• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Panthers rescind franchise tag for Josh Norman making him a free agent

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Props to the Panthers for not letting another player over price himself for the ego of it....
Reports are that he was demanding to be the highest paid cb in the league after just 1 good yr....
Absurd, and the Panthers brass had enough of it....:clap:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is quite odd imo, but my thoughts are two things happened:

1) Josh Norman just wanted too much money (but c'mon, what was he asking for $20M a season? Give me a break),
2) Something happened here non money related.

It's very odd to franchise a player who is top 3 at the position (if not top 5 for sure) and was a big success reason for the Panthers playoff/SBOWL run and then not get anything negotiated. Yes front 4 is important, but good corners (where Carolina is somewhat a little thin at the moment) are becoming a premium in a passing league.

The Panthers HAD to have an idea of what he was looking for and worked towards getting a deal, but for them to rescind on this, I have to think Norman (who is a hot head) had something off field happen or some falling out with ownership.

Either way, I would have to imagine this is going to be a big red flag to every other team. He's not even going to be 29 until basically towards the end of the season, so a 5 year contract would still mean he'd play another 3-4 years in decent shape, not to mention he entered the scene a little bit later so he's not AS banged up.

There's more to this story than a contract I feel. When the GM says, "Thanks Josh for all the contribution and we wish you well." that just says something strange happened. Almost like Paul Allen stepping in with Kam Chancellor saying, "We're not extending you." who is a VERY hands off owner. I feel like Josh (like Kam) pissed off the wrong people.

I understand Kawaan Short will command money but the Panthers still have quite a bit of cap, are not signing any HIGH first round picks and the expensive players like Cam Newton/Keuchley are not really commanding anymore money than they are in 2016 in future years, while the cap rises. Also, this is probably Jonathan's Stewarts last year which is $8M more cap freed up... $38M + future cap increases is PLENTY to sign Star/Kawaan/Josh while letting the bigger hits like Thomas Davis free up.

Something just isn't right here. It's not like this is the Seahawks with $6M of open cap (although they still have Lynch on there) where there's just no room. The Panthers have some of the most cap of any team atm.

Last edited:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It does seem strange that a team with 31 million in cap space, let's, what most would consider a core player leave. When they are in the hunt for another SB. The Panthers do seem to be tight with their money, maybe it just came down to the fact they had a figure in mind for a long term deal and Norman ( and his agent) wanted waaaay more IDK.:scratch:

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And guess where he could end up..........

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was in talk with the saints and Brees restructure is about to happen. So he was close.

And he chose the wrong team.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5 years, $75 million deal.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just circled September 25th on my calendar

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$50 million guaranteed.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it is all Scot, you should be happy. Smart dude.
Cautiously optimistic. Even the best talent evaluators can overpay and miss. But doesn't worry me like the Cerrato years.