• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nobody is talking about Brees deal huh?

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure it'll end like last time and the time before that or the time before that. :D

Lol good thing for you guys is I no longer hate the seahawks as I used to so I won't be annoying after we win that game

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a big QBR guy. Just seems like an overrated stat that is very subjective to the people who created it.

none of them are perfect... but it does take a better look at situations. Like a 9 yard pass on 3rd and 7 gets a positive rating, the same pass on 3rd and 10 doesn't. It's subjective sure, but not with a bias. Non-situationally he's 6th in QB rating, 5th in net yards per attempt. And even comparing apples to apples, his QBR was the highest of his career outside of his 2011 Offensive player of the year season, tied with his SB season.

Brees was great situationally. Games close he's throwing very well, with a really weak run game. Does well in bad situations, just in more of them. His QB rating in losses are up there at the best in the NFL (over brady, cam, ben, Carson, etc). Usually your QB wins a few games where he wasn't great. Arguably the Colts game (because he handed off short yardage TD's) was his only game he won where he didn't play excellent.

I think he may drop off really soon, and with the holes on that team, the extension is a tough pill to swallow, but his play I believe has still been elite.

Reactions: DJ

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too much dead money being pushed into the future. $18 mil over three year after this current contract is up. And it might be $9 mil x 2 & not $6 mil x 3 when that dead money hits the cap, I am not sure which when it comes to automatically voided years.

Brees is still a good QB, but he is personally killing the future of that team.

And no, QBR should never be looked at as legit or used to measure QBs.

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But we have 10 million in cap this year and that can be carried over to next year with this restructure. We should have 20 million in cap next year.

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
extension

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But we have 10 million in cap this year and that can be carried over to next year with this restructure. We should have 20 million in cap next year.

Dead money is dead money. Rolling over saved money from 16 into 17 isn't going to help in years 18, 19, & 20. A temporary gain at the expense of future flexibility.

By the way, how the hell did the Saints GM mismanage his cap so bad to the tune of $33+ mil in dead money hitting the 2016 cap?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Brees is a little punk*ss who complained about f**king collusion before signing a near-record deal. :rolleyes2:

Hope he starts to suck & goes the way of that thing on his face; never to be seen again.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dead money is dead money. Rolling over saved money from 16 into 17 isn't going to help in years 18, 19, & 20. A temporary gain at the expense of future flexibility.

By the way, how the hell did the Saints GM mismanage his cap so bad to the tune of $33+ mil in dead money hitting the 2016 cap?

This dead money issue has been building for years. I would be interested to see which team in the league has done the most restructures of deals over the last 5 years but I would bet NO is in the top-2 or 3 teams in the league for that issue. I think they thought with Brees in his prime that they needed to do as much as possible to build around him knowing a day of reckoning would eventually come. Well that day has come this year and even some next year as that $20 million next year really isn't all that great either. Draft class can cost anywhere from $6-7 million. Need another $3-5 million for just the season in general. Then RFA's usually take up another $2-7 million depending how many you have and want to keep. They also don't have anybody but Kenny Vacaro that they can cut, get a nice chunk of cap space, and not have a big dead money hit. So that would mean if they want to sign anybody they would have to restructure another deal once again. The best thing the Saints can do is pretty much this year stick with what they got now that they did the Brees deal and then just know next year that other than maybe 1-2 smaller deals in FA they are just going to have to depend on draft picks to carry them for a bit until Brees' cap hits and dead money get off the books.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When was the last time New Orleans beat Seattle?

The last time they beat Seattle in New Orleans (which I clearly specified) was the last time they played in the superdome which was my point....

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last time they beat Seattle in New Orleans (which I clearly specified) was the last time they played in the superdome which was my point....

6 years ago. When Seattle was terrible and New Orleans was one of the best teams in football.

Now Seattle is one of the best teams in football and New Orleans is...... not.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6 years ago. When Seattle was terrible and New Orleans was one of the best teams in football.

Now Seattle is one of the best teams in football and New Orleans is...... not.

lol very true but I have to remain confident

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess it was just an expected move considering his cap hit. At the same time when they seem to be trying to get their cap situation under control just seems like once again let's push the issue to another season and just hope that Brees doesn't continue with his decline. The last 5 years his yards and touchdowns have declined every single season from the year before.

...and his QBR has climbed the past 3 years.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a big QBR guy. Just seems like an overrated stat that is very subjective to the people who created it.

But your note of "declining" to 4870 passing yards (led the league) and 32 TDs (tied for 7th, leader had 36) shows that he's in decline? More like the team around him is in decline. He's getting up there in age and reps, but he's still going strong (much like Brady).

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But your note of "declining" to 4870 passing yards (led the league) and 32 TDs (tied for 7th, leader had 36) shows that he's in decline? More like the team around him is in decline. He's getting up there in age and reps, but he's still going strong (much like Brady).

I'm not saying my numbers were the end all be all either. I just think the QBR weighs the 4th quarter way too much. I saw times where a QB would be consistent the entire game and win the game yet Tebow would have games where he looked like the worst starting QB in NFL history for 3 quarters and 10 minutes of the 4th quarter but would pull out 2 plays at the end of the game and the team would win it. I understand that wins are what matter most but to me I think a QB that is consistent through the entire game in leading their team to victory should have a better QBR than a guy that maybe had just 2 plays all game that were even positive.

Listen I still think Brees is a top-8 or so QB in this league. And I will agree that the talent around him as been eroding but honestly I think he has been part of the problem because of his large cap number making life a little bit more difficult for the team. Now the Saints havent' done great drafting or bringing in impact FA's so not all on Brees but I just think his contract has been out of control for a while and we are seeing the team now for the next couple of years really pressed against the cap and not being able to do a whole lot of positive moves to build a contender around him. I also don't think Brees has that much longer of being a top-10 QB in this league. He is reaching that age where only 1-2 guys have been able to stay elite for a few years beyond his age. We usually see a significant drop off.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess it was just an expected move considering his cap hit. At the same time when they seem to be trying to get their cap situation under control just seems like once again let's push the issue to another season and just hope that Brees doesn't continue with his decline. The last 5 years his yards and touchdowns have declined every single season from the year before.

The group around him has declined as well. He has a nice trio right now to throw to and a run game to lean on for the first time. We'll see a few more peak years outta him.

Anyway, he lead the league in passing yards last year.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The group around him has declined as well. He has a nice trio right now to throw to and a run game to lean on for the first time. We'll see a few more peak years outta him.

It's possible. Again I'm not saying that Brees is a terrible QB or anything. I still have him as a top-8 guy in the league. I can just see him though in maybe 2 seasons from now really hitting that brick wall and falling off pretty quickly. And I am one that doesn't agree with @Brees#1 that finding his replacement is as easy as taking somebody in the 2nd or 3rd round and all of a sudden you have a Russell Wilson starting for you. I wouldn't be surprised to see them use a 1st round pick next year on a QB to give them a year under Brees in the hopes of them being ready the next year.