• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Civil War. Goodell vs Jones.

Zooky

I make chunk plays.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL is reportedly in a civil war as Jerry Jones and Roger Goodell square off

Civil War? The NFL Is On Brink of Roger Goodell vs. Jerry Jones Disaster

hi-res-7ba4ad6858f3b13998bdf448d76ef48c_crop_north.jpg

War could be on the horizon for the NFL. Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, one of the most powerful men in American sports, set his sights on NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell—and the league is on the verge of a major conflict, ESPN reported on Friday.

Jones is reportedly livid over the suspension of star running back Ezekiel Elliot, which stems from a domestic abuse case. It could be the final blow in a storm that has been brewing for years, as a group of NFL owners have grown dissatisfied with Goodell's leadership.

Ratings unquestionably declined amid a series of crises—concussions, bungled responses to protests, seemingly arbitrary discipline decisions—and yet the commissioner has only expanded his power.

When Jones learned of the Elliot suspension, he told Goodell, "I'm gonna come after you with everything I have," an insider told ESPN's Seth Wickersham and Don Van Natta Jr. Referencing the NFL's absurd fight with the New England Patriots and its owner (Deflategate) Jones reportedly added, "If you think Bob Kraft came after you hard, Bob Kraft is a p---y compared to what I'm going to do."

When Wickersham and Van Natta Jr. drop a big NFL piece, fans take notice. They're plugged in. So it's huge that they wrote, "Roger Goodell is in a battle few saw coming, with the league's membership teetering on an all-out, unprecedented civil war."

The last few years of Goodell's reign have been defined by turmoil. After years of trying to side-step or deflect the issue, the concussion crisis is clearly not going away. Just this Thursday, researchers said they were able to diagnose a living patient with CTE, the degenerative brain disease that has plagued a number of retired players.

After sparking league-wide protests that caught the attention of the president himself, Colin Kaepernick is suing the NFL, claiming they colluded to keep him out of the league. And at nearly every turn Goodell—now perceived as a villain among many fan bases—has bungled discipline matters (Deflategate and the Ray Rice domestic abuse incident, to name two cases), which is a bad PR look for the league.

But all that would likely be fine for owners if the NFL was growing. Ratings are down, however, and have been falling for a couple of years. The big bucks are made on TV deals, so declines in viewership are something NFL owners are sure to notice.

There doesn't seem to be enough support to push Goodell out of his job just yet—he's currently negotiating a new contract that'll likely net him at least $40 million per year, ESPN reported. But Jones, who is seen by many as a powerful shadow commissioner of sorts, is game for a fight and reportedly has a couple owners on his side and a handful of others who aren't happy with Goodell, but perhaps aren't ready for a sweeping change.

It's unclear where things go from here, but it's a stark shift from recent memory, when the NFL was an unstoppable behemoth and everyone was fat and happy. War is hell.

Zooky

I make chunk plays.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry Jones to Roger Goodell: 'I'm Gonna Come After You with Everything I Have'

Following the announcement of Dallas Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott's six-game suspension in August, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones reportedly vowed to get back at NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell.

According to ESPN's Don Van Natta Jr. and Seth Wickersham, Jones said the following to Goodell during a conference call: "I'm gonna come after you with everything I have."

Jones reportedly then made mention of the New England Patriots' Deflategate situation and added, "If you think [Patriots owner] Bob Kraft came after you hard, Bob Kraft is a p---y compared to what I'm going to do."

Jones has publicly fought against a contract extension for Goodell and threatened to sue the NFL if the extension were pushed through.

Per Ken Belson of the New York Times, NFL owners rejected Jones' request for a special meeting to discuss the Goodell situation.

On Sunday, Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio reported that some NFL owners have discussed the possibility of threatening to force Jones to forfeit the Cowboys franchise due to "conduct detrimental to the welfare of the League or professional football."

Jones went on to call that idea "laughable" and "ridiculous" during an interview with 105.3 The Fan (h/t Roy White III of Shan and RJ).

Elliott served the first game of his six-game suspension last week after an NFL investigation determined there was enough evidence to conclude he physically assaulted then-girlfriend Tiffany Thompson last year.

The 2016 rushing champion is eligible to return in Week 16. The Cowboys are currently 5-4, and they would not be a playoff team if the season ended today.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jones is just a pimple on Goodell's ass

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL....yet RG works for Jerry and 31 other owners.
Hardy a pimple on his ass, but it was funny

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ESPN story is pretty balanced in my view. Jones is losing a power play with Blank and some of the other owners. But he's not entirely wrong about the league being run poorly by Goodell. It's just that everyone sees through that and knows, Jerry never complained before, he is only complaining now because his boy Zeke got slapped.

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what I got out of reading that is that Bob Kraft is a pussy

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerrah is pure comedy enjoyment. Everytime he says something I find myself laughing.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ESPN story is pretty balanced in my view. Jones is losing a power play with Blank and some of the other owners. But he's not entirely wrong about the league being run poorly by Goodell. It's just that everyone sees through that and knows, Jerry never complained before, he is only complaining now because his boy Zeke got slapped.
Jerry was upset with Goodell way before Zeke was suspended.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's just an apologist.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL....yet RG works for Jerry and 31 other owners.
Hardy a pimple on his ass, but it was funny
Didn't Jones voted RG in as commissioner of the NFL?