• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A call for end to Tackle Football for kids.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I drive thru Lansing more days than I don't.

Was gonna show you these new e-cigs I got.

I haven't been to Lansing in a long time. Is Connextions still there?

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I played football in HS and college then coached briefly. Not in favor of peewee football. For one thing, kids below high school are growing at different paces. You always have the one kid who is more physically mature then the others and he and Daddy think he is a superstar. 2-3 years later everyone catches up with him. Then you have the kid who hasn't hit the growth spurt yet and gets discouraged because he's getting pushed around but in fact is a pretty good athlete. If kids want to learn the game play flag football, get the fundamentals without the contact.

Its also pretty annoying watching a 7-8 year old waddle around in helmets and pads that are way too big and heavy for him

What sort of pee-wee football doesn't group by age and/or weight ? But even with that, some kids, aside from being just plain better, mature physically and from a coordination standpoint at much different rates. That makes a big difference when they're crashing into each other, rather than in other sports where less capable kids might just be embarrassed rather than badly hurt.

I started playing full pads/contact FB when I was 11 and it was all grouped by age/weight.. until HS of course. I started in 1966 and played from age 11-18. I received my first concussion the first year I played and received at least 2 others in subsequent years. The first was a fluke.. I got kicked in the chin. It probably made the others more likely, though. Even then the doctors warned of the cumulative effect of multiple concussions. Mom didn't want to let me continue playing but dad overruled her. I loved playing the game and am glad he did.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's actually playing at the high school age and up, which leads to these issues. Kids playing is literally the LAST thing they should be focusing on.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I played football in HS and college then coached briefly. Not in favor of peewee football. For one thing, kids below high school are growing at different paces. You always have the one kid who is more physically mature then the others and he and Daddy think he is a superstar. 2-3 years later everyone catches up with him. Then you have the kid who hasn't hit the growth spurt yet and gets discouraged because he's getting pushed around but in fact is a pretty good athlete. If kids want to learn the game play flag football, get the fundamentals without the contact.

Its also pretty annoying watching a 7-8 year old waddle around in helmets and pads that are way too big and heavy for him

Every pee-wee league I have ever seen groups players by weight/size.

Then you have the kid who hasn't hit the growth spurt yet and gets discouraged because he's getting pushed around but in fact is a pretty good athlete.

You can say this about any popular youth sport.

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hockey has the same issues, doesn't it.. or is it all no checking for youth hockey now ?

There are a lot of concussions in hockey, but it's not an intentional part of the game. A football player is likely to see a dozen hard head hits every practice and every day. For hockey, that's maybe only one or two.

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every pee-wee league I have ever seen groups players by weight/size.

I've got a friend whose son was told he couldn't play football because he was too big. He tried soccer but lost interest in it. By the time he was in his twenties, he was bigger than Vince Wilfork.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As many have alluded to a lot of this can be avoided thru enforcing proper tackling techniques. From Pop Warner thru the NFL if you curb the missle like projectile tackle I'd be willing to be dollars to doughnuts you would drastically cut down the number of concussions. Yes there will always be some concucussions but not at the alarming pace we're witnessing currently.

For those parents who aren't allowing their children to play in somd of these contact sports, I hope they also make their kids wear helmets when skate boarding, riding a bike, wrestling with friends...

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What sort of pee-wee football doesn't group by age and/or weight ? But even with that, some kids, aside from being just plain better, mature physically and from a coordination standpoint at much different rates. That makes a big difference when they're crashing into each other, rather than in other sports where less capable kids might just be embarrassed rather than badly hurt.

I started playing full pads/contact FB when I was 11 and it was all grouped by age/weight.. until HS of course. I started in 1966 and played from age 11-18. I received my first concussion the first year I played and received at least 2 others in subsequent years. The first was a fluke.. I got kicked in the chin. It probably made the others more likely, though. Even then the doctors warned of the cumulative effect of multiple concussions. Mom didn't want to let me continue playing but dad overruled her. I loved playing the game and am glad he did.
My pee wee did it by age...4 year bracket...8-12. I guess we weren't a bunch of pussies!:eek::suds:

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've got a friend whose son was told he couldn't play football because he was too big. He tried soccer but lost interest in it. By the time he was in his twenties, he was bigger than Vince Wilfork.

Did he play in high school?

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are a lot of concussions in hockey, but it's not an intentional part of the game. A football player is likely to see a dozen hard head hits every practice and every day. For hockey, that's maybe only one or two.

The weapons grade "protective" armour hockey players wear is a huge issue.

Go back to soft elbow and shoulder pads.

Guy clips you with an elbow on a fly by at 25 MPH and you are in trouble.

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those parents who aren't allowing their children to play in somd of these contact sports, I hope they also make their kids wear helmets when skate boarding, riding a bike, wrestling with friends...

My daughter got used to the idea of wearing a helmet for downhill skiing. I bought one the same day. She got a helmet the same day she got a bike seat for the back of my bike. I was already wearing one. Telling her to wear a helmet and then going bareheaded myself would have been hypocritical.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My pee wee did it by age...4 year bracket...8-12. I guess we weren't a bunch of pussies!:eek::suds:

Or maybe an area where there weren't many boys, or boys interested in playing football. Where I grew up age 8-12 with no weight restrictions would be a few hundred boys. Some HSs play 6 man FB for the same reason. 8 YOs playing full pads tackle FB against 12 YOs is nuts, imo.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My daughter got used to the idea of wearing a helmet for downhill skiing. I bought one the same day. She got a helmet the same day she got a bike seat for the back of my bike. I was already wearing one. Telling her to wear a helmet and then going bareheaded myself would have been hypocritical.
Awesome how to lead by example. I'm not sure how many of my generation can still count to 10 with all the things we did without all the safety equipment.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hockey doesn't have a CTE issue?

I didn't play football till I was 10 and due to my weight had to play with the 13 year olds. Started boxing at 10 as well and had to box older guys cuz of my weight. I ain't gonna front. Boxing was rough for a minute, but it got better and would serve me well later in life. I think I would've liked playing hockey.