• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pablo Sandoval Possibly to Red Sox for $80-90 Million

jete02fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The line up is better than last year, and that was the goal...

Betts
Pedroia
Ortiz
Ramirez
Napoli
Sandoval
Castillo
Bogaerts
Vazquez

This is provided they figureout how to trade Cespeded & Victorino....
agree

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KNBR has said that Sandoval said that the DH was a big factor. Also, apparently, he, Papi and Hanley are pretty good friends, so it was kind of a group deal. Other rumors are that he was bent that the Giants didn't sign him to a "Pence" deal (5/90) last winter/ST.

Who knows if any of these are accurate. Just some theories that are getting thrown around.

As I have said on the Giants board, while I hate to see Sandoval go, I think that the Giants "losing" this battle was actually a win. That is a LOT of money going to a BIG question mark. Sure, he has a track record of crushing in post-season play, and I am a believer in that, but his numbers have been steadily going down while his waistline has been steadily going up. His self-motivation has been an issue his whole career, and now he has a shit-ton of money and a safety net of the DH to take incentive away from him staying in shape.

As usual, the Giants handled this the right way. :gaah:

Do we know for a fact what their offer was? I'm curious if they really even pursued the guy once they knew what other teams were offering.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As usual, the Giants handled this the right way. :gaah:

Do we know for a fact what their offer was? I'm curious if they really even pursued the guy once they knew what other teams were offering.

One of my theories (completely pulled out of my ass, and I am not even sure that I buy it) is that the Giants were just doing Sandoval a solid by acting like they were in the mix, to drive up his asking price. He did a lot for the organization, and they wanted to make sure he was taken care of, but they didn't necessarily want to be the ones who were doing the "taking care of".

This is a bit "tin-foil", granted, but there may be at least a kernel of truth in there somewhere.

As for what their offer was, it was reported that they were at 5/95, but were willing to go higher.

There was obviously a LOT going on that was not reported (Giants didn't want him? He didn't want the Giants?) and we will never know the whole story.

Last edited by a moderator:

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of my theories (completely pulled out of my ass, and I am not even sure that I buy it) is that the Giants were just doing Sandoval a solid by acting like they were in the mix, to drive up his asking price. He did a lot for the organization, and they wanted to make sure he was taken care of, but they didn't necessarily want to be the ones who were doing the "taking care of".

This is a bit "tin-foil", granted, but there may be at least a kernel of truth in there somewhere.

I'm not sure about that, considering that Sabean when it comes to big money moves often makes questionable decisions.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As for what their offer was, it was reported that they were at 5/95, but were willing to go higher.

There was obviously a LOT going on that was not reported (Giants didn't want him? He didn't want the Giants?) and we will never know the whole story.

Makes perfect sense. I think the Giants knew he was enamored with the DH and had major concerns about weight/production but wanted to bolster bidding for him.

What I'm puzzled about still is if the Padres weren't offering more money than everyone else, how could they think he'd choose them over the Giants or the AL? I'm thinking this might have been a cheap look-at-me move by Preller.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes perfect sense. I think the Giants knew he was enamored with the DH and had major concerns about weight/production but wanted to bolster bidding for him.

What I'm puzzled about still is if the Padres weren't offering more money than everyone else, how could they think he'd choose them over the Giants or the AL? I'm thinking this might have been a cheap look-at-me move by Preller.

You don't know unless you ask. Also, it gets the Padres mentioned in talks for these guys. It slowly changes the image of the franchise.

I don't follow the NBA very closely at all, but I do listen to KNBR, and they cover the Warriors. The Warriors FO for the last few years have made a point of getting into talks with every big-name FA, even if they knew they had little-no chance of winning. They just wanted to make everyone know that they belonged at the big-boy table. And now they are firmly AT the big-boy table.

The Padres, right now, have a very respectable salary number, but they still have the reputation of a 30-40M team. They need to get people to realize that they are NOT a 30-40 M team, and that they are actually a 90-100M team. And that requires getting mentioned in rumors for big FAs, even if they ultimately lose out.

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 or 3 years would be a good move, but in today's MLB the contracts are too long and taking a chance on a fat ass, roid head out of the Bay area (home of the roid heads) is lunacy. Whoever gives him a 5 year contract should expect him to weigh 325lbs in spring training for the 2017 season.

I am sure Manny and Papi were/are as clean as a whistle.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't say they were.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This pisses me off! New Team, Pretty good contract and you come in looking like that! I know he was a "big" man to begin with but come on dude!

cmon-man.jpg

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You did not pull it out of your ass, buddy. You are right on the mark here. We know we do not have to overpay for superstars anymore as we have done in the past. We knew Pablo with is wink was a "gonner." We appreciate his contribution to our winning the championship but we would not bet the farm on him.

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps the Giants found the graph that predicts big free swingers decline swiftly after the age of 28.
Alas my searching skills prevent me from posting that.