• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A call for end to Tackle Football for kids.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hockey doesn't have a CTE issue?

I didn't play football till I was 10 and due to my weight had to play with the 13 year olds. Started boxing at 10 as well and had to box older guys cuz of my weight. I ain't gonna front. Boxing was rough for a minute, but it got better and would serve me well later in life. I think I would've liked playing hockey.

And then potentially you'd be like a litany of former NHL enforcers who are fucked right up from bare knuckles fighting.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVED a good hockey fight.

But the results do not lie.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And then potentially you'd be like a litany of former NHL enforcers who are fucked right up from bare knuckles fighting.

What are you calling me a goon?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What sort of pee-wee football doesn't group by age and/or weight ? But even with that, some kids, aside from being just plain better, mature physically and from a coordination standpoint at much different rates. That makes a big difference when they're crashing into each other, rather than in other sports where less capable kids might just be embarrassed rather than badly hurt.

I started playing full pads/contact FB when I was 11 and it was all grouped by age/weight.. until HS of course. I started in 1966 and played from age 11-18. I received my first concussion the first year I played and received at least 2 others in subsequent years. The first was a fluke.. I got kicked in the chin. It probably made the others more likely, though. Even then the doctors warned of the cumulative effect of multiple concussions. Mom didn't want to let me continue playing but dad overruled her. I loved playing the game and am glad he did.
My first of a few was at 12. A helmet to my chin and de-cleated after catching a quick slant(held onto the ball:thumb:). Played the rest of the game with a bandage taped to my chin and don't remember a single play after that. Another time in HS I was hit in the head, kept playing and after the game slept for about 5 hours. A big no-no nowadays. Part of the problem was just the lack of awareness. Coach would say are you OK? You'd say yes and they sent you back out. Now they sit you down and check you out. Not a great solution but at least it is better. Plus helmets are better too.

We can't wrap our in bubble wrap and expect them never to get hurt. Heck, they could die on the bus on the way to School. Want to ban School?

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Heh. Yeah, I was on the late freight far as hockey goes, NHL 97 Sega Genesis, baby. Playing that is how I learned the rules of the game. I liked the fighting in hockey as well as its the fairest/best form of player self-enforcement in team sports. But I remember a time when hockey highlights in the local news was nothing, but the fights, at least here in Cali. Don't know if I'd want to be an enforcer though. Boxing in the ring/fighting in the streets is one thing. Puttin em up with another dude while on the ice in skates seems like a whole other level of fighting.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My first of a few was at 12. A helmet to my chin and de-cleated after catching a quick slant(held onto the ball:thumb:). Played the rest of the game with a bandage taped to my chin and don't remember a single play after that. Another time in HS I was hit in the head, kept playing and after the game slept for about 5 hours. A big no-no nowadays. Part of the problem was just the lack of awareness. Coach would say are you OK? You'd say yes and they sent you back out. Now they sit you down and check you out. Not a great solution but at least it is better. Plus helmets are better too.

We can't wrap our in bubble wrap and expect them never to get hurt. Heck, they could die on the bus on the way to School. Want to ban School?

I was 11. The Y only had a team for < 100 lbs and one for > 100. I weighed 83 lbs. We sucked.. both teams, but I was the best player on the < 100 team so the last game they put me in the > 100 lb game at DB and RB. We were already down like 30-0. Their WR had at least foot and 70 lbs on me and they started going to him, just throwing it high. I tried to jump a route, he caught it over my head behind me and was heading to the house. I ran him down and they told me I tackled him. I don't remember anything except waking up with my dad and coach looking down at me, telling me nice tackle. I guess his heel caught me in the chin. I was groggy as hell. After sitting out a couple of plays my dad and coach asked me if I wanted to go back in. I really didn't..I felt kind of sick. But I went back in at RB. Thankfully the game was just about over and they didn't call my number. That was the only time I was out cold. The other concussions were just a getting my bell rung kind of thing... and like you say, you'd maybe sit out a play.. sometimes not even that, and go right back in. I used to get migraines I thought may be related, but that was temporary.

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every pee-wee league I have ever seen groups players by weight/size.

Then you have the kid who hasn't hit the growth spurt yet and gets discouraged because he's getting pushed around but in fact is a pretty good athlete.

You can say this about any popular youth sport.
yes but they not tackling