• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL retakes control of brain research as touted alliance ends

Vegas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,631.83
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since announcing a $100 million commitment to concussion research last year, the NFL has funded just one study examining chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or CTE, the brain disease that has shaken pro football. But that study isn't focused on football players.

It's focused on jockeys.

The project, run out of a four-story brick building in northwest London, aims to find out why high concussion rates in horse racing don't translate into "deteriorating brain function in later life," a question that many scientists believe has little to do with football. The study is led by an Australian researcher who once described American coverage of CTE as "carry-on and hoo-hah" and a British doctor whose concussion presentations sometimes have included flippant jokes and video of tumbling jockeys set to slapstick music. At one presentation, the widow of a CTE victim, a former British soccer star, was so offended she stormed out of the room.

The jockey project is part of the NFL's latest effort to stake out a powerful role in research that holds the potential of its own undoing.

OTL: NFL retakes control of brain research

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ugh can we stop with the brain trauma crap?

"Hmm, I'm going to put on a hard helmet and ram into other people at maximum speed in an attempt to 'blow a guy up'! That causes brain trauma!?" YA THINK!? WTF is research going to do? It's pretty fucking obvious how these guys are getting concussions.

Who cares? Everyone knows the risk, people are still going to play it. You think any of these guys are gonna sacrifice millions of dollars for a job at a gas station? Give me a break.

Ya know I know I'm coming off pretty ignorant now, so I'm going to just hit post reply and accept the facepalm/dislike votes.

WayfaringStranger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"Hmm, I'm going to put on a hard helmet and ram into other people at maximum speed in an attempt to 'blow a guy up'! That causes brain trauma!?" YA THINK!? WTF is research going to do? It's pretty fucking obvious how these guys are getting concussions.

Who cares? Everyone knows the risk, people are still going to play it. You think any of these guys are gonna sacrifice millions of dollars for a job at a gas station? Give me a break.

Ya know I know I'm coming off pretty ignorant now, so I'm going to just hit post reply and accept the facepalm/dislike votes.

Let's also stop with automobile safety research. I mean... they collide and go boom! We know the risks when we get into the car, who cares about forwarding safety? Right?

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's also stop with automobile safety research. I mean... they collide and go boom! We know the risks when we get into the car, who cares about forwarding safety? Right?

Exactly. I mean Jesus, people are dipping hard into social security this day and age. Time to start stop investing so much in safety research. People are living into their 70s and 80s and taking a dump in their own wheelchair because we're trying to prevent so many deaths. Darwinism is all but dead. We're safe enough. And kids? Kids all we ever talk about is safety. Kids gotta wear helmets for everything but jerking off these days.

Zooky

I make chunk plays.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:L