• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Notre Dame to ACC

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
We had planned on playing 1 FCS, 1 MAC Caliber, 1 top tier opponent with the 9 game conf schedule. I wonder what we will do with that 4th OOC game now.

The annual "VT-SEC" kickoff game ofcourse, and not just in the ATL. Every Labor day our fans could expect to travel to new city, mixed with some home events in the deal. Our admin should cultivate that relationship as much as possible. Not to look for an invitation (#godsconference), but rather to take advantage of the exposure and prestige that the SEC offers. It'd grow our fanbase, show our team to southern recruiting hotbeds yearly, and likely bring us buttloads of money and media attention. Use that other 1 top tier game for B10, Big12, P12, & ND games.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weaver will probably try to schedule a 10 year (ECU like) series with ODU or some other FCS team from VA.

I know you're being sarcastic there, since he's not going to schedule 2 FCS teams a year. But seriously, I hope we play someone decent. ODU will become FBS in 2014, so if wants to schedule an FBS cupcake he could certainly sell that. I'm fine with playing ODU, but only if we're not playing an FCS game that year. At least until ODU steps up and starts doing relatively well in FBS (ala ECU in the good years), which will probably be a while.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The annual "VT-SEC" kickoff game ofcourse, and not just in the ATL. Every Labor day our fans could expect to travel to new city, mixed with some home events in the deal. Our admin should cultivate that relationship as much as possible. Not to look for an invitation (#godsconference), but rather to take advantage of the exposure and prestige that the SEC offers. It'd grow our fanbase, show our team to southern recruiting hotbeds yearly, and likely bring us buttloads of money and media attention. Use that other 1 top tier game for B10, Big12, P12, & ND games.

the Chick-fil-a kickoff game is supposed to rotate around the ACC teams, so that won't be us every year. I don't see ESPN pushing for another ACC-SEC kickoff game, or VT or an SEC team agreeing to do another one. Would love to see us play some SEC teams in the regular season outside of that kickoff game, but I'm not sure how likely that is either.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the Chick-fil-a kickoff game is supposed to rotate around the ACC teams, so that won't be us every year. I don't see ESPN pushing for another ACC-SEC kickoff game, or VT or an SEC team agreeing to do another one. Would love to see us play some SEC teams in the regular season outside of that kickoff game, but I'm not sure how likely that is either.

That game will only rotate between FSU, Clemson and VT with an occasional NCSU or UNC. I'd be surprised to see anyone else from the ACC play in that game. Hard to find a marquee ACC teams that will also put butts in seats.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That game will only rotate between FSU, Clemson and VT with an occasional NCSU or UNC. I'd be surprised to see anyone else from the ACC play in that game. Hard to find a marquee ACC teams that will also put butts in seats.

If Pitt gets good enough again, they have the name rec and history. Also, ND may get a shot.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
don't forget Miami. And 46 is right about Pitt. If we're talking long term, you never know who might end up there. But in the short term, yeah, you're absolutely right that the rotation will be among a few teams, not the whole league.

Not sure about ND... isn't there some kind of contract there which says ACC football team? ND will be closely tied to the ACC in football, but still not an ACC football team. I don't think the ACC office would be very happy seeing that game go to ND.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really really really like the add of Pitt. Some people laughed at it because they saw them as just some Big East team but historically they come into the league as one of if not the biggest name. The have multiple national titles,. multiple Heisman winners, a fistful of big time pros and a great recruiting bed. Add in how great the school is and the world reputation of the school and it is a perfect add for the ACC.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really really really like the add of Pitt. Some people laughed at it because they saw them as just some Big East team but historically they come into the league as one of if not the biggest name. The have multiple national titles,. multiple Heisman winners, a fistful of big time pros and a great recruiting bed. Add in how great the school is and the world reputation of the school and it is a perfect add for the ACC.

agree wholeheartedly. Those who say the Pitt add was just a basketball move don't know what they're talking about.

robV703

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do we know yet what ACC game we are going to lose next year? AB tweeted that Weaver would consider playing an ACC opponent as an OOC game to make the scheduling easier, so maybe the schedule will stay the same afer all.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
hadnt heard that but definitely makes the most sense ... we'd likely get stuck with an fcs team (in addition to western carolina).

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do we know yet what ACC game we are going to lose next year? AB tweeted that Weaver would consider playing an ACC opponent as an OOC game to make the scheduling easier, so maybe the schedule will stay the same afer all.

Let's try to win them all. ;)

(I definitely read that first sentence differently than you meant it)

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think the eight game schedule is coming back until '14; should still have nine ACC games next season :L

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the eight game schedule is coming back until '14; should still have nine ACC games next season :L

You got bad info. Here's a direct quote from the ACC's press release:

"With the addition of Notre Dame playing five games annually against ACC teams, the league has determined it will play an eight-game conference schedule for 2013 and beyond."
ACC Announces Future Scheduling Formats and Policies - The Official Athletic Site of the Atlantic Coast Conference

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:mad2: Fucking four letter network articles...

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm extremely glad this move has been made. Allows for greater schedule flexibility and we might be able to get Oklahoma State back on the schedule...

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

http://blogs.roanoke.com/andybitter...ule-it-will-be-a-mad-scramble-for-the-14-ads/

Weaver>>>"In a short-term sense, it creates a big headache for filling out the 2013 schedule. Pittsburgh was set to come onto the schedule as the ninth ACC game instead of being a non-conference meeting. It still will, since the Panthers are now a division foe, but that will require the Hokies to drop one of their tentatively-scheduled Atlantic Division matchups (Maryland or Florida State) to add a fourth non-conference game."

Aug. 31 Alabama
Sept. 14 Pittsburgh
Sept. 21 Marshall
Western Carolina
at Duke
at Georgia Tech
Miami
North Carolina
at Virginia
Boston College (Atlantic Division partner)
at Florida State
Maryland

VT is in an interesting situation because of the Pitt scheduling and the fact that FSU or Maryland (whoever the ACC decides VT will not play) would probably have to agree with that, most VT peeps would probably prefer MD not be dropped (because it is a home game and likely an easier game). Maryland on the other hand already has Temple, WVU, and UConn..so they may be looking to get out and schedule a home game patsy if possible (if they don't HAVE to play VT). FSU, just the opposite. They currently have Nevada, UF, and Wofford on the OOC (read that Nevada may back out). I say that FSU might stick but that Maryland might try to bail if they can.

Best case scenario for VT is that MD is an ACC game, and that A) FSU is counted as a non-conference game, which would not impact the ACC standings OR B) VT is able to drop FSU and schedule another decent home game. Could potentially be 8 home games in the B scenario (assuming that the Pitt game stays in Blacksburg), 1 neutral site game, and only 3 away games.

Last edited by a moderator:

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know you're being sarcastic there, since he's not going to schedule 2 FCS teams a year. But seriously, I hope we play someone decent. ODU will become FBS in 2014, so if wants to schedule an FBS cupcake he could certainly sell that. I'm fine with playing ODU, but only if we're not playing an FCS game that year. At least until ODU steps up and starts doing relatively well in FBS (ala ECU in the good years), which will probably be a while.

I'm not so sure.

Through 5 games, ODU's sophomore QB has thrown for 2281 yards, 21 TDs and 6 INTs

and ODU has outscored opponents 281-142