• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL Thread Part IV - A New Hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard about that guy, think he goes to the Rangers. I figure Vegas shies away from guys in their mid 30's.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pleased with this move. Should crack the lineup, even if it's as a bottom pairing guy.

Yeah that is a good signing. I see no reason why he could not compete with the group.
Worst case he is brings the competition up into Training Camp, don't think that Strait or Dyblenko have a shot as much at Butcher does.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah that is a good signing. I see no reason why he could not compete with the group.
Worst case he is brings the competition up into Training Camp, don't think that Strait or Dyblenko have a shot as much at Butcher does.

Pretty much. If nothing else i t forces guys to step it up.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If im chris lee i probably just not risk catching on with an nhl team as a 8th dman and just go play in the olympics. Its gonna be a crap tournie so maybe he gets a medal the easy way :noidea: he should think like OV :whistle:

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are the Colorado Avalanche getting closer to trading Matt Duchene?

Duchene might get traded!

TSN’s Darren Dreger was on WGR550 radio in Buffalo yesterday and he mentioned that it’s starting to sound as though trade talks are heating up again.

Fuck, nevermind. Sorry guys.

I just hope it is over soon. I am so sick of hearing his name around here.

The rumo(u)r is the Jackets offered Murray, Milano a first ('19) and a second ('18) and Joe said no. He allegedly wants Murray, Carlsson, Milano or Bjorkstrand. And the first.

Joe can fuck right off.

Considering how much Joe has trashed Duchene in the past, the first offer was almost too much, IMO. It's value players for player. But when you keep saying the kid's a pain in the ass, his value goes down. If Carlsson or Bjorkstrand go in the deal, it's pitchforks time again.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, really think Sakic and the Avs take what they can get for Duchene right now. Don't want to have that distraction going into this season for them.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hope it is over soon. I am so sick of hearing his name around here.

The rumo(u)r is the Jackets offered Murray, Milano a first ('19) and a second ('18) and Joe said no. He allegedly wants Murray, Carlsson, Milano or Bjorkstrand. And the first.

Joe can fuck right off.

Considering how much Joe has trashed Duchene in the past, the first offer was almost too much, IMO. It's value players for player. But when you keep saying the kid's a pain in the ass, his value goes down. If Carlsson or Bjorkstrand go in the deal, it's pitchforks time again.
Has Sakic actually said anything negative about Duchene beyond something like “a fresh start would do us both good”? I can’t remember him actually saying anything bad about him.

Unless he's done that, a package of Murray, Carlsson/Bjorkstrand and a 1st sounds close to fair.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has Sakic actually said anything negative about Duchene beyond something like “a fresh start would do us both good”? I can’t remember him actually saying anything bad about him.

Unless he's done that, a package of Murray, Carlsson/Bjorkstrand and a 1st sounds close to fair.

Alexander Wennberg had 59 points last year, while Duchene only had 41. The Jackets don't need Duchene has much as Duchene needs them. Murray, Milano and the first or walk away. No need to give away the farm to get a guy who will slot into the depth chart behind a guy who will likely make half or slightly more than half once his bridge deal is done. Losing Bjorkstrand or Carlsson would hurt this team too much. Both would be downright retarded.

And Sakic did mutter some things about commitment and how Duchene didn't seem to have the heart to lead. Don't remember the exact words.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, really think Sakic and the Avs take what they can get for Duchene right now. Don't want to have that distraction going into this season for them.

I'd rather have that distraction than have traded away that distraction without getting a good return.

I don't think that rebuilding teams should be trading valuable pieces for whatever they can get based on people's feelings. That's generally a recipe for disaster, unless you win a lottery :wink:

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duchene currently has the same cap hit as Ryan Nothing-Happens and in my opinion, both players could use a fresh start. I think the Oilers would have to add some pieces to make a deal palatable for Sakic, but it could work.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alexander Wennberg had 59 points last year, while Duchene only had 41. The Jackets don't need Duchene has much as Duchene needs them. Murray, Milano and the first or walk away. No need to give away the farm to get a guy who will slot into the depth chart behind a guy who will likely make half or slightly more than half once his bridge deal is done. Losing Bjorkstrand or Carlsson would hurt this team too much. Both would be downright retarded.

And Sakic did mutter some things about commitment and how Duchene didn't seem to have the heart to lead. Don't remember the exact words.
Last year was rock bottom for the Avs as a whole. Every other season Duchene has hit 55 pts or higher and he's still only 26 years old. Not saying he's a blue chipper but saying Milano is expendable in a deal like that but other prospects of a similar level aren't is odd. No matter what CBJ is almost certainly getting the best player in the deal and considering some of their best players are UFA's in 2018 and 19 and they're unlikely to hold onto all of them (including Bobrov, who I'm assuming is going the Ben Bishop route considering they gave up a 1st to stop Vegas from taking Korpisalo) why risk missing out on this window because 1 prospect might be slightly better than the guy you're getting back?

Also, not sure why Wennberg would sign a cheap bridge. I think he compares well with Drouin who just signed a 5 year deal at $5.5 shmil per. Guess it's possible but it goes against what's been happening in the league lately.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duchene currently has the same cap hit as Ryan Nothing-Happens and in my opinion, both players could use a fresh start. I think the Oilers would have to add some pieces to make a deal palatable for Sakic, but it could work.
Thing is, I don't think Edmonton has or can give the pieces Sakic would want other than RNH.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thing is, I don't think Edmonton has or can give the pieces Sakic would want other than RNH.

Yeah, the other factor is that Duchene's contract ends in two seasons and you have to think he'll be looking for close to Draisaitl money at that time, I don't think Edmonton could fit him under the cap with Talbot looking for a significant raise in the not too distant future as well.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the other factor is that Duchene's contract ends in two seasons and you have to think he'll be looking for close to Draisaitl money at that time, I don't think Edmonton could fit him under the cap with Talbot looking for a significant raise in the not too distant future as well.
Well, like CBJ they've gotta figure out if they're contenders today and therefore it's worth the future uncertainty for an instant upgrade or if they think they'll be contenders long-term and it's worth giving it another go with this core.

For me, the problems 3 or 4 years down the road aren't guaranteed to be my problems anyway and banners hang forever so why the hell not just pull the damn trigger if the deal makes sense in the here and now? Nobody's doing cap homework or thinking about prospects during the Cup parade.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Honestly, I'd prefer Nuge. I think he'd be cheaper to acquire and would be more likely to accept a 2C/3C role.

Last year was rock bottom for the Avs as a whole. Every other season Duchene has hit 55 pts or higher and he's still only 26 years old. Not saying he's a blue chipper but saying Milano is expendable in a deal like that but other prospects of a similar level aren't is odd. No matter what CBJ is almost certainly getting the best player in the deal and considering some of their best players are UFA's in 2018 and 19 and they're unlikely to hold onto all of them (including Bobrov, who I'm assuming is going the Ben Bishop route considering they gave up a 1st to stop Vegas from taking Korpisalo) why risk missing out on this window because 1 prospect might be slightly better than the guy you're getting back?

Also, not sure why Wennberg would sign a cheap bridge. I think he compares well with Drouin who just signed a 5 year deal at $5.5 shmil per. Guess it's possible but it goes against what's been happening in the league lately.

Blue Jackets history is why he'd do the bridge. I expect about 4-4.5. The Jackets simply do not unload for young guys heading to RFA. They give them the "show me or blow me" deal. Wennberg doesn't seem the type to threaten to sit like Johansen did. I think he'll sign a 3 year deal. And he will make them pay at the end of it.

It's a long rental, and unless he wins a Richard in that two years, it's only a rental. Jackets would not break the bank to keep him, not at Draisaitl money, unless he blew the league up. And I don't know if he's got that in him.

Well, like CBJ they've gotta figure out if they're contenders today and therefore it's worth the future uncertainty for an instant upgrade or if they think they'll be contenders long-term and it's worth giving it another go with this core.

For me, the problems 3 or 4 years down the road aren't guaranteed to be my problems anyway and banners hang forever so why the hell not just pull the damn trigger if the deal makes sense in the here and now? Nobody's doing cap homework or thinking about prospects during the Cup parade.

I think the Jackets feel they are a strong team in a strong division, and I don't think they are foolish enough to be in win now mode. The Jackets with Carlsson and Bjorkstrand are a lot stronger team in five years than they are without them. Duchene or not. Yeah, they could take a swing now. But they have to believe they could get 3 or 4 bites at it. We want to be Pittsburgh, not Carolina.

And I wouldn't even be in the Duchene camp (and especially not willing to part with Murray) if not for the fact that they got Panarin. Duchene (or Nuge) gives the Jackets a shot at two legit lines of snipers. Something they've never had.

Atkinson - Wennberg - Panarin
Bjorkstrand - Nuge/Duche - Foligno (or PLD)

And then a grind line with Calvert/Foligno - Dubinsky - Jenner. Would be a damn hard team to play against.

Carlsson lessens the sting of losing Murray. Can't lose both. No way. Puts Jack Johnson out in too many important situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.