• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL Thread Part IV - A New Hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. It was mostly in jest. However all three of those coaches got those increases over themselves. With the possible exception of Tortarella none of them really changed much about how they did things. They just had much better teams. Don't get me wrong, they're all deserving but I think talent had much more to do with their team's improvement than the coach did.
I think that every year. Shit, where are any of those teams without their new and/or improved goalies?

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at it, I just realized 6 of the 8 coaches in the second round of the playoffs were available (not coaching in the NHL or soon to be fired) during the time that Todd Richards was shitting the bed and we hired Torts.

dangit.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I miss Happy Marc.

i0DPO5Q.gif

Duke of Douchington

Needle Mover
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd have a lot more respect for these Russian guys sounding off like this if they did it while still in North America or to a Canadian/US paper. This running back to Russia to run your mouth doesn't sit well with me. I mean, Nikita could be right for all I know and maybe his teammates did quit on the team.

...Why does it matter where the information comes out? If you're talking to a publication, you know full well it's going online in an hour. Who cares if it's coming from the Moose Jaw Tribune or the Moscow Sun?

Duke of Douchington

Needle Mover
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at it, I just realized 6 of the 8 coaches in the second round of the playoffs were available (not coaching in the NHL or soon to be fired) during the time that Todd Richards was shitting the bed and we hired Torts.

dangit.

Torts got you the best season in franchise history...is that bad?

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...Why does it matter where the information comes out? If you're talking to a publication, you know full well it's going online in an hour. Who cares if it's coming from the Moose Jaw Tribune or the Moscow Sun?

It matters because the questions and answers are provided in Russian and it gives the player a pretty easy out that the answers given were incorrectly translated by the publication. It's become standard operating procedure for these top Russian NHL players to run back to mother Russia and give these types of interviews at the end of a disappointing season.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Montreal's had two top-ten picks in the past five drafts.

LOL. Yup.

And this. Other teams seem to do OK with drafting NHLers without being a bottom dweller.

Screen_Shot_2017_04_25_at_6.21.40_PM.png

I mean that is horrendous. FIVE players. And it's not like 70 games is some crazy milestone. Pretty conservative if you ask me.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Montreal's had two top-ten picks in the past five drafts.

And Detroit has scouted stud after stud out of the fourth round or later for years.

Torts got you the best season in franchise history...is that bad?

He got them to the door. And then they collapsed. Good season for sure, but no point if they can't get over the hump. He got squarely outcoached in the first round.

I like to believe that he's good for the team, but I can't fight this nagging feeling that Brad Shaw and Brad Marsh had more to do with the regular season success. D played well (Marsh) and Special Teams were ridiculous at times (Shaw)

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you draft such quality players many other teams make trade offers so that skews the numbers. When you do not draft so well thats when you have crappy players like Chris Neil on the roster for 16 years(!) or players that obviously need time in the minors like Mathews playing before he is ready.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL. Yup.

And this. Other teams seem to do OK with drafting NHLers without being a bottom dweller.

Screen_Shot_2017_04_25_at_6.21.40_PM.png

I mean that is horrendous. FIVE players. And it's not like 70 games is some crazy milestone. Pretty conservative if you ask me.
It's kinda telling that besides the Leafs and Wild, both of whom have young players that will raise that stat in the near future, and the Habs, all teams under 10 have at least been to a Cup final in the last few years.

Duke of Douchington

Needle Mover
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It matters because the questions and answers are provided in Russian and it gives the player a pretty easy out that the answers given were incorrectly translated by the publication. It's become standard operating procedure for these top Russian NHL players to run back to mother Russia and give these types of interviews at the end of a disappointing season.

...so...a player feels more comfortable answering questions in their native language and prefers the "safer" answers in other languages...

Shrug. This sounds like stuff my boy in my avatar would say.

Meanwhile, we make heroes out of players who come back to NA and rip the KHL. It's sort of funny...

Duke of Douchington

Needle Mover
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He got them to the door. And then they collapsed. Good season for sure, but no point if they can't get over the hump. He got squarely outcoached in the first round.

I like to believe that he's good for the team, but I can't fight this nagging feeling that Brad Shaw and Brad Marsh had more to do with the regular season success. D played well (Marsh) and Special Teams were ridiculous at times (Shaw)

Meh, if the playoff format wasn't colossally moronic, the Jackets are likely in the second round.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have it on good authority that the Kings players went out and partied harder than they did when they won the Cup when Darryl got the boot.

Someone will hire him. Probably in a similar situation as when he was hired by the Kings.

Wild guess as to which team with high hopes will start slow and make a coaching change mid-season and hire Darryl: Tampa Bay.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...so...a player feels more comfortable answering questions in their native language and prefers the "safer" answers in other languages...

Shrug. This sounds like stuff my boy in my avatar would say.

Meanwhile, we make heroes out of players who come back to NA and rip the KHL. It's sort of funny...

As I stated earlier, Kucherov could be totally justified with his comments, but generally speaking, this type of stuff is best kept within the locker room. The other thing is that you very rarely see Finns, Swedes, or Czechs quoted in papers in their native lands like you do Russians. Part of me thinks that it's a means by which these Russian media outlets want to put the player in a bad light and thereby make him want to play in the KHL.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, if the playoff format wasn't colossally moronic, the Jackets are likely in the second round.
Division winners seeded, they play NYR. Unseeded, they play MTL.

I don't know if they would've won or lost against either team but I wouldn't say any team would've been "likely" to win such a series.

Duke of Douchington

Needle Mover
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Division winners seeded, they play NYR. Unseeded, they play MTL.

I don't know if they would've won or lost against either team but I wouldn't say any team would've been "likely" to win such a series.

If you do 1v8 format, as the #3, they play Ottawa.

A +54 vs -2 GD matchup.

I'd say they advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.