• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL Thread Part IV - A New Hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Jackets feel they are a strong team in a strong division, and I don't think they are foolish enough to be in win now mode.
They had the 4th best record in hockey last year, they have the reigning Vezina winner, they just traded for one of the top scorers in the league, they have a solid blue line, they’re spending near the cap with a bunch of vets on long-term deals and a number of their best players will be UFA in the next two years.

Maybe I’m missing something but if that’s not a win-now scenario what is?

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They had the 4th best record in hockey last year, they have the reigning Vezina winner, they just traded for one of the top scorers in the league, they have a solid blue line, they’re spending near the cap with a bunch of vets on long-term deals and a number of their best players will be UFA in the next two years.

Maybe I’m missing something but if that’s not a win-now scenario what is?

They can take a stab at win now. But they want to stay positioned to win right after that too. And the current roster is a lucky break (or a bad break for opponents) from contending as is. We almost got that break with Murray getting hurt, but we got bizzaro-Fleury.

And UFAs next year are Atkinson, Johnson and Calvert. Calvert and Johnson will be trade deadline fodder unless they sign cheap. Neither is needed. Atkinson could hurt. But he could also go at the deadline for quality too.

The year after is Bob and Panarin. Panarin has two years to earn stupid money, and he will. Bob will get paid handsomely. Another Vezina or two by then and he'll be top paid goalie in the league. Deservedly.

Right now, they are at 12.8m space (with Anderson and Wennberg to sign). If they let Calvert and Johnson go (without adding too much) they gain +/- 7m. And that's before cap goes up with all that Vegas money coming in... They shouldn't be painting themselves into a corner anytime soon.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought we did?

Yeah I was kind of unclear there, I was criticizing his challenging the buyout on those grounds in the first place. Although that's probably just the kind of thing where his lawyer kind of just tells him what he should do.

I suppose it's also possible that he has "healed" in the meantime. But I'm a little skeptical.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If healthy... why the fuck weren't we allowed to buy him out then?
Great question. I know he lawyer'ed up on the situation but in reality it was probably his agent doing this to protect him. In the end it didn't work out for him.

I think that's why he got no better than a PTO because I doubt he is healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.