• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Malaysian Airline Shot Down in Ukraine

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Holy shit.

Last edited by a moderator:

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IEV, Ukraine (AP) — A Ukrainian official said a Malaysian passenger plane carrying 295 people was shot down Thursday over a town in the east of the country.

Anton Gerashenko, an adviser to Ukraine's Interior Minister, said on his Facebook page the plane was flying at an altitude of 10,000 meters (33,000 feet) when it was hit by a missile fired from a Buk launcher. A similar launcher was seen by Associated Press journalists near the eastern Ukrainian town of Snizhne earlier Thursday.

Malaysia Airlines said on its Twitter feed that it "has lost contact of MH17 from Amsterdam. The last known position was over Ukrainian airspace. More details to follow."

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chatter heard: the plane was too high for it to be a shoulder held missile, had to be ground to air. Apparently the separatist groups (pro-Russian Ukrainians) have these, so that makes sense. But if Russia backed this, it's an act of war.

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
depositphotos_12095209-Buk-M-mobile-anti-air-missile-launcher.jpg

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russia be a fucked up place. word is that it was shot down, other is that it just crashed. I bet we never know. Russia would cover up shooting down a passenger plane faster than the world could ever know. deny deny deny

this world drives me fucking nuts

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depending on the model the BUK can go to altitudes of 36,000 feet to 82,000 feet

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russia be a fucked up place. word is that it was shot down, other is that it just crashed. I bet we never know. Russia would cover up shooting down a passenger plane faster than the world could ever know. deny deny deny

this world drives me fucking nuts

If it's a ground to air missile they can apparently figure it out. And that whole black box thing. The black box will at least allow understanding if it originated in the plane or outside of the plane. Now, finding out who was behind it? That's a whole 'nother story. I mean, we're talking about a PASSENGER plane being shot down. If that's in any way backed by a government, it's an act of war. The flight was from Amsterdam to somewhere in eastern Asia (can't recall the city). I highly doubt there was a reason for this outside of "LOOK AT US! WE HAVE POWER". That or it was an accident.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tragedy no doubt...who would fly over a war torn region for any reason?

Happens all the time. Passenger airlines fly at high altitudes over dangerous regions, generally it's not an issue. Unless there's a no-fly zone, it's allowed and occurs.

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An Associated Press reporter on Thursday saw seven rebel-owned tanks parked at a gas station outside the eastern Ukrainian town of Snizhne. In the town, he also observed a Buk missile system, which can fire missiles up to an altitude of 22,000 meters (72,000 feet).

So, yes, the rebels do have a BUK missile system.

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ahhhhhhk, I am in the hockey forum!!!!!!! Normally I don't post here. I just assumed this was the politics forum.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happens all the time. Passenger airlines fly at high altitudes over dangerous regions, generally it's not an issue. Unless there's a no-fly zone, it's allowed and occurs.

Now knowing that there are missiles that could potentially reach the normal airline flying altitudes? I know it is easy to second guess now that a tragedy has happened, but jeezzzuz.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it's a ground to air missile they can apparently figure it out. And that whole black box thing. The black box will at least allow understanding if it originated in the plane or outside of the plane. Now, finding out who was behind it? That's a whole 'nother story. I mean, we're talking about a PASSENGER plane being shot down. If that's in any way backed by a government, it's an act of war. The flight was from Amsterdam to somewhere in eastern Asia (can't recall the city). I highly doubt there was a reason for this outside of "LOOK AT US! WE HAVE POWER". That or it was an accident.

yeah thats what I mean. about deny.

also it is possible they thought it was a military plane. there is nothing of recent that shows the russians or the rebels have any form of organization in how they are running this conflict.

When I used to fly to India for business, the map on the plane showed our path flying over Iraq, Iran, Pakistan, and close to the Afghanistan border, it always gave me chills and I generally ordered a stiff drink at that time. This world sucks at times and this is one of them

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ahhhhhhk, I am in the hockey forum!!!!!!! Normally I don't post here. I just assumed this was the politics forum.

We recommend citrus to wash off the stench. Unfortunately, the feeling of crippling insecurity never goes away.

WELCOME!

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the headlines it looks like the Ukranians claimed several hours ago they shot down a Russian fighter jet, but not a half hour ago it's all talking about a passenger plane being shot down.

Mistaken identity?

This is just TERRIBLE for the poor passengers of that plane.

Note to self: Never fly from Malaysia or anywhere near Russia.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God damned Ukrainians.

Welp, off to find out my cousin's flight plans. She was returning to Malaysia today from England.