• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL Thread Part IV - A New Hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey @Bloody Brian Burke, you should drop by on Wednesday and ask Justin about his favo(u)rite breakaway move on a goalie?

I'm under lifetime ban from the Rivoli because I went in there with a bag full of MDMA-laced Big Mac’s, pulled up chairs to a pool table and invited all the area homeless people in to dine.

See what charity gets ya?!

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be ecstatic over a free big mac laced with mdma

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Caps play tonight. Caps play tomorrow. My cable at my new place is installed Wednesday.

:(

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bettman: Dundon won't move Hurricanes - Article - TSN

"I want to address one matter about as crystal clear and as absolute terms as I can: Tom Dundon is buying his interest in the Hurricanes to have the Hurricanes in Carolina," Bettman said, per NHL.com. "This is not a team that is being moved. The rumors that it might be moving somewhere else are absolutely incorrect, made up, fabrications, wrong, wrong, wrong."

From 2013-14 to 2016-17, Carolina attracted 850,000 fewer spectators than the NHL median in that time. At the NHL’s average ticket price of $150, that’s approximately $127 million in revenue that the Hurricanes have missed out on, and that’s just attendance. At over $30 mil/yr, that’s literally an expansion fee share every season that the ownership of the Carolina Hurricanes misses out on by playing in a shitty market.

I think the new owner will take a couple seasons in the hopes that a winning team will turn things around, and I happen to think they’d attract around 17,000 if they were indeed a winning club, but, well, they said that in Arizona too and they still don’t have a winning team. The losing may have taken too much of a toll by now.
Check that contract for an out clause to Austin.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kerry with a pretty good Wayne Gretzky story (no, not the 1993 playoff one)

My success, I think, resulted from an awakening in a confrontation with Wayne Gretzky in 1980 in the Northlands Coliseum.

On his very first shift, Wayne took a dive. The guy just touched him, and Wayne went into the air - and he turned his head looking for me to see if my arm was up before he hit the ice. And my Type A personality was such that I thought, "I'm gonna show you." Every shift, the more he dove, the more stubborn I got. There wasn't one penalty he drew that night.

In saying, "I'm in control, I'm in charge," I was gonna make him pay. We didn't have a diving penalty at that time; the worst thing, for me, was to be fooled by a player. I didn't want to reward people that were trying to fool me or cheat.

The Philadelphia Flyers were up by a goal with just over a minute to play. And the crowd was on me all night; every time Wayne took a dive, they went crazy. The best opportunity (for Edmonton to tie the game) was a power play.

(Flyers netminder) Pelle Lindbergh caught the puck. I blew the whistle, killed the play. Wayne was standing behind the net, in his office. After I blew the whistle, he jumped in the air, threw his hands out one way, his feet out the other way, and boom - did a belly flop on the ice.

Bobby Clarke skated over to him with no teeth and said, "Get up, Gretzky, you (expletive) baby." I said, "Wayne, what are you doing? There was nobody within 15 feet of you." And Wayne said, "You wouldn't haven't called it anyway. You haven't called a (expletive) thing all night."

I said, "You're right. I'm gonna start right now. You've got two minutes for unsportsmanlike conduct." And he said, "Thanks. It's about effing time you called something." He stormed off the ice. And the Flyers won the game.

The Retro (Part I): Kerry Fraser on breaking in, Beatle haircuts, and battling Gretzky

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In saying, "I'm in control, I'm in charge," I was gonna make him pay. We didn't have a diving penalty at that time; the worst thing, for me, was to be fooled by a player. I didn't want to reward people that were trying to fool me or cheat.
Oh, so you actually believed that for a time Kerry?

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to be interesting to see what happens to Carolina and their new owner long-term. Maybe they stay there long term but how long will the new owner put up with low attendance? We'll see what happens.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anxiously waiting on Taylor Hall injury news. He has been playing on another level so it would be a huge blow. Palmieri and Mojo already out.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, but borderline. He is skating backwards when he finally flips the puck in.

The official rule is as long as the puck is constantly moving forward, it's good.

I don't know, that lateral move probably should have invalidated that one.

Anxiously waiting on Taylor Hall injury news. He has been playing on another level so it would be a huge blow. Palmieri and Mojo already out.

Saw it on NHL Network last night. Doesn't look good.

Get well soon, Taylor.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, if Ferklund doesn't ring off off the crossbar in the 3rd period (wide open net) or if Moneyhands buries one during the 3-on-3 OT session (another wide open net), we wouldn't have likely needed the Johnny Hockey dangle. I would like to see 3-on-3 extended to 10 minutes because I really hate shootouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.