• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Notre Dame to ACC

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Notre Dame is joining the ACC in all sports EXCEPT football. Will play 5 ACC football games a year.

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eric Hansen (ND football writer) reporting that each ACC school will play ND one out of every 3 years.

Bruce Feldmen reporting that exit fees have been raised to $50 million.

rockhead44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With that exit fee, I guess my VT to SEC dream is officially dead.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
while i hate all the special treatment notre dame football gets.. i will enjoy playing them..

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
while i hate all the special treatment notre dame football gets.. i will enjoy playing them..

Same here. I will enjoy beating the fuck out of them.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like no one will be leaving the ACC now....especially VT. Gotta hand it to Swofford.....he pulled out another deal behind close doors. He's good at keeping information from leaking out prematurely. I think this will be good for ACC football even though its a partial member ship. Certainly, can't hurt recruiting, knowing that you get to play ND once or twice during time at VT.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Once every 8 years.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jeffro just posted a link in the other thread, looks like they will be playing each ACC school at least once every 3 years.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The main question is will ND come in and start taking the ACC upper tier bowl slots? Will an 8-4 ND team be eligible to be picked for say the Chik-fil-A bowl ahead of a 10-2 VT?

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are now the more than ever the new Big East and we are stuck in the ACC with the increased exit fee. I hate this. Even if we play them once every 3 years, that means they visit us only once every 6 years.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The main question is will ND come in and start taking the ACC upper tier bowl slots? Will an 8-4 ND team be eligible to be picked for say the Chik-fil-A bowl ahead of a 10-2 VT?

I think the ACC has a rule about the upper tier bowls having to take the higher ranked team if they are more than 1 win better than the other school (ie: 10-2 VT would HAVE to be taken over 8-4, but not necessarily 9-3) It will be interesting to see what league rules ND will be forced to follow, and whether or not they will be splitting their bowl revenue like the rest of the league is forced to do.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Props to Swoff and crew for taking a sledge hammer to the doubts of ACC's future. Not a perfect situation, but this move will help the conference incredibly.

Two ways to look at that. If they are eligible to take bowls, they'd also likely help the conference get atleast one more quality slot.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This helps ACC basketball and Notre Dame not VT football or ACC football

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Remains to be seen....time for Swofford to start negotiating some new bowl games. I heard the Capital One bowl mentioned a year ago. Also, isn't the ACC's ESPN TV deal up for renegotiating now?

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I will say, despite the bullshit where they'll probably still get their own TV deal and some BS share of our AQ BCS bids... This will lend eyes to the ACC.

If we, along with all of the other ACC schools, show up on NBC, that's better than it being an extension of the Big TwElveN conference. This hurts the B1G and seriously hurts the Big Least, much more than it helps the ACC. Hurting those two conferences will help galvanize what we've built.

Besides, who is left out there to add? UConn? Steal someone from the SEC? A sad commentary on the leftovers and leftouts from this latest round of conference expansion is that Notre Dame was the only worthwhile program left.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and I kinda hate them. I can't wait to push their shit in every third year or whatever.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I will say, despite the bullshit where they'll probably still get their own TV deal and some BS share of our AQ BCS bids... This will lend eyes to the ACC.

If we, along with all of the other ACC schools, show up on NBC, that's better than it being an extension of the Big TwElveN conference. This hurts the B1G and seriously hurts the Big Least, much more than it helps the ACC. Hurting those two conferences will help galvanize what we've built.

Besides, who is left out there to add? UConn? Steal someone from the SEC? A sad commentary on the leftovers and leftouts from this latest round of conference expansion is that Notre Dame was the only worthwhile program left.

exactly.. of what's available, adding ND in this capacity is stronger than anything else they could've done

at the very worst, it gets the ACC talked about a lot more in football, even if it is as 'notre dame's opponent'

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah .. I don't see the overall hate really .. Big12 inked a new deal that dumps about 20 mil for each school .. ACC had to do something or the FSU rumors could start becoming real. It's not the prettiest arrangement but what other choice do we have? Now, if ND does get to keep their bowl money or get special privs to the bowls, then I'd be pissed about that but Swofford just basically locked in everyone to the ACC. Not a bad thing. Not that I think there's a chance in hell but I like trying to pull in Vandy over Rutgers or UConn ... just to stick it to the $EC

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

Completely disagree. Notre Dame will help increase the overall TV package which includes football. Every ACC team will have a nationally televised game with Notre Dame once every three years for additional exposure. Almost everyone loves or hates ND, despite their mediocrity. Those games will sell out too, across the league. If they are eligible for our bowls, they'll help us get a quality addition. They also have extremely heavy pull, equivalent to entire conferences, at the football negotiating table.

This is huge for the ACC. It's not perfect, but its the best move the conference could make at this point.