• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Notre Dame to ACC

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not so sure.

Through 5 games, ODU's sophomore QB has thrown for 2281 yards, 21 TDs and 6 INTs

and ODU has outscored opponents 281-142

I agree. ODU will be able to get alot of the good players that have made many of the Mid Atlantic FCS teams quite good over the last ten years. Not only will they get the kids they have been recruiting, but they will poach the best "757 left-overs" from VT/UVA's recruiting..and the Colonial Athletic Conference will be worse for it. Teams like Delaware, JMU, Richmond, W&M, Liberty, etc. have been pretty OK. ODU will be competitive pretty quick in C-USA IMO.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say ODU wouldn't be competitive pretty quickly in C-USA. They may be, I don't know. They are doing very well in FCS this year. Let's remember that it is FCS. There will be an adjustment period with the move to FBS, and it's hard to say how long that'll be. Not too long, I don't think, with what they've got going for them. But I don't know what you define as "pretty quick".

What I said was that they wouldn't be at the level of ECU in the good years (i.e. nationally ranked at times, beating teams like us, WVU, Boise...) for a while. That's a mite better than just competitive in C-USA. I agree that they have the potential to get there. If you think it's going to be in the next five years (to put a number on it), I have to disagree.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect the ACC to have us finish the series with FSU next year, and push out the MD game. But we'll see.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough. I think ODU will be competitive in 5 years and competing for their division crown. We will just have to wait and see.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
What do you all think of the possibility of playing an ACC team OOC? We'll play all non-BC Atlantic teams 2 years on, 10 years off. A decade of students won't see FSU in Lane Stadium.

I used to think it was a silly suggestion, but our new format makes those teams strangers. NC State plays two 1AA teams sometimes, so I know they and others could use a quality game. Wake and Maryland are two of the easiest games to travel outside of the Commonwealth. Clemson and FSU would always draw. I think I could actually support the idea when the ECU series ends.

(ETA I missed the previous comment that we might keep Maryland for 13)

Last edited by a moderator:

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it just seems a little inbred, playing ACC schools as OOC opponents. As a one-time thing, when it's short notice like this and you can't find anything, ok. But never under normal circumstances. Nobody would respect the ACC if they're doing that.

I hate that we're playing teams from the other division only every 6 years. I'd rather drop the cross-divisional opponent concept than play ACC schools as OOC opponents or go to a 9-game schedule, though. That certainly wouldn't go over well with the current divisional assignments. Maybe we could realign them in a way that it would work, though. Or maybe there's just no good option. This is what you get when conferences get big.

Crazy that we'll be playing ND at home every 6 years or less, and FSU at home only every 12 years...

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it just seems a little inbred, playing ACC schools as OOC opponents. As a one-time thing, when it's short notice like this and you can't find anything, ok. But never under normal circumstances. Nobody would respect the ACC if they're doing that.

I hate that we're playing teams from the other division only every 6 years. I'd rather drop the cross-divisional opponent concept than play ACC schools as OOC opponents or go to a 9-game schedule, though. That certainly wouldn't go over well with the current divisional assignments. Maybe we could realign them in a way that it would work, though. Or maybe there's just no good option. This is what you get when conferences get big.

Crazy that we'll be playing ND at home every 6 years or less, and FSU at home only every 12 years...

as opposed to now?

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad to see that Notre Dame can only appear in the Orange Bowl a max of 2 times over 12 years. We should have good opponents every year. The money is a lot less than the Sugar and Rose ($80 mil each vs. $55 mil for Orange), but I guess that was to be expected.

ACC, Orange Bowl finalize 12-year agreement - ESPN

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PSU Rivals is starting a rumor that is making it's rounds:

Jerry Fisher ‏@JerryFisherPSU
Sources telling Phil Grosz that Maryland will be joining the Big Ten in 2014. Announcement coming next week!

Until more credible sources start reporting it... I'm not buying it.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, where is Maryland getting their 50 million dollars from to buy their way out of the ACC?

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The B1G would have no problem helping to cover that for anyone who leaves. I just heard that they soured something fierce on Maryland when they were investigating them. The B1G is headed to 16 first, and the ACC may get picked, but I don't think it will be Maryland.

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't make much sense for the B1G. Even if they are adding the DC market, I can't imagine the UMD football adds much. Also Maryland would lose all of their precious ACC basketball rivalries.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only way I see the ACC getting raided is if the Big12, Big10 and SEC all bombard the conference at the same time and basically kill the league.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, where is Maryland getting their 50 million dollars from to buy their way out of the ACC?

Oh Shit!!!

David Teel ‏@DavidTeelatDP
And UA runs Maryland. RT @sammyeanes: Kevin Plank did just cash out $65 million in Under Armour stock.

ACC Sports ‏@ACCSports
And by Maryland's thinking - ACC teams aren't filling its football stadium, why not try B1G schools?

Last edited by a moderator: