• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL Thread Part IV - A New Hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why wouldnt gretzky talk to westhead about this ?

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Caman jstew, do you really think that Wayne wants to field questions regarding CTE and fighting in hockey knowing the stance that Bettman has on the subject?!?

Since when has wayne been beholden to bettman? The league pay him for the coyotes experience yet? Lol

It all seems to have gone off the rails for johnson entering the league in LA as a 19 year old ... and living with wayne :think:

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since when has wayne been beholden to bettman? The league pay him for the coyotes experience yet? Lol

It all seems to have gone off the rails for johnson entering the league in LA as a 19 year old ... and living with wayne :think:

I think they did.

Gretzky and NHL reach settlement on money owed from Coyotes situation: Sources

Also, you and I both know that Greztky isn't going to say anything of a controversial nature to stir the pot (I mean, let's be honest, he was one of the most boring interviews in hockey when he was a player).

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Re: Gretzky, my first thought was WTF is he gonna say? He encouraged a kid to go out and enjoy the LA nightlife and may have been partially responsible for him ending up where he is today?

All he does is lose by discussing this.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man oh man, Ryan Lambert tees off on Mark Spector for his "how many goals did you score in the NHL' tweet to Justin Bourne...

5 – Playing the game
This is inside-baseball stuff, but I really don’t care. It’ll also get me banned from the PHWA forever and I don’t care about that either. So here goes:

Far be it for me, a guy who is not in the PHWA, to tell the PHWA how to handle its business, but it seems to me that it is very bad for the guy who is in charge of the organization to start telling off its members publicly via tweet.

The answer, of course, is zero. But if you’re gonna “never played the game” someone, make sure it isn’t someone who made a living for a few years doing just that. Especially if your Elite Prospects page doesn’t exist.

But the larger point is: The president of the PHWA shouldn’t be calling out members for any reason, especially if he’s also been the president of the Professional Hockey Writers Shouldn’t Criticize Each Other Publicly Association for a lot longer than he’s been running the PHWA. I hate to use this phrase, but Spector is the kind of thin-skinned writer who can absolutely dish it out, but throws a temper tantrum when anyone tries to make him take it.

Spector’s public apology said he was wrong to criticize Bourne without knowing his résumé as a player, which again is about a million times more impressive than Spector’s (even if Bourne did only play at Alaska Anchorage lol), but that’s missing the point, which Spector does a lot, I guess, so it’s par for the course.

The idea that you have to have played the game to understand it is demonstrably stupid, although you certainly have a much greater chance of not understanding it if you didn’t. Exhibit A: Mark Spector.

Puck Daddy Countdown: Kings, Canadiens and shameful hockey writers

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Re: Gretzky, my first thought was WTF is he gonna say? He encouraged a kid to go out and enjoy the LA nightlife and may have been partially responsible for him ending up where he is today?

All he does is lose by discussing this.

He could have clarified what else went on and provided some insight on the time Johnson lived with the Gretzkys ... his non response just created a vacuum that can now be filled with speculation imo

his non response makes him look like he has something to hide here :noidea:

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He could have clarified what else went on and provided some insight on the time Johnson lived with the Gretzkys ... his non response just created a vacuum that can now be filled with speculation imo

his non response makes him look like he has something to hide here :noidea:
I mean, he probably does?

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, he probably does?

Westhead artfully knifed gretzky pretty good the way he laid out that part of the story

Off the ice during his rookie season, Matt lived with the Gretzkys. Lee said Matt often told his family of Gretzky’s kindness.

“Wayne would ask him what his plans were for the night and Matt would say he was just going to stay in,” Lee said. “Wayne would give him $300 or $400 and tell him to go out and have a good time.”

Ira Stahlberger, a spokesman for Gretzky, said the NHL superstar declined to discuss Johnson.

“I spoke to Wayne about it…and he would prefer to leave it be,” Stahlberger said.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they did.

Gretzky and NHL reach settlement on money owed from Coyotes situation: Sources

Also, you and I both know that Greztky isn't going to say anything of a controversial nature to stir the pot (I mean, let's be honest, he was one of the most boring interviews in hockey when he was a player).

going back to your question:
do you really think that Wayne wants to field questions regarding CTE and fighting in hockey

He could have told Westhead that he wouldnt talk about those 2 topics ... which would have been acceptable imo ... he could have limited his discussion about his time spent with johnson :think:

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
going back to your question:
do you really think that Wayne wants to field questions regarding CTE and fighting in hockey

He could have told Westhead that he wouldnt talk about those 2 topics ... which would have been acceptable imo ... he could have limited his discussion about his time spent with johnson :think:

Yes, that's true and I agree that by declining to be interviewed that it certainly opens things up for speculation. He probably figures the best way to protect his name (brand) is by not saying anything at all.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If my Bozo hat trick bet pays off tonight, I can afford about a 3/8 of a bitcoin. Winning!

Reactions: gob

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If my Bozo hat trick bet pays off tonight, I can afford about a 3/8 of a bitcoin. Winning!

I have him getting 5 tonight ... couldnt find that prop bet so ive purchased 1000 bags of safeway/sobey score and win featured product Rold Gold Pretzels. These pretzels are already making me thirsty ... FOR BOZO GOALS!!!

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have him getting 5 tonight ... couldnt find that prop bet so ive purchased 1000 bags of safeway/sobey score and win featured product Rold Gold Pretzels. These pretzels are already making me thirsty ... FOR BOZO GOALS!!!

Did you move to Surrey and change your name to Syed because that's the only way you're winning Safeway Score 'n Win.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Did you move to Surrey and change your name to Syed because that's the only way you're winning Safeway Score 'n Win.
Mildred from Prince George also has a pretty decent shot

Duke of Douchington

Needle Mover
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man oh man, Ryan Lambert tees off on Mark Spector for his "how many goals did you score in the NHL' tweet to Justin Bourne...

5 – Playing the game
This is inside-baseball stuff, but I really don’t care. It’ll also get me banned from the PHWA forever and I don’t care about that either. So here goes:

Far be it for me, a guy who is not in the PHWA, to tell the PHWA how to handle its business, but it seems to me that it is very bad for the guy who is in charge of the organization to start telling off its members publicly via tweet.

The answer, of course, is zero. But if you’re gonna “never played the game” someone, make sure it isn’t someone who made a living for a few years doing just that. Especially if your Elite Prospects page doesn’t exist.

But the larger point is: The president of the PHWA shouldn’t be calling out members for any reason, especially if he’s also been the president of the Professional Hockey Writers Shouldn’t Criticize Each Other Publicly Association for a lot longer than he’s been running the PHWA. I hate to use this phrase, but Spector is the kind of thin-skinned writer who can absolutely dish it out, but throws a temper tantrum when anyone tries to make him take it.

Spector’s public apology said he was wrong to criticize Bourne without knowing his résumé as a player, which again is about a million times more impressive than Spector’s (even if Bourne did only play at Alaska Anchorage lol), but that’s missing the point, which Spector does a lot, I guess, so it’s par for the course.

The idea that you have to have played the game to understand it is demonstrably stupid, although you certainly have a much greater chance of not understanding it if you didn’t. Exhibit A: Mark Spector.

Puck Daddy Countdown: Kings, Canadiens and shameful hockey writers

I don't care for Lambert, since he was Poop Daddy's right-hand man for so long, but the hockey community has the biggest "small penis" complex of any sport in terms of the "you never played the game" thing. It's pretty pathetic actually. Not to mention, fuck Spector for not even knowing Bourne did play the game. He likely could have been a career minor leaguer if injuries didn't bring him to a screeching halt.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dammit ... im gonna be soooooooooooooooooo thirsty

Status
Not open for further replies.