• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

No criminal charges for Deshaun Watson

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I think it answers it perfectly...he got treated poorly and took another option. He walked on at OU - so nothing was guaranteed.

So, your question was about him treating things the same - and I think this is the same - he has been treated poorly by the Browns and can easily bet on himself being good enough already to sit out most of this year, accrue a season, and still be worth a solid contract to some team out there.

History shows - he will make the change if not treated in a manner he feels he deserves. So, your own question works against you.
But we are talking about allowing Baker to play here in the scenario we are discussing. Baker was not going to be given a chance at TT. The comparison here is if Watson was playing and, sure, in that scenario Baker would want out....and somehow he'd be granted his wish IMO.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always found the PFF argument a little weak. You are assuming that the people PFF hired for minimum wage actually understand football and aren't watching tictok videos while grading each play. Even if they do understand, they have no idea what the play call was, if the receiver ran the wrong route or the QB threw to the wrong spot on a given play, if the QB was supposed to check off a receiver based on a particular coverage, if the QB screwed up his reads, if OBJ's father thought OBJ was open on the play, if baker sailed one a mile too high but luckily there was no deep safety to pick it off and certainly their thoughts on whether a completed pass should have been a pick are at least somewhat questionable. But, it's a stat I guess.
I mean, you are assuming they get min. wage and don't take their jobs seriously. They can get a handle by watching the entire play if the receiver ran the wrong route, if QB threw to wrong spot, etc. I mean, you think it's better to just look at completion % and yards? Doies completion % tell you if the receiver ran the wrong route, what the QB saw, etc? Hell, a QB can throw a pass right to the DB who tips it to the receiver for a catch and that's a great throw based only on completion %.

He can also throw a ball 3 yards that goes for 80 and based on yards only it's a tremendous pass....even if dropped/tipped by the DB.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, you are assuming they get min. wage and don't take their jobs seriously. They can get a handle by watching the entire play if the receiver ran the wrong route, if QB threw to wrong spot, etc. I mean, you think it's better to just look at completion % and yards? Doies completion % tell you if the receiver ran the wrong route, what the QB saw, etc? Hell, a QB can throw a pass right to the DB who tips it to the receiver for a catch and that's a great throw based only on completion %.

He can also throw a ball 3 yards that goes for 80 and based on yards only it's a tremendous pass....even if dropped/tipped by the DB.
How much time do you think they take on each play When they watch every player on every play? And No chance they are getting an idea of whether or not the receiver ran the wrong route on most plays unless they are in the h and know the routes.

i didn’t reference completion % and yards but I have always felt completion % is one of the best indicators of a QB. Offense of course plays a big role in this. But the best indicator is your eyes. My eyes tell me Baker is very inaccurate. You may disagree, but I think most would agree. Most things tend to even out over time which is why a couple of games is a horrible indicator but a few years or more tells a pretty good story.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think our Browns fans have gone into shock and are speechless. LOL

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be shocked if he is suspended for 60 games. I don’t know what nfl uncovered is. Is that a source we give some credence to?
I think the odds are really good his initial suspension is multiple seasons

Watson will undoubtedly appeal so its smart to start the suspension very high so when it gets reduced itll still be appropriate

Since the league no longer controls appeals theyll want the initial suspension to be really long to give the appearance theyre taking this seriously for PR

They know people will only care about what the actual suspension is so if they start at a season and it gets reduced to 6-8 games theyll get crucified

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be shocked if he is suspended for 60 games. I don’t know what nfl uncovered is. Is that a source we give some credence to?

Zero percent chance that would hold. But even with that the Browns would have a pretty major gripe wirh the league considering they consulted with them prior to the deal.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zero percent chance that would hold. But even with that the Browns would have a pretty major gripe wirh the league considering they consulted with them prior to the deal.
Yeah doubt it would hold because 3.5 years is a massive length to be suspended, but what would they knock it down to? Two years maybe?
As for consulting the NFL, well what was said? Doubt the NFL gave them any guarantees.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah doubt it would hold because 3.5 years is a massive length to be suspended, but what would they knock it down to? Two years maybe?
As for consulting the NFL, well what was said? Doubt the NFL gave them any guarantees.

Guarantees no. But you don't make that kind of deal with even a hint of a multi year suspension. Literally no one on hear has said or heard anything like that until a few more women pop up a year later? Lol. All the sudden we are talking 4 years? Gtfo with that shit. Nothing has substantially changed. If they were thinking 4 years that decision should have long been handed down.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guarantees no. But you don't make that kind of deal with even a hint of a multi year suspension. Literally no one on hear has said or heard anything like that until a few more women pop up a year later? Lol. All the sudden we are talking 4 years? Gtfo with that shit. Nothing has substantially changed. If they were thinking 4 years that decision should have long been handed down.
I got no idea what the NFL will do, but the PR of late starting with HBO then a drip drip drip drip of new cases being filed has me thinking that the NFL who is so image conscience will feel the need to come forth with a harsh suspension. Not 4 years though, that's seems a bit over the top, but a year at minimum sounds right to me and maybe aim high knowing an appeal will happen. I could see the NFL aiming for a two year suspension, in large part because Watsons contract protects him year one financially, it just seems unjust that a player with 230 million dollar contract can get suspended for a year and only lose one million dollars.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got no idea what the NFL will do, but the PR of late starting with HBO then a drip drip drip drip of new cases being filed has me thinking that the NFL who is so image conscience will feel the need to come forth with a harsh suspension. Not 4 years though, that's seems a bit over the top, but a year at minimum sounds right to me and maybe aim high knowing an appeal will happen. I could see the NFL aiming for a two year suspension, in large part because Watsons contract protects him year one financially, it just seems unjust that a player with 230 million dollar contract can get suspended for a year and only lose one million dollars.

So fine him. I'm more than certain the NFL can get creative in how to hand a punishment down.

Suspending him an extra year because of how his contract is designed is laughably ridiculous.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The new case drip is intentional as fuck for the record.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't suspend someone based on a contract. You suspend them on their conduct.
Well his conduct been atrocious. 66 massages and more then a third have filed cases against him, He even continued his behavior after some of these cases were filed. I would guess his behavior with women predates any of these lawsuits. He's got a problem . I also think the NFL won't like someone trying to game the systems by having a contract that by design safeguards him from much of a financial hit year one from a suspension he's expecting.