• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Options Options Options

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So does the Bears having traded for Allen now rule out taking a WR with the 9th pick?
With the DE/Edge spot opposite Sweat the only remaining glaring hole. should Poles focus on one of the top 3 in the draft at this position?
Are there enough starter-quality players still on the draft board if Poles decides to trade back on #9?
And (dreaded question time) with only 4 picks in this draft, is Poles considering trading the #1 pick?

The first two questions assumes Poles sticks with the 9th pick and who can blame him for hanging onto it. As incredibly tempting as it would be if someone the likes of Nabers or Odunze were to somehow still be there, I'm finding it hard to overlook the probability of going with one of those top DE/Edges, with the chances of all three still on the board not out of the question, but quite confident that at least two of them will be. Not can we rule out Poles going OL, being that some seriously talented linemen will still be there at 9 as well. Probably not Alt, but a decent chance for the others to be there.

Then there are the trade scenarios. I'll save this for a follow up post.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So does the Bears having traded for Allen now rule out taking a WR with the 9th pick?

Then there are the trade scenarios. I'll save this for a follow up post.
One has to think with the way Poles normally loves having a bundle of draft picks and at the moment only possessing four of them - and fortunately two of those four are early 1st rounders - that a trade using at least one of these four could very well be on his agenda. Obviously the best bang for the buck will be the #1, but just about every indication suggests he's going to use it on Williams. So naturally, this makes #9 the one with the next best banger.

The big Q tho is which team would be most interested in trading up for the 9th pick. I think it's fair to guess that those wanting to draft a QB would be the most ready candidates, altho who knows which player/position might still be on the board and could trigger a trade up. Most projections have a max of 4 QBs taken by the time the 9th slot rolls around. Michael Penix, Jr and Bo Nix will likely be available. That could definitely stir some interest with a QB needy club. Which team is that and how far back would Poles be willing to trade back is its own subject for another post.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the flip side to trading the #9 pick, which is keeping it. If there's a player high up on Poles BPA board and he's still there at 9, why take chances? None of us have any idea where specific players rank on his board, so rather than trying to guess, I'm just gonna come up with four names that as an armchair GM, would make me strongly consider hanging onto the pick and selecting one of them:

On offense:
Rome Odunze
Malik Nabers

On defense:
Dallas Turner
Jared Verse

(Honorable mention: Laiatu Latu)

Might seem strange now that we traded for Allen and re-upped Pettis, which somewhat fills our WR room. But Pettis was likely signed primarily for ST action and Allen should be pretty much utilized in the slot, leaving a spot open for a true X wideout, and Odunze and Nabers are perfect matches for this. Assuming there has been no update to the DE/Edge by the draft, then I can see Poles having both of these players ranked high on his board. I see the faster and athletically gifted Turner as the one more likely to register sacks and QB hits/hurries. But Verse is super balanced and is equally adept at playing the the run as well as getting after the QB, plus he has more experience playing with his hand in the dirt.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the flip side to trading the #9 pick, which is keeping it. If there's a player high up on Poles BPA board and he's still there at 9, why take chances? None of us have any idea where specific players rank on his board, so rather than trying to guess, I'm just gonna come up with four names that as an armchair GM, would make me strongly consider hanging onto the pick and selecting one of them:

On offense:
Rome Odunze
Malik Nabers

On defense:
Dallas Turner
Jared Verse

(Honorable mention: Laiatu Latu)

Might seem strange now that we traded for Allen and re-upped Pettis, which somewhat fills our WR room. But Pettis was likely signed primarily for ST action and Allen should be pretty much utilized in the slot, leaving a spot open for a true X wideout, and Odunze and Nabers are perfect matches for this. Assuming there has been no update to the DE/Edge by the draft, then I can see Poles having both of these players ranked high on his board. I see the faster and athletically gifted Turner as the one more likely to register sacks and QB hits/hurries. But Verse is super balanced and is equally adept at playing the the run as well as getting after the QB, plus he has more experience playing with his hand in the dirt.

Not sure wr is on the list anymore,ESB could be resigned as our 3rd,but just for the hell of it say at 9 we did get one of those top 3 wrs,it would make for one helluva rotation .....Not only a longterm solution over Keenan,but to actually prolong Keenans durabilty.......

But damn,to have Turner ir Verse would be hiuge,not too mention its a need.

Its a great situation to be in......

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure wr is on the list anymore,ESB could be resigned as our 3rd,but just for the hell of it say at 9 we did get one of those top 3 wrs,it would make for one helluva rotation .....Not only a longterm solution over Keenan,but to actually prolong Keenans durabilty.......

But damn,to have Turner ir Verse would be hiuge,not too mention its a need.

Its a great situation to be in......
Same here, I'm also not sure. But those two receivers are so friggin talented that I think Poles would give strong consideration to hold onto the pick. And let's keep in mind that even tho the chances are pretty good the Bears will extend Allen, it's not written in stone, and at this point he's technically a rental. But also ponder this: DJ Moore, Keenan Allen, Odunze/Nabers lined up together. Frightening.....for opposing defenses.

Now for Turner/Verse, if the draft was right at this moment, I'd probably be leaning on taking either of these two, with perhaps Turner being first amongst equals. A sub-option here is seeking a trade back to no later than the mid teens, with one of them still on the board. I'd even throw in Latu for this scenario.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Justin is gone...to the Steelers for a 6th rounder...

...Can bump up to a 4th rounder if he plays a decent amount.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'll probably go to my grave thinking Poles got jobbed big time for this, but at least we can put all the drama behind us and move forward. Time to drink from the glass that's half full!

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wow......just now seen that.....

A little too low for my liking,but hey,we can finally concentrate on the 9th pick.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last season I would’ve thought our weaknesses were QB, OL, DE, and WR. We got Bates and Coleman for the Oline, and Allen for WR. The ninth pick could still be anybody. Another WR or olineman to beef up the offense more. A tackle would give us potential to have an elite oline. A WR or TE could give us elite pass catchers. A DE could made our DLine legit. I want odunze or nabors. I think Poles will go oline or trade back. I wouldn’t be mad with DE, but I think that pick should be offense.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, one option that we can now firmly remove from the pile is how we handle Justin Fields. While I think this all but eliminates any other option aside from taking Caleb Williams with the #1 pick, I suppose we can't completely rule out trading it back for more draft capital. What should completely shut the door on any such rumors in the coming days is how Williams performs in his pro day (March 20th) and subsequent follow up interview. Until then I guess I'll leave that door open, but just a sliver.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last season I would’ve thought our weaknesses were QB, OL, DE, and WR. We got Bates and Coleman for the Oline, and Allen for WR. The ninth pick could still be anybody. Another WR or olineman to beef up the offense more. A tackle would give us potential to have an elite oline. A WR or TE could give us elite pass catchers. A DE could made our DLine legit. I want odunze or nabors. I think Poles will go oline or trade back. I wouldn’t be mad with DE, but I think that pick should be offense.
I'm half with you. If either Odunze or Nabers is there at #9, I've said I'd be fine with Poles snatching either one. But if both are gone, I'd prefer that he then uses the pick on the DE/Edge position, preferably Turner or Verse. It's not that we don't need to strengthen our OL, no argument there. It's just I don't see as glaring a need for the OL as I do filling that other DE/Edge spot opposite Sweat.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm half with you. If either Odunze or Nabers is there at #9, I've said I'd be fine with Poles snatching either one. But if both are gone, I'd prefer that he then uses the pick on the DE/Edge position, preferably Turner or Verse. It's not that we don't need to strengthen our OL, no argument there. It's just I don't see as glaring a need for the OL as I do filling that other DE/Edge spot opposite Sweat.
Yeah. If they take a tackle, it’ll solidify the oline for several years if the guards can stay healthy. You take a tackle this year and you don’t need to draft offense early for a while. I wouldn’t be mad at a DE though. I get it makes the defense stronger. I think you should do anything you can to help CW his rookie year though. And a stud LT does more than a stud DE. And Poles likes offensive line, so I could see it happening, even with a wr on the board.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah. If they take a tackle, it’ll solidify the oline for several years if the guards can stay healthy. You take a tackle this year and you don’t need to draft offense early for a while. I wouldn’t be mad at a DE though. I get it makes the defense stronger. I think you should do anything you can to help CW his rookie year though. And a stud LT does more than a stud DE. And Poles likes offensive line, so I could see it happening, even with a wr on the board.

Hmmmmmm,still tslking wr........
KA iis short term,we all know that,getting another in one of the rooks would be sweet as hell.......or as you both say an olineman........??

Setting up CW is the way to go.....lets get that offenssive juggernaut into place and work on that defense with top tier picks starting next season........

Our def can be good to great vs a favorable schedule again just like last season.......I like the idea of that......

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One has to think with the way Poles normally loves having a bundle of draft picks and at the moment only possessing four of them - and fortunately two of those four are early 1st rounders - that a trade using at least one of these four could very well be on his agenda. Obviously the best bang for the buck will be the #1, but just about every indication suggests he's going to use it on Williams. So naturally, this makes #9 the one with the next best banger.

The big Q tho is which team would be most interested in trading up for the 9th pick. I think it's fair to guess that those wanting to draft a QB would be the most ready candidates, altho who knows which player/position might still be on the board and could trigger a trade up. Most projections have a max of 4 QBs taken by the time the 9th slot rolls around. Michael Penix, Jr and Bo Nix will likely be available. That could definitely stir some interest with a QB needy club. Which team is that and how far back would Poles be willing to trade back is its own subject for another post.
All I know is - Poles really can't say he's the guy who builds through the draft, after all of this.

Pace said the same thing coming in. Most guys do. Then, I feel like you get into the job and what made sense to you in theory goes out the window. "Ooh! I can have a shiny new toy? It's that easy? Chase Claypool! 6'4 prototype WR and talented. I'll take that. Montez Sweat!? WOW! Give me that. Keenan Allen!? WHOA! YES, PLEASE! Interior Oline help? Well, while I'm here shopping - why not? Give me that kid I liked last year in free agency from Buffalo!"

Next thing you know? You're like me after a drunken weekend getaway. Dreading opening up your financial apps to assess the damage. "I spent how much!? I said I wasn't even going to stay out that night. JESUS!"

Ryan Poles is just like us, guys. "I only have HOW MANY draft picks left? JESUS! That escalated quickly!"

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmmmmm,still tslking wr........
KA iis short term,we all know that,getting another in one of the rooks would be sweet as hell.......or as you both say an olineman........??

Setting up CW is the way to go.....lets get that offenssive juggernaut into place and work on that defense with top tier picks starting next season........

Our def can be good to great vs a favorable schedule again just like last season.......I like the idea of that......
You seem to keep forgetting who we have after Moore & Allen. We're about as paper thin in talent as a team gets after those two. We may no longer need to use our 9th pick on a receiver, but the position still needs to be addressed. And if by some wacky scenario either Odunze or Nabers is still there at 9, which I doubt, and for whatever reasons Poles doesn't trade back on the pick, I'd be more than happy if he took either ot them.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You seem to keep forgetting who we have after Moore & Allen. We're about as paper thin in talent as a team gets after those two. We may no longer need to use our 9th pick on a receiver, but the position still needs to be addressed. And if by some wacky scenario either Odunze or Nabers is still there at 9, which I doubt, and for whatever reasons Poles doesn't trade back on the pick, I'd be more than happy if he took either ot them.

No I have not forgot,just figured ESB may be in order for another year.....
Just kinda thought at 9 hopefull it goes to trench,but not saying that I would becstatic if Odunze or Nabers was taken there.....
It would make a fine rotation of 3 wrs.....mighty fine.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I have not forgot,just figured ESB may be in order for another year.....
Just kinda thought at 9 hopefull it goes to trench,but not saying that I would becstatic if Odunze or Nabers was taken there.....
It would make a fine rotation of 3 wrs.....mighty fine.
Pretty much my exact feelings. You can never go wrong drafting in the trenches. Never. But no doubt we still remain super thin at WR once we get past our top two guns. We only have 4 picks at this point, but I'm nonetheless super excited about this upcoming draft, with naturally an emphasis on day one! :peace:

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much my exact feelings. You can never go wrong drafting in the trenches. Never. But no doubt we still remain super thin at WR once we get past our top two guns. We only have 4 picks at this point, but I'm nonetheless super excited about this upcoming draft, with naturally an emphasis on day one! :peace:

Day 1 is gonna be fun......

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hunter Renfrow.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lmao. More WRs needed ASAP!

Wall to wall WRs needed on this team! Can't have too many. W/out WRs of course your team is shit. Imagine a team with 70 WRs, how on earth will the defense stop all 70 WRs. LSD, the board moron, knows what's up and has broken the NFL! He found the cheat code! Thank goodness he is on our side

*fart*