. He's a West Coast guy who grew up in Stockton, Cali. and played his college ball at Oregon State. Cooks won't come cheap, however, and should command around the $16 million per year Sammy Watkins got. But all signs point to the two sides hammering out a deal after the Rams gave up a first-rounder.

Source: Rotoworld

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nick. Foles.

NE QB of the future. Nick does his best with no pressure, when he is told what he needs to go out and do and he does it. He is good staying out of the limelight like Bill wants, and he is coachable. Put him in the NE system and he could do just fine replacing Brady. He won't be Brady, but he can do Brasy-esque things back there in Bill's system.
This could work out if Philly holds onto him thru the 18/19 season. It all depends on what TB12 is going to do.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't think it's that great of a move... lol. I'm sure someone will just claim I'm a hater because I'm a Seahawks fan but when I objectively look at it, doesn't really make sense.

Cooks has been known to have issues in the locker room, especially when he doesn't get targeted enough. He has thrown tantrums before and that's while playing with two HOF QBs in Brady/Brees. Putting him on a young Rams team with a very junior QB could disrupt the flow of the offense. They have a similar player in Austin who really isn't utilized very well, so I really don't get the point of this at all. It's also just a 1 year rental and I don't think Cooks is even worth resigning.

The Rams must REALLY think they can win the Super Bowl this year because they're exhausting a ton of resources in picks + carry over cap to do so. I really don't think they'll bring it all together, but who knows. Vikings/Eagles/Packers (Rodgers health) are all superior teams to the Rams so I'm not exactly sure why the Rams think they can make a mega run and need to start sacrificing picks.

Summary:
A grade Patriots - This is why this team is so good. Grab an extra 1st rounder for a WR who complains and is not THAT vital to the offense and will have a contract expire in a year and prob. ask for high money.
C+ grade Rams - Sure I get it. Cooks is a talented player who should help Goff, just like Sammy Watkins. Granted this is a much cheaper contract than Sammy Watkins but it's a 1 year rental that cost a 1st round pick who can cause locker room issues.

Last edited:

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cooks will be extended....there just isn't much point in spending a first rounder if that isn't your intention.
Brandin Cooks - WR - Rams
NFL Network's Steve Wyche reports the Rams plan to sign contract-year WR Brandin Cooks to an extension prior to the season.

Jared Goff and Cooks have been training together this offseason and share the same agent, so perhaps there have already been discussions with Cooks' representation. He's a West Coast guy who grew up in Stockton, Cali. and played his college ball at Oregon State. Cooks won't come cheap, however, and should command around the $16 million per year Sammy Watkins got. But all signs point to the two sides hammering out a deal after the Rams gave up a first-rounder.

Source: Steve Wyche on Twitter