• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Panthers rescind franchise tag for Josh Norman making him a free agent

CruiseControl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Franchise & transition tag guys can be traded. Teams own their player's rights.

But I doubt if any team would trade for him without already having a long term deal agreed upon.

Just because they franchise him doesn't make him "signed". He has to actually sign the contract to be signed and at that point his entire salary is guaranteed. More than likely what happened is he refused to sign and demanded a long term contract for a lot of money they don't have or couldn't see spending. He would probably hold out of training camp trying to force a deal and they decided it was going to be a head ache and that they couldn't afford what he was asking so just released him. But you definitely can not trade a franchised player who has not signed his contract because there is nothing signed to trade.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jags have bank and they really need D help as their O looks pretty decent. Close to home for Norman.

Jags could go DL a couple of times and LB in the top half of the draft and come on as a surprise team this year if they play this right. I could see them going hard after Norman immediately .

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's good but this is a big contract that I could see backfiring on whoever signs him.

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trust me it's not going to matter. Panthers> Saints even without Norman.

You think saints are losing both games again to Carolina? I doubt that, I doubted that before this move. Drew Brees does not lose to a divison rival four straight times. Was this about the saints season?
When the saints do contend again(and they will), you sure as hell will be on the receiving end because when they do come back they are going to come back......hard.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Niners, talk about a disappearing act.

Told my Brother last night he is going to end up on some bad team who can pay him a lot of money.

I don't blame Carolina. He is turning 29 before the end of the 2016 season

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jags have bank and they really need D help as their O looks pretty decent. Close to home for Norman.

Jags could go DL a couple of times and LB in the top half of the draft and come on as a surprise team this year if they play this right. I could see them going hard after Norman immediately .
Honestly, I could see Jacksonville winning 10-12 games by 2018. They are really building things the right way. They remind me of how Cincinnati has built themselves over the last decade, relying on smart, savvy draft choices and not breaking the bank in free agency.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brutally overrated

There are some stats, im too lazy to look for, that reflect that Norman received more help over the top than about 80% of corners in the NFL last season

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Brutally overrated

There are some stats, im too lazy to look for, that reflect that Norman received more help over the top than about 80% of corners in the NFL last season

He's one of the best in the NFC, but the all-pro' moniker he received is undeserved IMO.

Not sure how good of a long-term investment he's going to be at age 29 in December.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough to pay top corner money for a zone corner approaching his 30s.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is very odd. What is the backstory?

Back story.

This is JMHO.

Drafted by and groomed in the CAR DEF system. This was clearly a breakout yr for Norman...they play a zone scheme much like the Steelers so your CBs are not relied on to be lock down man to man defenders...he excels in this system...how would he do if you put him on an island against a top WR1...if his matchup with Julio means anything...he'll get torched more than he will make plays...long winded way of saying...he's a great system player.

CAR knows this, he's not a $14-16 mil per talent...Why not trade him or worse case let him play out the franchise tag...this is where it gets a little odd as you said...Trade...idk, maybe the market wasn't there given his ability to walk and the money he wants....Apparently the Panthers feel he's not a great team guy, locker room guy and did not want the distraction.

Bad move to just let him go imo, good CBs, even zone scheme guys are not easy to find.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back story.

This is JMHO.

Drafted by and groomed in the CAR DEF system. This was clearly a breakout yr for Norman...they play a zone scheme much like the Steelers so your CBs are not relied on to be lock down man to man defenders...he excels in this system...how would he do if you put him on an island against a top WR1...if his matchup with Julio means anything...he'll get torched more than he will make plays...long winded way of saying...he's a great system player.

CAR knows this, he's not a $14-16 mil per talent...Why not trade him or worse case let him play out the franchise tag...this is where it gets a little odd as you said...Trade...idk, maybe the market wasn't there given his ability to walk and the money he wants....Apparently the Panthers feel he's not a great team guy, locker room guy and did not want the distraction.

Bad move to just let him go imo, good CBs, even zone scheme guys are not easy to find

Well stated...not sure I pay top dollar for this guy. It will be interesting to see who steps up

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Franchise & transition tag guys can be traded. Teams own their player's rights.

But I doubt if any team would trade for him without already having a long term deal agreed upon.
Don't they have to sign it first?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Free agent cornerbacks tend to flop more often than any other position

And those approaching 30 flop big time

Norman is a lot older than I thought.

I don't think the market is nearly as robust as people might think.

It is probably a smart move long term for Carolina.
Maybe, but when you just went to the SB and have a relatively young team do you only look at the long run? If I am Carolina I would be focusing on the next 3 years as my SB window. Now personally I don't think they are that good, they overachieved and are overrated and wouldn't make another SB anyway...but still

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well stated...not sure I pay top dollar for this guy. It will be interesting to see who steps up

Apparently he's receiving a lot of interest....PIT is kicking the tires, but they won't be able to go much over $5 mil per...and have money for a draft class.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1