• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nice article (KIRK COUSINS IS ELITE)

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The cap is based on revenue, end of story. There is no need to exempt a position. There is no need to get a handle on anything. The QB cap percentage hasn’t really changed.

The idea of a luxury tax is horrible also. Just look at what basketball has become. 4 teams vying for a championship while the others go through the motions.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The cap is based on revenue, end of story. There is no need to exempt a position. There is no need to get a handle on anything. The QB cap percentage hasn’t really changed.

The idea of a luxury tax is horrible also. Just look at what basketball has become. 4 teams vying for a championship while the others go through the motions.

Disagree @ MLB. There have been numerous different champs & contenders over the last 10 seasons. It is less predictable than the NFL. It is not just about spending $$ - it is about making the rt moves. Look at the Astros - they went from worst to champs. There are certainly more than 4 teams that have a chance to be WS champs next season. The luxury tax also gives some $$ back to the lesser revenue teams. Honestly - if the team is run correctly I don't see many teams in MLB that don't at least have a shot of winning a title in the next several years or at least be in the mix.

Agree to disagree on this one.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gke - I agree w/ you @ basketball (didn't read your reply correctly) but again that goes way beyond having the most $$. Believe it or not the Knicks are one of the profitable franchises in the NBA yet they have been horrible in the recent past because of bad FO moves (just like bad teams in the NFL). Golden State & CLE don't have the most $$ in the NBA - they just made the rt moves & have the fortune of getting top players.

An article several years ago showed how the Wizards could have had just about all of the Warriors players but they didn't due to poor drafts & poor trades (they had Curry, Thompson & Green available to them but passed). Again - running the team correctly is more important than just having money. NBA is also much different than say the NFL since one or two players can make a huge difference.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW - if this were just about $$ - I would be more than fine with that idea since that may be the only way that Snyder could actually build a SB winner (i.e. buy a team). I would have no remorse whatsoever (as likely Warriors fans or similar don't nor should have).

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far at the Sr bowl the skins have interviewed white , Rudolph and silvers for what it’s worth

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far at the Sr bowl the skins have interviewed white , Rudolph and silvers for what it’s worth

So two guys that should be available 3rd round or later, and one guy (Rudolph) that should be there in the 2nd or later.

Maybe they are thinking logically. :pound:

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I predict this will be a major topic with the next CBA. These owners have got to get a handle on this.

Yeah, I was wondering about that as well. Another issue.........

I've read Odell Beckham wants to be the NFL's highest paid player. That will be an ointeresting situation to keep an eye on as well if that's true.

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They almost have to do something about it. With every new contract the market value climbs. When Rodgers is ready for a new deal he’ll probably get over 200m or close

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They almost have to do something about it. With every new contract the market value climbs. When Rodgers is ready for a new deal he’ll probably get over 200m or close

If Rodgers gets 200M, it will still be about 15% of the cap.

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I’m just saying eventually it’ll get out of hand, because market value just keeps rising. Jimmy g contract will be interesting to see, but if he believes in himself, the best play might be to make them franchise him regardless

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m just saying eventually it’ll get out of hand, because market value just keeps rising. Jimmy g contract will be interesting to see, but if he believes in himself, the best play might be to make them franchise him regardless

The NFL averages 9 Billion a year in profits.

Some how I don't think player salaries will become a problem.

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed, I’m just thinking about the cap. If the cap keep rising at a steady pace then it probably won’t matter

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, I’m just thinking about the cap. If the cap keep rising at a steady pace then it probably won’t matter

The last CBA had a provision that the cap had to be at least 48% or so of the profits of the NFL. So as the NFL makes more money, the cap will continue to rise. The only way the cap boogeyman catches up with the NFL is if

1. DirecTv goes ass up
2. People stop going to games all together
3. Hell freezes over.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It will never get out of hand unless the NFL begins to have a reduction in profits.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will never get out of hand unless the NFL begins to have a reduction in profits.

At this very moment there are at minimum ten city/states that would like having an NFL team call them home. Most of these city/states would gladly help build a new stadium on the tax payer dime.

The NFL is at the sweet spot with 32 teams. 4 Division winners and 2 wild card teams per conference. Short of the owners and players doing something really stupid, the NFL wont be in a position of not making a profit. A large profit. At the end of the day, both sides are riding the gravy train with biscuit wheels. And neither side is going to pull an NHL move to damage the fan base.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

At present they eat about 12.5% of the cap.

How much of that do players see? That's the real issue. The NFL is America's most popular team sport, by a significant margin according to some. Yet NFL players are paid the least on average of the 4 major team sports of North America. That being NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL. And NFL contracts are garbage.

So if making 9 billion dollars a year, why do so many players get ask to take pay cuts? I've never heard of a coach taking a pay cut. Or aqn owner for that matter. Never mind who you think is more needed to the league, owners or players, the most correct is both are, but NFL players need to pull their head out their asses, make a long term and get prepared for a possible work stoppage (which would be terrible for the game at this time) but it is what it is. While owners are certainly needed to make the NFL what is is today.

Nobody come to see them play or has their fathead on a wall. Players need to stop being so damn short-sighted though and realize they have some juice. They just need to use it in a more constuctive manner for themslevs.

Last edited:

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How much of that do players see? That's the real issue. The NFL is America's most popular team sport, by a significant margin according to some. Yet NFL players are paid the least on average of the 4 major team sports of North America. That being NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL. And NFL contracts are garbage.

So if making 9 billion dollars a year, why do so many players get ask to take pay cuts? I've never heard of a coach taking a pay cut. Or aqn owner for that matter. Never mind who you think is more needed to the league, owners or players, the most correct is both are, but NFL players need to pull their head out their asses, make a long term and get prepared for a possible work stoppage (which would be terrible for the game at this time) but it is what it is. While owners are certainly needed to make the NFL what is is today.

Nobody come to see them play or has their fathead on a wall. Players need to stop being so damn short-sighted though and realize they have some juice. They just need to use it in a more constuctive manner for themslevs.

Just under half of the $9B in profit goes to the players (46-49%). PLayers get asked to take a pay cut for one of two reasons.

1. The team needs a little more cap room to either sign some one new or resign another player.
2. The player is worth keeping, but not at the salary he is being paid (D. Hall this past season)

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

At present the following is true in terms of 2018...
Stafford-19.7%
Luck-20.5
Several others are at 14-15% with new contracts since 2014.

NFL has the largest amount of players to pay.
NFL has the least overhead because they only play 16 games.

The NFL doesn’t exist without the businessmen who take the monetary risk. Without the current players, every single one of them, there would still be a league and it would continue to get stronger. Take away all ownership and current deals, there is no league. Eventually there could be but it would take a long time to find the people to organize it and build it up.

The XFL, as poorly as it was done, took two years to start. It was founded in 1999 and didn’t start until 2001. It also only had eight teams.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To answer your first few questions there's this:

The reasons why NFL players make less than their NBA ...
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/why-do-nba-players-make-so-much-compared-to-nfl-salary-average

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's going to be a strike after the 2020 season, be prepared for that, how long will it last? That depends on how long players on the low end of the pay pole can and are willing to hold out.

Players Need to Do More Than Think About a Strike; They ...
bleacherreport.com/articles/2722443-players-need-to-do-more-than...
Jul 21, 2017 · History shows if NFL players go on strike, ... of labor action—likely a strike—born out of the feeling that ... the NFL for Bleacher Report.