• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Withholding Money from Players, Going to Be $120 Million "poorer"

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Report: NFL withheld more than $120 million from players over 3 years

The NFL Player's Association (NFLPA) was on the winning side of an arbitration that's expected to cost the NFL more than $100 million.

Arbitrator Stephen Burbank sided with the NFLPA over an issue that had to do with the pool of revenue (or shared revenue pool) that the NFL splits with its players. According to the Wall Street Journal, the league is going to have to return about $120 million in revenues that it wrongly collected over the past three years.

An NFL spokesman confirmed to the WSJ that the NFLPA had won the arbitration, but wouldn't specify the amount that the NFL would be paying back.

The NFL's annual revenue is the number that's used to determine each year's salary cap. The revenue comes from multiple sources, including tickets sales, sponsors and money made by the league during the playoffs.

In this arbitration, the NFLPA filed a grievance because "NFL owners had mischaracterized" a ticket revenue exemption that didn't exist in the Collective Bargaining Agreement, according to NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith.

"They created an exemption out of a fiction and they got caught," Smith told the WSJ.

The NFL can withhold revenue money in some instances, like PSLs and on deals that include stadium naming rights. However, the NFL can't just decide to withhold revenues, it can only withhold money that was agreed to in the 2011 CBA.

Thanks to Burbank's ruling, the extra $120 million collected by the NFL is expected to be returned to the shared revenue pool "immediately." Of that total, $50 million is expected to go to player salaries, which means the salary cap should go up by about $1.56 million per team in 2016, which makes perfect sense.

Back in December, it was reported that the 2016 salary cap would be $153.4 million. That number changed on Feb. 15 though, when NFL Network's Rand Getlin reported that the number would likely be $155 million, or just over $1.56 million higher.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFLPA originally discovered the discrepancy while doing an audit in January and Smith says that the player's association will continue to be "diligent."

"People have become accustomed to how we protect our rights when it comes to player discipline," Smith said. "We are equally diligent when it comes to getting our share of revenues."

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not like this really will cause concern for them.. This is pocket change for them

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Report this morning on CNN said that the IRS will be paying much closer attention to professional sports franchises "exemptions" under current tax laws. They reported that some previously believed exemptions may actually be slush funds that are being used for loans or business deals where the money should be a tax. Basically the owners can use the money for anything and if they lose it, it was a tax that should have been paid and they're not really losing anything. If they make money, it's a double down and the profits are in the slush fund.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Report this morning on CNN said that the IRS will be paying much closer attention to professional sports franchises "exemptions" under current tax laws. They reported that some previously believed exemptions may actually be slush funds that are being used for loans or business deals where the money should be a tax. Basically the owners can use the money for anything and if they lose it, it was a tax that should have been paid and they're not really losing anything. If they make money, it's a double down and the profits are in the slush fund.

You mean that professional sports teams aren't legit? I'm totally shocked,

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Owners tried to do an accounting trick & the NFLPA caught them. Now instead of a $154 mil salary cap, it will be closer to $156 mil.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Owners tried to do an accounting trick & the NFLPA caught them. Now instead of a $154 mil salary cap, it will be closer to $156 mil.

And I am sure ownership will try to pull another fast one over the league again.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I am sure ownership will try to pull another fast one over the league again.

If you ain't lying, you ain't trying. Overall, the amount of money is pretty insignificant for individuals owners. Just penny pinching by billionaire standards. For players, that is the difference between every team signing a veteran or signing a undrafted rookie.

I expect owners to continue to try retain as much of the revenue as possible & I also expect the players to continue to scrutinize the owner's books.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you ain't lying, you ain't trying. Overall, the amount of money is pretty insignificant for individuals owners. Just penny pinching by billionaire standards. For players, that is the difference between every team signing a veteran or signing a undrafted rookie.

I expect owners to continue to try retain as much of the revenue as possible & I also expect the players to continue to scrutinize the owner's books.

I expect this to continue until the league ends (which it will never) . Everyone out to only look out for themselves.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect this to continue until the league ends (which it will never) . Everyone out to only look out for themselves.

Yep. If the NFLPA had the means to financially short change the owners for the players benefit, you know damn well that they would do it.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fat Stacks!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's how the rich do it...find small cash cows and milk them.

The players caught up to that one.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big Ken you know it's all about integrity of the shield. I wonder if Goodell voluntarily returns any of his salary considering his bonuses are based on revenues???

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Subpoena Goodell and Vincent's personal phones TODAY! I bet the IRS would be interested to hear those conversations? I'm sure the IRS would promise only to listen to conversations that only dealt with NFL finances.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In before Hammer starts his "Free the NFL campaign" and turns this into Patriotgate.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"But we must protect the integrity of The Shield" - Roger Goofdell

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1