• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Patriots trade WR Cooks to Rams for 23rd overall pick

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So unless I am missing something

Edelman (off an ACL tear)
Hogan
Britt
Mitchell
Dorsett
Patterson

Not a very good group of WR's right now. TBF Patterson I presume is there more for KR's than anything.
Not very good at all IMO. I would almost lean towards poor:2cents:

When you add a guy like Gronk it of course looks better, but good enough? We shall see

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brandin Cooks - WR - Rams
NFL Network's Steve Wyche reports the Rams plan to sign contract-year WR Brandin Cooks to an extension prior to the season.

Jared Goff and Cooks have been training together this offseason and share the same agent, so perhaps there have already been discussions with Cooks' representation. He's a West Coast guy who grew up in Stockton, Cali. and played his college ball at Oregon State. Cooks won't come cheap, however, and should command around the $16 million per year Sammy Watkins got. But all signs point to the two sides hammering out a deal after the Rams gave up a first-rounder.

Source: Steve Wyche on Twitter

Which allows them to focus on Donald and potentially franchise him if need be.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not very good at all IMO. I would almost lean towards poor:2cents:

When you add a guy like Gronk it of course looks better, but good enough? We shall see

I think it's good enough if Mitchell is healthy and can play a full season.

In fact healthy for all is key. Hogan missed a lot last year, Edleman has his knee thing. Mitchell's knee is in doubt.

And Gronk himself needs to stay on the field.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NE is in win now mode. Offense hasn't been an issue. How quickly people forget NE starting players like Reche Cadwell, Bethel Johnson, David Givens... Their current receiver corps is fine. I wish they kept Amendola but oh well. Like you mentioned the next Edelman/Welker are out there just waiting for a chance to excel in NE.
New England should make the playoffs in 2018.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes but are you willing to give up a 1st for a one year rental?

They are already working on the extension. Cooks has the same agent as Goff, and the Rams have been discussing this trade for a while. They wouldn't have traded the #23 without knowing the extension would happen.

If the Rams had earmarked that #23 for Watkins replacement then this deal is likely better than what they would've been able to get in this down WR draft class.

Brandin Cooks has 1,000 Rec yds & 7 TD in each of the last 3 seasons. The only other player in the NFL to hit those marks every year since 2015 is Antonio Brown.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the Cooks deal with the Rams. They are already talking extension and we are good to go with the additional fourth rounder.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, if signed prior to the start of the season, we can expect somewhere in the neighborhood of 16M dollars AAV.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems funny to me people are really underestimating the WR group. I guess they just don't watch the games, you add two pass catching RB to the mix and this group is pretty darn dynamic

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems funny to me people are really underestimating the WR group. I guess they just don't watch the games, you add two pass catching RB to the mix and this group is pretty darn dynamic

I guess with the Pats it is always tough to tell how good the unit really is or just how dominant Brady is. He has had an assortment of weapons and seems to find success with all of them.

I do think they still have a very good offense but I will say I think they are not what they were last year. An injury to Gronk or Edelman and this offense could really struggle. Also depends some on how the new starters on the OL pan out.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They are an above average group I agree. But no home run hitters. And as I said injuries change it all. I never thought Hogan was close to 100% when he was playing late in the season. They had to manage Amendola all year with Edelman out.

So they had honestly better hope injuries have healed well. And Gronk stays healthy.

And Brady stays vertical.

LetsGoPats

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it's not realistic but, hypothetically, if Edelman, Gronk, Hogan, Mitchell, Burkhead and White were healthy all year, that's all you need. Add a serviceable 4th WR into that mix and it's a recipe for a Superbowl party at my house.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ask a NFL scout then…who compares college numbers when assessing talent, be it a starter or one who won't be unleashed off the bench.
Isn't Goff the starter and Mannion a back up with the Rams? Why would I ask a NFL scout?

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are already working on the extension. Cooks has the same agent as Goff, and the Rams have been discussing this trade for a while. They wouldn't have traded the #23 without knowing the extension would happen.

If the Rams had earmarked that #23 for Watkins replacement then this deal is likely better than what they would've been able to get in this down WR draft class.
Good luck with that. You may sign Cooks but you won't be resigning all your young studs who are all coming due their big pay days. Cooks should do well in the Rams system. His price is going up as we speak and well deserved.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess with the Pats it is always tough to tell how good the unit really is or just how dominant Brady is. He has had an assortment of weapons and seems to find success with all of them.

I do think they still have a very good offense but I will say I think they are not what they were last year. An injury to Gronk or Edelman and this offense could really struggle. Also depends some on how the new starters on the OL pan out.
Maybe we should wait to see who's on the roster come the start of the season. NE has lined up a lot worse WR groups and have done pretty well.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
because he would know better who could win a SB with the rams and who will not win a SB with the rams.
LOL, a NFL scout would know who the QB starter should be for the Rams. I guess even a NFL scout has their opinions.