• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Massacre at Colorado theater

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You see...I'm comfortable going to the movies still. I'm not comfortable going to midnight showings in insanely crowded theaters. I have enough anxiety issues around crowds. Heck, I go into a crowded place and the only thing I can think of is "if this place goes up in flames, would I be trampled?" ...I have a problem.

Well, with Pittsburgh's traditional fanbase, at least Penguin games are safe for you!

:drum:

But yeah, I completely agree. I don't like being crowded in either.

quoipourquoi

Did Not Fuck Leesha/Sarah
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You see...I'm comfortable going to the movies still. I'm not comfortable going to midnight showings in insanely crowded theaters.

If this happened, say, at The Avengers at the beginning of the Summer (before Spider-Man/Batman), I think it would hurt the box-office for the rest of the movies requiring midnight releases. But given that The Dark Knight Rises is the last major superhero movie for a while, I think the fear might dissipate for most people before the next major film gets affected.

And even then, the impact will only be felt on weekends with a major opener. I expect that anyone who was looking forward to the opening day of the new Jason Bourne movie will still go - just maybe not until the second week. The Watch might get fucked pretty hard though.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How badly is this going to hurt the movie industry, too? While I hardly think we are in for a rash of homicidal nutjobs, movie attendance is going to take a hit. In a not-so-great economy, encouraging people to stay at home and not spend money on entertainment is not going to help...

I gotta admit ...

I checked the stock price of netflix today

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this happened, say, at The Avengers at the beginning of the Summer (before Spider-Man/Batman), I think it would hurt the box-office for the rest of the movies requiring midnight releases. But given that The Dark Knight Rises is the last major superhero movie for a while, I think the fear might dissipate for most people before the next major film gets affected.

And even then, the impact will only be felt on weekends with a major opener. I expect that anyone who was looking forward to the opening day of the new Jason Bourne movie will still go - just maybe not until the second week. The Watch might get fucked pretty hard though.

The Watch getting fucked by this. Zoolander getting fucked by 9-11. Stiller just can't catch a break.
;)

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's not really any movie coming out in the near future that I'd like to go to a midnight release. The next Hunger Games is probably the closest, and that's next summer at the least.

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure it would have to be a midnight release or a superhero movie. You can do plenty of damage with a regular gun in a theater full of regular folks on a Friday night, regardless of whether it's 12 AM or 7 PM.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how flawed my logic is but I'd rather go to a super crowded theater then an empty one... if this shit happens, I want more bodies in there to lower the chance of a bullet finding ME. /shrug

Also, as a parent of a toddler myself, who the fuck brings a 3-month old baby to something like this in the first place? (read/heard about a baby/babies being shot unless I misread/misheard) :L

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how flawed my logic is but I'd rather go to a super crowded theater then an empty one... if this shit happens, I want more bodies in there to lower the chance of a bullet finding ME. /shrug

Also, as a parent of a toddler myself, who the fuck brings a 3-month old baby to something like this in the first place? (read/heard about a baby/babies being shot unless I misread/misheard) :L

I read the same thing. I would think the loud movie sound would hurt and/or damage the baby's young ears.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was my reaction too, although the doctor at the hospital I saw said he was unware of any children involved. However, it's not just to lose focus here: the real evil was holding that semi-automatic weapon, not the parents who probably couldn't get a babysitter at the last minute. It is silly for certain, but I doubt they thought "Damn, this may get deadly, better leave the baby at home!"

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colorado governor: At least 30 people are still hospitalized after shooting at theater, 11 of them in critical condition.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
holy fuck Im not asking people to stop their lives. but this is fucking idiotic to post. oh 3 hours past. Im not angry anymore GOTTA PARTY.... you can go party, you can live your life, you can laugh with your friends and go nuts but really dont be posting Im so angry and heart broken. then right after YAY LETS party in the next tweet when your a fucking celebrity. wow

6hr Kim Kardashian ‏@KimKardashian Just landed in Miami & heard the tragic news re the shooting in Aurora. This is so devastating& beyond words. Nothing is worth causing so much pain to so many people. I'm angry and heartbroken.

3 hr Kim Kardashian ‏@KimKardashian
Can't wait to see you!!!! RT @larsapippen: Partying tonight w/ my sis @KimKardashian!

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know why anyone would be afraid to goto the movies anymore. If you're going to let this stop you from going to the movies you might as well be afraid to goto work, school, parties, sporting events, concerts, church or pretty much anywhere in public. The unfortunate thing is it could happen just about anywhere.

I'm not really a big advocate for or against the death penalty but it's situations like these that remind me why we should have it and use it on rare occasions. Most of these guys go down shooting or they shoot themselves. The death penalty wouldn't do much to deter them. But this guy and the guy in Norway clearly wanted to live. I don't know if Colorado has it or not but assuming they don't, it might have been enough to stop him and the Norway dude.

Very sad situation. Countless people we dont know die every day but most of the time we just accept it because its natural causes or an accident. Its just a fact of life. But for someone to go on a rampage like this is absolutely mind boggling and unnecessary so of course people are going to be upset.

As for the girl who was at in Toronto for the shootings, that is crazy. Reminds me of something out of Final Destination or season 3 of LOST where death was going to find Charlie very soon 1 way or another.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nothing will stop me from going anywhere. not terrorist, not crazies, not fucking anything. can't live scared.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, I doubt I'll be sincerely worried going to a movie, but, I'll certainly think about the midnight premieres for a bit. I don't like the crowds to begin with. I was in those mega-theaters for the past couple I've been at...and I just donnnnn't like it. It's just a paranoia thing for the most part.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That was my reaction too, although the doctor at the hospital I saw said he was unware of any children involved. However, it's not just to lose focus here: the real evil was holding that semi-automatic weapon, not the parents who probably couldn't get a babysitter at the last minute. It is silly for certain, but I doubt they thought "Damn, this may get deadly, better leave the baby at home!"

Oh I agree. I just thought taking a 4 month old to the movies was odd. I'd just worry about its ears. For all I know the had them covered and one of the parents was prepared to leave if the baby seemed uncomfortable. Some parents may have left the baby at home.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I agree. I just thought taking a 4 month old to the movies was odd. I'd just worry about its ears. For all I know the had them covered and one of the parents was prepared to leave if the baby seemed uncomfortable. Some parents may have left the baby at home.

Yeah, they really pump up the volume in the action movies. Hurts MY ears.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another victim's name is announced. Rebecca Wingo, mother of two and waitress at Joe's Crab Shack.

161790_1260342114_643465790_n.jpg

458697_3565138288039_618524030_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
holy fuck Im not asking people to stop their lives. but this is fucking idiotic to post. oh 3 hours past. Im not angry anymore GOTTA PARTY.... you can go party, you can live your life, you can laugh with your friends and go nuts but really dont be posting Im so angry and heart broken. then right after YAY LETS party in the next tweet when your a fucking celebrity. wow

6hr Kim Kardashian ‏@KimKardashian Just landed in Miami & heard the tragic news re the shooting in Aurora. This is so devastating& beyond words. Nothing is worth causing so much pain to so many people. I'm angry and heartbroken.

3 hr Kim Kardashian ‏@KimKardashian
Can't wait to see you!!!! RT @larsapippen: Partying tonight w/ my sis @KimKardashian!

Why is this news? The Kardashians have absolutely zero talent. They don't act, sing or to be honest have any redeeming values. I have no idea why this family gets the attention they do. They only care about two things. One is bringing as much attention upon themselves as possible. Two is money. I have no problem with them capitalizing on their opportunities, I just don't understand why people buy their crap.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt McQuinn was one of the 12 killed in the mass shooting in Aurora.
McQuinn was attempting to provide cover for his girlfriend when he was hit

He saved Samantha Yowler's life, though she was hit by a bullet, Scott said. She is recovering at the hospital.

mcquinn-story.jpg

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John Thomas Larimer came from a military family; both his father and grandfather served in the U.S. Navy. Larimer himself was a Navy petty officer, third class, officials said. He was from Crystal Lake, Illinois. His unit belongs to U.S. Fleet Cyber Command/U.S. Tenth Fleet at Buckley Air Force Base, Colorado. He had served in the Navy about a year and was attached to a cryptology (information operations) unit. He had not seen combat, his father said. The Navy is preparing to render full military honors to Larimer. He was 27.

larimer.jpg