• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Massacre at Colorado theater

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jonathon T. Blunk, 26

Jon Blunk and Jansen Young (credit: Facebook)
Jonathan Blunk had high hopes for the future, with plans to re-enlist in the Navy and the goal of becoming a Navy SEAL.

The 26-year-old served three tours in the Persian Gulf and North Arabian Sea between 2004 and 2009, said close friend James Gill of Brighton, Colo.

“It was guts or glory for him,” Gill told The Associated Press. “It always surprised me that he didn’t serve in a situation more on the front line. He wanted to be a first responder on the front line.”

Blunk was also a certified firefighter and emergency medical technician, Gill added.

He died in the shooting Friday after throwing himself in front of friend Jansen Young and saving her life, she told the NBC “Today” show. He told her to stay down.

“That’s something he would do,” Gill said. “If he was going to choose a way to die, that’s how he wanted to go – defending someone from a (person) like that.”

Blunk, a 2004 graduate of Hug High School in Reno, Nev., most recently worked at a hardware store.

His estranged wife, Chantel Blunk, lives with their 4-year-old daughter and 2-year-old son in Sparks, Nev.

young-victim.jpg

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alexander C. Teves, 24

Alexander C. Teves (credit: Facebook)
Alexander C. Teves, 24, of Phoenix, earned a master’s degree in counseling psychology in June from University of Denver.

He was a lovable person who made friends quickly and had a lot of them, said his grandfather, Carlo Iacovelli of Barnegat, N.J.

As a boy, Teves moved from New Jersey to Phoenix with his parents. Iacovelli and his wife wintered there and spent a lot of time with him.

“He was what you might call an ideal grandson,” Iacovelli said. “He was a fun guy. He loved to eat.”

Teves was planning to become a psychiatrist, his grandfather said.

“He had a lot to look forward to,” Iacovelli said.

alex-teves-from-his-facebook-page.jpg

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jesse Childress
Air Force Staff Sgt. Jesse Childress was a reservist on active duty with 310 Force Support Squadron.

no photo

Jesse Childress was an Air Force cyber-systems operator based at Buckley Air Force Base in Aurora.

Air Force Capt. Andrew Williams described the 29-year-old from Thornton, Colo., as knowledgeable, experienced and respectful. “We’re going to miss him incredibly,” he said.

Tech Sgt. Alejandro Sanchez, a co-worker, told the AP that Childress was his good friend and they were on a bowling team together.

“He would help anyone and always was great for our Air Force unit,” he said.

Another co-worker, Ashley Wassinger, said Childress “was a great person fun to be with, always positive and laughing.”

“Really just an amazing person, and I am so lucky to have been his friend,” she said

no photo

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
120722071353-jesse-childress-co-victim-story-body.jpg

Jesse Childress was an Air Force cyber-systems operator based at Buckley Air Force Base in Aurora.

Air Force Capt. Andrew Williams described the 29-year-old from Thornton, Colo., as knowledgeable, experienced and respectful. “We’re going to miss him incredibly,” he said.

Tech Sgt. Alejandro Sanchez, a co-worker, told the AP that Childress was his good friend and they were on a bowling team together.

“He would help anyone and always was great for our Air Force unit,” he said.

Another co-worker, Ashley Wassinger, said Childress “was a great person fun to be with, always positive and laughing.”

“Really just an amazing person, and I am so lucky to have been his friend,” she said

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First time commenting on this on SportsHoopla, but wow. Fucking people... :L

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Veronica Moser-Sullivan, 6
Described as a "vibrant little girl," Veronica had just learned to swim and was "excited about life," her great-aunt said.

The girl's mother was critically injured at the movie theater, with wounds to the neck and abdomen, said Annie Dalton. "All she is asking about is her daughter."

"Her whole life has changed in a flash, for what? She still doesn't know her daughter is gone. Now our priority is to make sure that she survives this," Dalton said of Ashley Moser, 25.

Ashley Moser has just gotten into a licensed practical nurse program, Dalton told reporters. "Obviously, with this injury she not going to be able to start school like she planned. It's a dramatic change in everything."

Veronica was an only child.

veronica-moser-sullivan-the-sullivan-family.jpg

FUCK! FUCK! FUCK!

No punishment is enough for this asshole! I think it's time we step it up in that department. Obviously death and life in prison under the current conditions is not enough to deter this disgraces to the human race, because they keep happening. He should he cuffed to a tree and anyone who feels like it should be able to kick him in the balls, punch him in the face, spit on him etc. A more sophisticated form of torture would probably be more appropriate but it would be effective. Too bad it will never happen. Cruel and unusual punishment? You bet it is. That's the whole point.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last thing I would have been reaching for is my cell phone. I would have been reaching for my Glock 19 and hoping I could drop the guy in his tracks. It would have been a difficult thing to do considering body armor and a AR15 as his primary weapon. If I was there though in order to protect my family I would have threw them to the ground and moved away from them a bit and open up on him. I would rather go down with a fight rather than sit on the floor hoping he looks in another direction.

Just a terrible situation. RIP for the lost.

You know when I read some news stories where bad things like this happen I like to think and hope that I would have done something to help end it or help protect other people. I am sure a lot of us feel that way. I like to think that but honestly I do not know how I would react in a situation like that and I hope I never find out.

In this situation I do not think very many people could have made a difference. There was a huge element of surprise which occurred according to some reports during an on screen gun fight so that had to be confusing. Factor in the loud movie sounds, the tear gas, and the panicked crowd and I wonder if someone else armed in the theater would have done more damage instead of helping.

I am not doubting you in particular, just doubting how I think anyone in that exact situation would have fared.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After reading the last 2 posts, I couldn't help but think of this. It's hard to say how one would react unless in that situation, but hopefully not many would do something like this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"oh yeah, well the Jerk Store called and they're running out of you!"

actually, a very well written piece by Jason Alexander.
Jason Alexander’s amazing gun rant - Salon.com

I'm not saying the entire piece is faulty because he didn't check his facts - I'm pretty much in agreement with the guy that folks don't need assault rifles - but 100,000 Americans die each year to guns? I don't think so. It's about 30,000 a year, and more than half of those are suicides, where the type of gun doesn't really matter.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In this situation I do not think very many people could have made a difference. There was a huge element of surprise which occurred according to some reports during an on screen gun fight so that had to be confusing. Factor in the loud movie sounds, the tear gas, and the panicked crowd and I wonder if someone else armed in the theater would have done more damage instead of helping.

i had a friend of mine sum it up pretty well on the ol' Facebook...
I would like to address all of the concealed carry badasses who are using the Colorado theater shootings as a soapbox to advertise their "support" for Second Amendment rights: if you think that a packed, nearly pitch black movie theater filled with armed but untrained shooters all shooting into smoke and darkness at one idiot would have led to a better result than what actually happened, then you are....well...I have said enough. Jesus Christ.

BF4L

Bruins homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know when I read some news stories where bad things like this happen I like to think and hope that I would have done something to help end it or help protect other people. I am sure a lot of us feel that way. I like to think that but honestly I do not know how I would react in a situation like that and I hope I never find out.

I am not doubting you in particular, just doubting how I think anyone in that exact situation would have fared.

Totally fair and accurate. It was chaos inside that theater for sure. It was not tear gas though it was a smoke grenade which still is chemical and obviously causes a problem. I am one of those people that scan a entire area when I arrive..I look for all exit doors and all aspects of the room. Just my nature...my wife says I am strange (no kidding :P) I do have a permit to conceal and carry a weapon and more often than not I am armed. Your point about causing more injury is very good though. I practice at range around 3 times a week. From 25 yds I hit what I aim for with no trouble but reaching out past that with a handgun is much harder. I would take that into consideration if I happened to be there. I would not just draw and start popping off rounds in the hope I would hit him. I would be equally worried about missing and my bullet killing someone.

The next issue is he had body armor. I carry hollow point ammo which can penetrate body armor but not on average. It most likely would hurt like hell to him when hit but probably not kill him. All things to consider and in that flash of a moment who knows what would happen. I just would not wish to be the guy laying on my kids hoping he went elsewhere.

BF4L

Bruins homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i had a friend of mine sum it up pretty well on the ol' Facebook...

I would like to address all of the concealed carry badasses who are using the Colorado theater shootings as a soapbox to advertise their "support" for Second Amendment rights: if you think that a packed, nearly pitch black movie theater filled with armed but untrained shooters all shooting into smoke and darkness at one idiot would have led to a better result than what actually happened, then you are....well...I have said enough. Jesus Christ.

I am trained and do carry. I also do not think I am a badass about it.

Pro gun people are upset because the anti gun people will use this as a soapbox to further reach out and strip our rights.

I dont wish to get into a political debate about this terrible tragedy though so I will leave it at that.

Last edited by a moderator:

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am trained and do carry. I also do not think I am a badass about it.

Pro gun people are upset because the anti gun people will use this as a soapbox to further reach out and strip our rights.

Pretty sure my friend doesnt know you and wasn't speaking to you directly. Although youve admitted having illegal guns, illegal ammo, and that you conceal/carry at times without a permit, so you may not be a "bad ass," but you certainly seem to think the law doesn't apply to you.

You want to defend your home, fine. I take issue with you making those other choices. They are crimes. And while you might take target practice, they do indicate a certain arrogance that makes anti-gun people like myself justifiably uncomfortable.

BF4L

Bruins homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure my friend doesnt know you and wasn't speaking to you directly. Although youve admitted having illegal guns, illegal ammo, and that you conceal/carry at times without a permit, so you may not be a "bad ass," but you certainly seem to think the law doesn't apply to you.

You want to defend your home, fine. I take issue with you making those other choices. They are crimes. And while you might take target practice, they do indicate a certain arrogance that makes anti-gun people like myself justifiably uncomfortable.

You are crazy. I conceal carry just about all the time and well dah I have a permit. they last for 3 years and you renew. Any LE person can run that check in about 12 seconds even if I do not have the permit on my person..which is rare. Illegal guns? Illegal ammo? You are once again mistaken. I have perfectly legal weapons I just make sure that I know the laws pertaining to said weapons. For instance: In Ma you cannot have a High Capacity weapon of any kind. High Capacity being 10 rounds or more. I carry a Glock 19 with a 15 round mag. it was made in 1993 which qualifies as PRE BAN. thus completely legal. You may consider that illegal but blah to that. The Chief of Police in my town and I have shot my gun on more then one occasion. I know the laws better than he does. Most LE people check to see if your permit is active and move on. They know they do not know all the laws because of the constant changes due to incidents like this and people like you.

On target practice: Yes on some trips I just plain old shoot at targets for fun but on a lot I practice situations. I practice right and left handed 1 hand 2 hand. I practice drawing weapon fully loaded and also without one in the tube.

I enjoy it very much and safety is always #1 in my mind.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are crazy. I conceal carry just about all the time and well dah I have a permit. they last for 3 years and you renew. Any LE person can run that check in about 12 seconds even if I do not have the permit on my person..which is rare. Illegal guns? Illegal ammo? You are once again mistaken. I have perfectly legal weapons I just make sure that I know the laws pertaining to said weapons. For instance: In Ma you cannot have a High Capacity weapon of any kind. High Capacity being 10 rounds or more. I carry a Glock 19 with a 15 round mag. it was made in 1993 which qualifies as PRE BAN. thus completely legal. You may consider that illegal but blah to that. The Chief of Police in my town and I have shot my gun on more then one occasion. I know the laws better than he does. Most LE people check to see if your permit is active and move on. They know they do not know all the laws because of the constant changes due to incidents like this and people like you.

I just totally misread your post above on conceal and carry. I jumbled the words and read it wrong. Temporary dyslexia. My apologies.

I thought you had posted before you had some guns that weren't by own words "legal" and you had said you couldn't elaborate on it. And I thought hollow points were illegal. So that is where the other stuff came from.

BF4L

Bruins homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just totally misread your post above on conceal and carry. I jumbled the words and read it wrong. Temporary dyslexia. My apologies.

I thought you had posted before you had some guns that weren't by own words "legal" and you had said you couldn't elaborate on it. And I thought hollow points were illegal. So that is where the other stuff came from.

I may have posted some guns I have are not "legal" by the defination of the new laws but they are preban so thus still legal.. I would not risk 10 years in jail and or my family to have a fully automatic rifle...They are illegal

You can buy Hollow point ammo at just about every Walmart in my state. In any case thanks for the apology.

Indian Chief

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying the entire piece is faulty because he didn't check his facts - I'm pretty much in agreement with the guy that folks don't need assault rifles - but 100,000 Americans die each year to guns? I don't think so. It's about 30,000 a year, and more than half of those are suicides, where the type of gun doesn't really matter.

Yeah, that was one thing that really jumped out at me as being self-serving to his point.

I really don't want to get into a political debate, but while he does bring an important issue to the forefront there are a lot of holes in that argument.

BigBlueNation111

Let The Games Begin!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whats that old saying? The guns(bullets)dont kill..we do.At the end of the day we make our choices.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"oh yeah, well the Jerk Store called and they're running out of you!"

actually, a very well written piece by Jason Alexander.
Jason Alexander’s amazing gun rant - Salon.com

agree w/ him 100%

one person should not be able to control an entire room with a weapon.. aka, no automatic guns, no guns with large magazines, etc.

there's just no reason to have those weapons.

and to those that want to defend the country from the corrupt govt with your assault rifle, if the military decides in favor of the govt, the people wont stand a chance. your assault rifle against their tanks and F-16s? good luck.