• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Oregon Trying To Kill Their Players

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's that special kind of stupid that people come across every once in a while.

I was watching Washington football games when Jim Owens was the HC. That was before Don James time at Washington.

Lambright was 72 years old and already in the stages of Alzheimers when he got that charge.

As far as Don James goes ...

FOOTBALL; Huskies' Don James Quits Over Penalties
Then what's your excuse for act like a 12 year old that just found the internet is a thing? Early onset senility?

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon lawyers: so you were working out and had every opportunity to take breaks and get rest and get water but you chose not to and told the staff you were ok and kept pushing yourself and you ended up in the hospital?
Oregon players: yes
Oregon lawyers: ...

Thats just to say if they even do sue. Unless they plan on transfering to play somewhere else seems like its a quick way to end your playing career.
The suspension of the Oregon coach made any claims against Oregon by those players a cakewalk. It's an admission of guilt .. plain and simple.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, you've already posted that. Do YOU have Alzheimer's? You seem to be saying the same thing over and over like you forgot.
Not the same story. That writer has his own take on it. I have yet to see one single Oregon poster on here go to bat for those three kids that ended up hospitalized. Not surprised in the least tbh.

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't said one way or the other. IMO Both sides are at fault the Coaches should've gone slower to start, but the kids should've taken the rest when they needed and not buckled to peer pressure. However, the middle road isn't possible looking thru you purple stained glasses, now is it?

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't said one way or the other. IMO Both sides are at fault the Coaches should've gone slower to start, but the kids should've taken the rest when they needed and not buckled to peer pressure. However, the middle road isn't possible looking thru you purple stained glasses, now is it?
It's at least 5 kids that suffered. The coaches are supposed to prevent the kids from hurting themselves. And they failed to do so. They suspended the S/C coach and changed their routine. I'd say that's a pretty solid admission of culpability from that department. That's really all I called for to begin with. I do think there could be a lawsuit coming, but that's just a money thing.

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's at least 5 kids that suffered. The coaches are supposed to prevent the kids from hurting themselves. And they failed to do so. They suspended the S/C coach and changed their routine. I'd say that's a pretty solid admission of culpability from that department. That's really all I called for to begin with. I do think there could be a lawsuit coming, but that's just a money thing.
I agree the coaches take most of the blame, but there is such a thing as personal responsibility. People blaming others for the shit they should've know better not to do is a big reason many of the more recent generations are divas and act so entitled. I'm sure the trainers were telling the players repeatedly to hydrate and take breaks if they needed to, the kids not listening to the warning signs their body was telling them is on them. Those sort of things aren't always visible which is exactly why trainers tell athletes to take breaks if their body needs it. There are a plethora of examples across sports of kids pushing themselves too hard and ending up injured, sometimes permanently. Coaches can't save a player from his own mistakes.

jon2tanman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,129.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The whoregon hipster douchbags are just afraid of being the old ducks again. Get used to a shit football team for another century.

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree the coaches take most of the blame, but there is such a thing as personal responsibility. People blaming others for the shit they should've know better not to do is a big reason many of the more recent generations are divas and act so entitled. I'm sure the trainers were telling the players repeatedly to hydrate and take breaks if they needed to, the kids not listening to the warning signs their body was telling them is on them. Those sort of things aren't always visible which is exactly why trainers tell athletes to take breaks if their body needs it. There are a plethora of examples across sports of kids pushing themselves too hard and ending up injured, sometimes permanently. Coaches can't save a player from his own mistakes.

Ya I call a little bullshit on "it's the kids fault for not taking breaks on their own" if this were the NFL then sure but as someone who played sports as a kid/young adult you didn't take a break unless you were directly told to, especially if you are in competition for a spot. Fair or not parents trust these coaches with the safety and well being of their children and these Oregon ones failed in this juncture. Thankfully, everyone seems to be recovering

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Friend of mine doesn't believe there are much for legal standings. suspension of the S&C coach was a token move.
but he did say he doesn't have all the facts.
for the record my friend is a lawyer for USC athletics department.

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya I call a little bullshit on "it's the kids fault for not taking breaks on their own" if this were the NFL then sure but as someone who played sports as a kid/young adult you didn't take a break unless you were directly told to, especially if you are in competition for a spot. Fair or not parents trust these coaches with the safety and well being of their children and these Oregon ones failed in this juncture. Thankfully, everyone seems to be recovering
I have a friend that swam competitively in high school. He was in the top 50 in the world for his event at 16. Unfortunately, he pushed himself so hard he injured his shoulder so bad he cold never swim in competition again. I've never once heard him blame his coach as he knew his shoulder was hurting and just tried to power through the pain. He even said his coach constantly told everyone if something didn't feel right get out of the pool and get checked. Yes, coaches need to be aware of the condition of their athletes, but they can only see so much. They can't feel what is going on in any individual's body, so unless they are told something is wrong they have no way to know.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The whoregon hipster douchbags are just afraid of being the old ducks again. Get used to a shit football team for another century.
seems like Washington fans got a taste of winning again and are afraid of other teams challenging them.

also note rivals can talk about other teams fans and teams with some degree of class without calling them names like 10 years olds.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a friend that swam competitively in high school. He was in the top 50 in the world for his event at 16. Unfortunately, he pushed himself so hard he injured his shoulder so bad he cold never swim in competition again. I've never once heard him blame his coach as he knew his shoulder was hurting and just tried to power through the pain. He even said his coach constantly told everyone if something didn't feel right get out of the pool and get checked. Yes, coaches need to be aware of the condition of their athletes, but they can only see so much. They can't feel what is going on in any individual's body, so unless they are told something is wrong they have no way to know.

Ours was always are you hurt or injured? if you are hurt get checked and get cleared. if you are injured get checked and sit down.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On whether or not the Ducks players can sue:

I don't think it's as open and shut as some think. I'm not a lawyer, don't play one on tv and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but...I would think that the players would have to prove that they were forbidden from or coerced out of taking breaks to rest and get water. I think that would be difficult to prove.

Having said that, if Oregon's coaches were smart, they should have had mandatory breaks. The coaches have to know that these guys are competitive and no one is going to want to be the first guy to have to take a break.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
also appears that based on the time of year these were not mandatory workouts.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, not in college. Pro football maybe, but not in school.

Oregon is a program in transition and one thought to be soft from their results last year. The kids are going to naturally try to work their asses off (literally) to change that. It is expected they will overdo the work. They want to win and want to win badly as well as impress the new staff. They have every incentive to not stop unless directed to do so.

If you read any of the articles on it, many point out the NCAA has rules and guidelines meant to prevent this and they were not followed. Not just breaks and hydration, but in their guideline it specifically states each student should be independently evaluated and a program put together targeted to each kids ability/needs. This was not done in this case which is why I believe there may be legal recourse. Failing to follow established NCAA guidelines leaves them open to further action.
seems like Washington fans got a taste of winning again and are afraid of other teams challenging them.
Ducks can't challenge anyone if they keep destroying the kidneys of their players. Don't see how UW fans pointing out duck fans not able to face reality is a sign of anything related to fear on the field. It's clearly just holding your fans accountable for their homer inconsistencies. Just wait until you guys even try the next time to bring up anything about UW when our fans actually call out our own staff if shit like this happens and your fans go into full denial and circle the wagon mode instantly. Keep defending the indefensible and projecting it as something else. Just more ammo for later.

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So if an 18 year old kid who has dreams of playing in the majors blows out his shoulder bc he throws too many pitches it is the kids fault and not the coach's? These s&c coaches and trainers at major universities are paid good money to identify how much is too much. Oregon claims to be too of the line in sports science so I think this is a completely preventable situation. I'm not calling for the death penalty of for anyone's job but I am also not buying it's the kids' fault. No way

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like Trumps first order of business this week should be ordering a congressional investigation into Oregons athletic dept.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if an 18 year old kid who has dreams of playing in the majors blows out his shoulder bc he throws too many pitches it is the kids fault and not the coach's? These s&c coaches and trainers at major universities are paid good money to identify how much is too much. Oregon claims to be too of the line in sports science so I think this is a completely preventable situation. I'm not calling for the death penalty of for anyone's job but I am also not buying it's the kids' fault. No way
I don't buy that its the coaches fault either though. this has never been an issue for him at other schools. he can only go based on what the players say. if they say they are ok and they aren't showing signs that they aren't which with rhabdo is common not to show till after the workout.