• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Ohio state vs Alabama

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Team with a dominate offensive line, whether for a game or a season, usually ends up with the best offensive statistics. Neither Lawrence, Trask, Jones, Fields and Book end with the same stats behind a below or even above average line. Harris and Etienne rush for their yardage if they are getting hit at the time of the handoff, and Smith, Waddle and all the rest never get their stats if the QB in on the ground or running for life.
Smith is the only one who would seem to be able to save a QB who was being chased all the time.

Years ago when coaching at much (much, much) lower level, I used a scheme against the any receiver who was dominate. It was a take off on the box and one in basketball. We played zone but with man to man on the receiver. That meant that the receiver had to beat the man coverage, which was not hard, but as he did he ran into the zone coverage. With complicated defenses in college that may not have worked , but what everyone was trying did not work either.
I played DE and LB on defense and OG and FB on offense. The OL and front 7 decide most games.

tOSU simply dominated Clemson at the LOS. I actually was happiest with our front 7. They held their own against a great OL from tOSU, and were able to disrupt Fields more often than I had expected.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I played DE and LB on defense and OG and FB on offense. The OL and front 7 decide most games.

tOSU simply dominated Clemson at the LOS. I actually was happiest with our front 7. They held their own against a great OL from tOSU, and were able to disrupt Fields more often than I had expected.
Not sure they had a shot anyway (sure looks like they did not), but missing Smith and Togai was a huge blow. No pressure the entire game with far lesser DBs that they are used to AND an all world WR was a bad combo. Kid might have gotten 400 yards if not for the injury if they needed more from him.

Congrats to Bama and their fans on a well earned W.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats Bama. Amazing offense. I’d like to say losing our 2 defensive linemen and our star RB made a big difference but I don’t think it would have mattered. Devonta Smith= superstar.
Haha...just said same thing. A difference? sure. But not sure how much.

SignalBama

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roll Tide. Couldn't have asked for a classier opponent in this game. You didn't see players fighting each other and jawing on the field with each other and the only PF I think was the targeting call. tOSU fans Day has your program heading in a good direction. It just wasn't your year this year.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roll Tide. Couldn't have asked for a classier opponent in this game. You didn't see players fighting each other and jawing on the field with each other and the only PF I think was the targeting call. tOSU fans Day has your program heading in a good direction. It just wasn't your year this year.
I have no doubt. Never imagined we could move on from Tressel and get a better coach. Even less likely was to move on from Meyer and at the very least not see a drop in recruiting/coaching (I think Day might be better overall, but time will tell). Another top 2-3 class and so far near the top in 2021 and 2022. Biggest difference is the quality of QB who will play for Day, I think.

And of course Bama will stay on top until Saban decides it's time to retire.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I had a bad feeling about this game. That's why all I said about was I had hoped Ohio State could give Bama a good game. Gotta say this though. Never seen one team have the best QB, WR, RB all at once. That Tide offense was unstoppable. One of the best I've seen. And again congrats on another national championship.